I played the PRS Mayer Sig amp today.

SirGilmour

Supporting Member
PRS brought us the Mayer Sig to jam on today. Superb cleans. Big, fat, rich clean tone with an amazing amount of sustain for a clean amp. Very nice natural compression. Not that loud for 100 watts which is apparently by design. The "gain" circuit is interesting also. Its a circuit inserted after the pre section. I also messed with the loop which is ultra transparent. With a Dispatch Master in there is sounded awesome.

So Paul Smith told me that this amp was in the cue before John even approached them about it. It then became a collaboration with John (Mayer) and things were tweaked until it is what it is today. They went so far as to fly Paul and Doug Sewell to Johns house so they could A/B it with Johns blue Dumble while Doug would swap components in and out until it was so close John couldn’t tell the difference with his back to the amps. Pretty cool!

Just though i'd share.

Last edited:

Darkness

Nice. Doug Sewell makes some nice amps at PRS. A bit pricey though, just like the instruments. I wish they'd redesign the cab. You can't see the panel unless you are near eye level with the amp. Seems a small cut out above the pots would fix it. That probably the only thing I don't like about my Archon combo.

Space Jazzer

PRS brought us the Mayer Sig to jam on today. Superb cleans. Big, fat, rich clean tone with an amazing amount of sustain for a clean amp. Very nice natural compression. Not that loud for 100 watts which is apparently by design. The "gain" circuit is interesting also. Its a circuit inserted after the pre section. I also messed with the loop which is ultra transparent. With a Dispatch Master in there is sounded awesome.

So Paul Smith told me that this amp was in the cue before John even approached them about it. It then became a collaboration with John (Mayer) and things were tweaked until it is what it is today. They went so far as to fly Paul and Doug Soule (SP?) to Johns house so they could A/B it with Johns blue Dumble while Doug would swap components in and out until it was so close John couldn’t tell the difference with his back to the amps. Pretty cool!

Just though i'd share.

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Gain circuit after pre-amp sounds intriguing. Did the overdrive react a lot to different EQ settings? I had a modded (completely hacked up, I should say) Marshall once, with a similar approach to gain staging. The "texture" and response of the distortion could be varied a great deal by fiddling with the bass, mid and treble knobs. That beast chewed up pre-amp tubes like nothing I've ever seen before or after...

BMX

Supporting Member
Yeah, I hate amps that have the knobs laid out like this on the front. I either need the fender tilted solution or the knobs on top. I need a setup where if I'm in a dark bar and I have to adjust a knob on the fly that I can do it quickly. I don't want to be bending over in front of the amp and because there is an overhang and is dark you can't quickly read what knob is what. Aargh.

Other than that seems like a cool amp though.

CallEOD

And a bargain @ $8500.00 ... :idea

IDK about anyone here but i would rather have the most raunchy old rat style $1K Marshall JMP than the cleanest sounding $10K sig amp.

Guess im just a dying breed.

Oh yeah ... turn that thing down & get off my lawn.

Last edited:

SirGilmour

Supporting Member

And a bargain @ $8500.00 ... :idea

IDK about anyone here but i would rather have the most raunchy old rat style $1K Marshall JMP than the cleanest sounding $10K sig amp.

Guess im just a dying breed.

Oh yeah ... turn that thing down & get off my lawn.

Now now its only $7100 for the head and cab :D

boldaslove1977

Silver Supporting Member
i'd love to try this... would love to own it... but even at half the current price... i still don't know that i'd bite.

if you're really chasing mayer tones... there are two rock heads to be had for less than $2K!

not to mention... you can spend all you want on john's gear... many of us have... but remember.... you can't buy these.... can't even get clones!!!

boldaslove1977

Silver Supporting Member
btw... on the subject... jm posted a few cool videos/pics on his facebook/instagram pages from rehearsal in an empty arena in albany tonight. tour starts friday! don't have tickets yet but i'll find my way to at least one of the nyc/philly/dc shows.

and john... if you're reading this from your "mobile office" you should brand and sell those things too! could be sitting on the next big thing!!

stratpaulguy86

Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure PRS has no intent of selling a lot of these...will they even become collectible? I don't think PRS amps have the brand power among guitar nerds like Two-Rock does so buyer beware, I think these things could take a hit on the used market.

For the JM fans, just buy a decent Two-Rock, Fender, or D-style amp and you are pretty much there.

Trending Topics