I played the PRS Mayer Sig amp today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SirGilmour, Mar 28, 2017.

1. 80sboy

80sboy Member

I usually make fun of the people who gawk at amp prices here but this has almost crossed the dumble threshold (where you switch to making fun of people who buy them)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. JS-29

JS-29 Member

That solo tone sounds great. Wonder why he didn't stick with that? Probably because he's like the rest of us....

3. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Did you try those other amps at John's stage volume? I'm still not hearing anything I couldn't get extremely close to with a Strat on the neck pick-up and many other amps (and maybe an OD or boost pedal), turned up loud.

4. scottcityman

scottcityman Silver Supporting Member

Wow. That's. An awesome. Tone.

5. captwillard

captwillard Member

I think that he is popular enough that manufacturers take notice. As it turns out, John has has some pretty nice stuff that he worked with PRS on. It also turns out that John has a pretty cool side gig with Dead & Co where some of this new PRS stuff is being used.

6. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I think this (below) is essentially the same BIG neck position strat tone. I don't know the song, and only spent 5 minutes dialing in this tone (JTM45 and an Kinsgley Jouster pedal with it's OD set low, and a Soul Food with it's gain all the way down before that). The amp was pretty loud. iPhone mic.

LOL, Blast away....

Red House, dsmc80 and sfarnell like this.
  7. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

Hi Joe. I'm not wanting to get into the debate but I wanted to say I appreciate you actually putting up a video/clip to prove your point. So many people on here have a lot of talk but never back it up with any music/playing. I think you're playing is great; I don't know if people will say it sounds the same or different. I suspect there will be differing opinions. I personally think a Two-Rock Mayer Sig sounds quite different to the traditional vintage amps like a Fender or Marshall; especially at stage volume. The Two-Rock Sig can get really loud without a hint of harshness; the bass and soundstage is just huge on the Two-Rock Mayer Sig. Here is clip of my Two-Rock Sig and my buddy playing it when we brought it out to the studio to mess around the other day. I personally gig a small Fender-ish 1X12 combo and that's perfect for me but definitely the Two-Rock is quite a different animal in the room. The clip is the Two-Rock Mayer Sig with essentially the same pedal chain as yours and no backing band so it hopefully allows people to make a better judgement for themselves. The clip was done with an Apple iPhone 6. Cheers.

sfarnell likes this.
  8. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Sounds really good. Of course, my tone in my clip isn't exactly the same as John Mayer's on that pro video in an ultra-pro concert setting - and neither is yours -- but I was just going for a big, but not too gainy Strat neck-pick-up thing, which I essentially what I hear in the JM clip above. I hear what you're saying -- it's like a slightly overdriven fat tone with the edges sanded off. Turn that up loud and it does sound huge. Making sure that "edges-off" tone is audible (without being crazy loud) in a band mix might require you to put more treble/presence into it.

sfarnell likes this.
  9. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Yours sounds more distorted - a great tone but different

Wyzard likes this.
  10. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

Actually, Jon isn't saying anything of value other than to be defensive.

It's incredible that folks can't have civil conversations about human behavior without taking the points as personal affront.

11. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Your rig sounds great. More edgy than a Fender but to be expected with a JTM45. Sounds like my tweed Bandmaster, sort of.

You should post more clips of your playing to back up your opinions. I don't have the guts.

12. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

Are the amps in this performance the one's in question?

13. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Interestingly, I've never dialed in that tone before (I use a Kemper for all gigs anyway), I usually use a more distorted and compressed OD tone, and with humbuckers rather than a Strat -- plus I'm not a neck pick-up solo guy normally. That said, I could play on that tone for hours - it was really big sounding in the room -- but too loud for more than a few minutes at a time, even in my 400 SqFt. room.

sfarnell likes this.
  14. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I think that's it. Sounds good, like a good Fender.

15. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Certainly looks like it.

:)

16. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

People are actually buying it? Damn, now I feel bad about making fun of it.

But if they're not buying it for status, why are they buying it?

Because they're JM fanboys? (Now I don't feel so bad...)

Because they think it has awesome tone? That's hard to believe.

Because they already own every other decent amp? I might believe that...

Seriously, why?

I should add, part of my derision is that I consider JM a fairly average player. Nothing wrong with average, but I don't understand why people admire him so much.

17. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

My guess is people are buying it because they want it.

18. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Sure, but why do they want it?

19. TCMx3

TCMx3 Supporting Member

if someone buys a >3k amp why does that somehow equate to having infinite money to throw around on stuff?

I continue to have the same problem with this amp; for 6k I dont see the provenance to justify it and Ive yet to see a compelling enough demo that I would go track one down. this thing is basically the amp version of a Hublot to me; gauche and pretentious all at the same time.

I genuinely want to know why the demos sound so bad overall. I find it very unlikely the amp isnt capable of some really nice tones. But what I can say is that you can tell from a cell phone video that the new TR Classic Reverb is probably a better buy if you wanna sound like JM (or just have a nice big clean amp, a severely underrated aspect of these amps).

20. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

It doesn't mean you have infinite resources, but it does mean that you're in a category of amp buyers. If you're already spending $3000 or $4000, you're much more likely to pony up $6000 than they guy who bought a $800 Orange at guitar center on Saturday.

And I'm with you, I don't hear it. But Mayer is a bit of a tone junkie, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't a great sounding amp. $6k great? I'm skeptical.