I played the PRS Mayer Sig amp today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SirGilmour, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Yep.

2. hurtwoodec

hurtwoodec Supporting Member

Yep

Bluesful likes this.
  3. Mike Lenning

Mike Lenning Supporting Member

I really like the sound of each clip but for obvious reason the PRS seems built for the solo stuff, not as in your face as the SSS. For the trio stuff, well the SSS is downright killer.

4. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Head $5,990 + Cab $1,090 = $7,080. They're practically giving them away.

la noise likes this.
  5. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I know these aren't amazing quality videos, but I'm actually quite impressed with the tone. Better than I was expecting. I've stuck up for the amp in the price discussion, but at the same time I didn't have overly high expectations for it, I was anticipating typical PRS, great quality, attention to detail, good sound, but bland and sterlie, but it's exceeding that. It definitely has its own personality.

6. Bluesful

Is it just me, or is there more top end there?

A little less dark than the old TR rig?

Sounds good regardless.

7. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

This

8. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

9. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

LOL! No. Thank God I only played it for a second. Any longer and there may have been adverse side effects.

PurpleJesus and Bluesful like this.
  10. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

is Math not your first language? :p I'm just kidding, but GEEZ!!!! I've never seen a thread with the price of a piece of gear quoted wrong time after time after time! Everyone knows this amps is $29,642 plus delivery and dealer prep. Rustproofing, fabric protection and speakers extra.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    la noise and Bluesful like this.
  11. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

12. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Fine! So calling the amp "$6,000" is fine if you want inflated numbers! LOL But how many times in this thread have people said the head was $7K, $7,500, $8,000,..... and some whack job thinks it's $29,642 PLUS rustproofing. I'd have to call Paul out myself at that price. I mean, isn't $8,500 enough?

13. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

If there's more top end than usual I'd be pretty willing to bet that a lot of it has to do with woodshedding all that Jerry stuff. I can't tell from an iPhone video on YouTube, though.

Bluesful likes this.
  14. jlb32

jlb32 Member

The amp is great for those that like that tone but personally I think PRS is reaching with the pricetag. They won't sell many at that price around $6K. Maybe that is what they prepared for or maybe they thought the Mayer hype might sell a ton at inflated prices? Who knows, but IMO even most Mayer fanatics won't pay PRS's asking prices for this amp. Just my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong and it will sell like hotcakes. If so that's great for PRS.

la noise likes this.
  15. Bluesful

@AMSnell has already busted that somewhat.

16. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

I'd love for some of our boutique builder friends to de-construct a J-MOD, and give us a rough build price based on what they see.

So Henry, Andy, Brandon, Gary, Alan etc., if you get bored some Saturday afternoon and get a change to peak inside a J-MOD, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

17. hurtwoodec

hurtwoodec Supporting Member

Wasn't the point of the Two Rock Mayer partly to sell Two Rock CRS and Jets or Studio pros?

ie " I'd love a Mayer but can only afford the CRS or Studio Pro" etc

Just like the JMod will sell lots of Sonzera's.

Bluesful likes this.
  18. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Will? I doubt that very much. PRS just can't seem to break into the amp business with any significant sales.

la noise and DiPa like this.
  19. Seth L

Seth L Member

The live stuff sounds pretty good, but there are a lot of amps that will make that particular sound for much less. To each his own.

20. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

lol. Thanks for posting...

Not that anyone cares... but even though I'm not a prs/jm fanboy I think the vitriol against prs/jm is ridiculous. I do think that at the price point of the Jmod you're facing diminishing returns, though perhaps not to the degree of an actual Dumble. Which might be a selling point for the Jmod($150,000 for a Dumble?!? $6000 is a bargain then!). But then a TR/Bludo/whatever at $3k should be even more appealing. Or even a Fender Twin with a Vertex SSS. :hide2

Sorry lol. Anyway, if someone goes to a JM concert and hears the Jmod, or even sees some youtube vids :rolleyes: and decides this is THE toan they always wanted, and their kids aren't starving or whatever, then wtf does anyone else feel the need to bitch about it lol...

That said, the fact that the best sounds seem to be from 2-3 drive/boost pedals running into the front of the amp is a bit of a :messedup

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    hurtwoodec and boldaslove1977 like this.