I played the PRS Mayer Sig amp today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SirGilmour, Mar 28, 2017.

1. MattC

MattC Member

Agreed with all of the above. Probably not the amp for me but if it makes someone else happy, have at it. I don't care what they spend to be happy with their sound.

I've personally found the PRS amps I've tried or owned (sweet 16/Grissom) to be rather vanilla. Not bad by any means but no real character or anything that makes me smile and think "wow, can't get that elsewhere." So, based on past experience, if I were getting into this price range, I'd be much more inclined to go for a boutique D style like a bludo or Welagen.

Guit_fishN and JS-29 like this.
  2. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Hey Jon, see post #91. I did see your post and you had simply quoted someone else who did make a crude comment. I'm assuming he got suspended. You quoted it then posted your thoughts which weren't objectionable at all. I'm assuming Mike nuked it simply because your post included the quote of the crude comment made by someone else.

3. mmarchi21

mmarchi21 Silver Supporting Member

In case anyone is interested there are quite a few audience taped videos up on YouTube from John Mayer's concerts the past few nights in Montreal and Albany, NY. The J-Mod amps and cabs are on stage but it's hard to find a video that is clear enough to really hear what the amp sounds like.

Bluesful likes this.
  4. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

I mean why drive a Mercedes when a Honda will do? Why live in 4000 sq. feet when 2000 will do?

To show you can afford it. Not one person who buys this amp won't tell how much it costs within 2 sentences talking about the amp.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Thank goodness that's actually what happened! Thanks for setting my mind at ease. :)

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  6. Jon Silberman

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.
    Psychological projection - Wikipedia[​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

7. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

:rotflmao

I think you may have just broken TGP. Where will they all go if they don't have us to throw their internet morality at?

8. jpage

jpage Member

9. shredit

shredit Member

How would the Ceritone HRM compare?

10. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

If you're intimating that I have these thoughts and repress them, I assure you that I do not. I can well afford expensive things but my value system is such that I eschew them.

Values - good to have.

11. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

PRS is a [guitar] company .....

I don't care for their guitars even tho some are good looking.

I have no interest in their amps.

Their amps remind me of the MIC Bogner Alchemist line.

After 40 years of gear its easy to decipher the marketing.

This amp marketing isn't even clever its $2K amp + JM = $7.5K amp

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  12. jpage

jpage Member

We get it man. No one is confused as to where you stand, don't worry.

13. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

Yet this thread persists in the cultivation of PRS/JM bling ...

So is it fair to say internet forums are part of the marketing strategy in music gear and not just idle chit chat ?

14. jpage

jpage Member

...and drag along those who get strangely emotional about something so banal.

Mike Lenning likes this.
  15. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

Now that free comedy ... :D

16. Seth L

Seth L Member

Jon Silberman likes this.
  17. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

I wonder if anyone in an audience could hear the difference between the Mayer and the Landau.

18. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone who has ever spent more than $3k for a head/cab really has nothing to complain about. Thats already well above what most people will ever spend for an amp. Once you cross a certain threshold, what does it matter? You spend exhorbant amounts of money on amplifiers. Period.

The difference between say a $1000 Deluxe Reverb reissue and a $3500 Two Rock is far greater than the difference in the same $3500 Two Rock and a $6000 J-Mod, even though the actually dollar difference is the same.

I guess I just don't understand all the fervor over the price tag. Especially considering how much money changes hands on this site. And no matter what there will always be something somewhere YOU can't afford (unless your bill gates).

What I'm still waiting for, is to hear the damn thing in a decent demo that impresses. If it's $6k and doesn't bring some serious tone to the table, then yes, it's just hype and branding on an inflated scale

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    CV-H and Bluesful like this.
  19. Moametal

Moametal Member

Its too bad prs amps have so many haters but as with all things people develops a mindset that something is all good or all bad and keep a closed mind. I have played many prs models and the majority of them are excellent.
    Its tough to break into the market when you have stiff competition in the same price range that offer more bells and whistles with great tones, such as Mesa in the 1k to 2k range. That's what the owner of Guitar Showcase told me. Customers say the PRS sounds great but then buy the Mesa instead. I Would buy 2 or 3 prs amps if i could afford them.

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  20. Jon Silberman

Is it truly a value worth holding to assume the worst of others, of whom you have no actual knowledge whatsoever of their true motivations, because, in your own mind, were you to do something, it would be for a reason you feel is negative?

That's a part of what I meant by "projection."

Think about it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017