I played the PRS Mayer Sig amp today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SirGilmour, Mar 28, 2017.

1. backdrifter

backdrifter Member

Man, thanks for that! I'm certainly guilty of that. :( Not here, in this thread or particular situation, but certainly in others in life. Always fun to learn a bit more about yourself and your flaws!

What's that old saying? Every time you point your finger at someone, four fingers are pointing back at yourself? Yep, that seems about right!

2. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Clearly you do understand the all the fervor over the price tag. You answered it in the two statements I bolded for you. I think the general consensus is the same as yours. We are just not hearing anything special (so far) that appears to justify the price of this amp.

Seth L likes this.
  3. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Stupid argument. I see where you're coming from but it doesn't make sense, that Mercedes would outperform the Honda by a large margin I imagine.

You're essentially saying "why gig with a Two-Rock when a Blues JR would amplify your volume to the same level?

We're all guitarists right? We appreciate that different Amps have different tones?

The arguments about status just don't add up. My local shop has 5 preorders, I know 4 guys now who have these on preorder. No ones saying a thing. TGP would give them a hard time so they remain anonomous. If people were buying these to show off about it, TGP would be the place they do that.

They're not.

4. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Jon, to be fair, there's more projection going on in this thread than the Cannes Film Festival.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

LOL! Love your metaphor. :roll

eriwebnerr likes this.
  6. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

FYI Guys, these are now shipping in July.

7. Mike Lenning

Mike Lenning Supporting Member

I own a Mercedes, have driven a Honda...not even close. I also have owned a Blues Junior and a Two Rock....again not even close. You are right 100%, its not always about status, in some cases it is but for some its appreciating the benefits of one over the other and being able to justify it financially.

Guit_fishN likes this.
  8. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

My original point was that if one wanted to buy one of these amps have at it. My point was that it is luxury item and should be perceived as such. Maybe that is crux of the disagreement, that other's don't perceive it as luxury item.

Today is Red Sox opening day. If I had the choice between sitting in a luxury box (yes, that's what they're called) and be wined and dined behind glass or sit in a box seat along the first base line, I'd take the latter.

9. Chuck Chrome

Chuck Chrome Member

Good for you. Interesting you bring up people immediately bragging about the price of their expensive amp and you turn around and do the same regarding your frugality, self-denial or whatever descriptive you choose. I really don't think you get what Jon was saying at all nor do I think you have any point but enjoy your "values". I'll certainly enjoy mine.

10. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

food for thought:

there are 3 Roland Blues Cube Tone Capsules

New York Blues @ $199 (designed with Oz Noy)
    Robben Ford @ $299 (designed with RF)
    Eric Johnson @ $299 (designed with EJ)
    so that's approx. a 50% markup for the 2 heavy hitters
    maybe they get $100 for each one sold, who knows

so, if you had a $3000 PRS amp (the David Grissom model goes for $3300) and applied the same formula then wouldn't the PRS John Mayer amp be about $4500 with JM getting $1500 for each one?

this amp seems expensive to me
    I know everybody loves JM, but.....

11. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Oh wow, you must be the first person to have that opinion.

What does everyone else think?

Agent76 and SirGilmour like this.
  12. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I was giving an example based on artist markup on another product
    I wasn't just saying I thought it was expensive
    that's the difference between what I posted and some of the other posts

that ok with you?

13. captwillard

captwillard Member

I don't get what point you are trying to make.

14. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Maybe it's been mentioned before on this thread or at another. But it's worth mentioning again:
    If this PRS signature amp had been for Robben Ford instead of JM, there would be nothing but praise & bro-mance for the amp & artist respectively.

But its pretty-boy JM, who gets all the girls... so at this point really, anything associated with him gets a lot of hate on TGP. It's now a cliche here really.

15. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

It's really simple: I don't see John Mayer having a unique/special enough tone(s) that would drive one to buy a bunch of expensive matching gear to get that/those tone(s). Said another way, any guitar tones I've heard from JM seem (to me) to be easily obtainable via readily available, affordable, regular guitar gear -- if you've got the playing skills.

16. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I should've known better........

17. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

When he was using Two-Rocks, you need a Two-Rock to get that tone. A lot of amps are "sort of close," but no, they're not exact. That "hugeness" you get from the Two-Rock sig is just indescribable, its so big, rounded, well balanced, never harsh. I've not found it's equal and I've played most of the close-ish amps. If you were closer I'd invite you round for a couple of beers and the opportunity to demo it, and I'm confident I'd change your views.

Check the solo from around the 3 minute mark. That tone is just glorius.

Now, I've not played the J-MOD yet, but what I do know is that there is nothing but crappy demos out there so far of this amp. PRS aren't doing it any favours by only allowing demo's with their soulless guitars. Also, in demo's, that treble switch is never turned on. You wouldn't EVER DARE of playing the Two-Rock sig without that switch on, it's just too dark for most applications, and assuming Mayer has voiced this similarly (probably has,) then you'd assume the same. Infact, in the latest demo, the guy turns the treble switch on for about 5 seconds at the end and it improves the tone no end.

I'm holding back my opinion on how good this amp sounds until I hear someone demo it with a really nice strat and that Treble switch on. Arguments about the price are just irrelevant in my opinion, you can either afford it or you can't, no need to moan.

18. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

I hope I can find one of these amps used for like $2k in 5-10 years. That's the most I'm willing to pay.

Pretty sure this line of amps is gonna die out from the PRS line in a year or two. Think of all the PRS amps that are no longer in production.

19. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

20. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

lol... someone was going to start this thread... may have well as been you! at least you've actually played it!!!!

glorious is a good word. that's from the continuum tour. his tone has never been better than that. i feel like he's been chasing that sound ever since, and he knows it. i remember when i saw him at MSG on that tour and he hit the first note of that intro solo he does to "belief" to start the show and i remember thinking.... "holy mother of........"

that video is not helping the two rock gas.

Bluesful likes this.