I ported my Bogner 2x12

mcdyas

Gold Supporting Member
Friedman cuts a small port in the back panel to let it breathe a little. I was going to cut some panels to try it open back, but I happened to leave the handle off after swapping in an Alnico Cream and M65 pair. I got a pleasant surprise in the sound with the opening. This leads me to think that either open back panels or a ported panel that I make for it will be a good sound. I had to pull the handle out in order to remove the back panel, so this was just by chance.

WhoJamFan

I cut a vent in the bottom of the back panel of my Avatar 2x12 Vintage and am pleased with the results.
Hiwatt does/did this to their cabs for the same reason, so I tried it when I made a new back panel for the cab. Probably where Friedman got the idea.View media item 40058

mcdyas

Gold Supporting Member
Right, Friedman has a smaller vent like that but in the same area at the center bottom of the panel. If I cut a new panel myself for my Bogner then I will have the other variable of the padding they put on the inside of the factory back panel.

ledzep618

Friedman cuts a small port in the back panel to let it breathe a little. I was going to cut some panels to try it open back, but I happened to leave the handle off after swapping in an Alnico Cream and M65 pair. I got a pleasant surprise in the sound with the opening. This leads me to think that either open back panels or a ported panel that I make for it will be a good sound. I had to pull the handle out in order to remove the back panel, so this was just by chance.
Yeah I know they do. I just (maybe incorrectly) thought that the location of the port was pretty crucial (I.e. a port off the bottom delivers some thump but on up high would let a lot of higher freqs out.

Trending Topics