I put my TU-2 at the end of my chain. What a difference!!!

RDM

This has been discussed before, but I had to bring it up again because I'm a changed man. Some place their TU-2 at the end of their chain due to "tone suckage." I never tried it out of habit and always kept it at the front. Anyway....decided to try something new tonight...and holy crap!

Everything really came alive.

My Wah opened up and the highs are more pronounced and the sweep opened up so much more. Even my DD-20 got a bit brighter and my Barber Direct Drive opened up as well....and sounded less compressed than before.

On a side note, after moving my tuner, I decided to run my BD-2 at the end of my string of dirt pedals, rather than at the begining. NOW my OCD sounds like it should.

It's amazing what buffer placement can get you, tone wise. If you run your TU-2 at the front of your chain....try it at the end. You just may like wha you hear.

teanett

i see so many pedalboards with a tuner first, i don't get it.
you put a buffered pedal first, your dirt boxes are gonna sound like ****. they just don't work correctly.

putting it at the end can make the sound better, or gives it a different flavour.

teXum

Moved my tuner last a couple of years ago, surely made a significant difference. Now I wonder: what would be the result if I had a truly great buffer at the end?

And also, a company in Europe (Skydstrup) sells a dual buffer, great quality, that is meant to be used both in front and at the end. Makes sense, since there has got to be some loss even with just TB pedals. But would even a great buffer like this still interfere with ODs? I still wouldn't put a buffer in front of wahs and fuzzes, put perhaps after these, and before regular ODs, trems, delays?

RDM

I just have all my TB pedals first, and all of my Boss pedals at the end of the chain. I tried throwing a Boss pedal inbetween a few of the TB pedals....and it just didn't sound like it did with the buffered pedals at the end.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
My tuner is on a Y-adaptor parallel to my chain as opposed to inline. For some reason I don't hear much anybody talk about doing that.

DonaldDemon

My tuner is on a Y-adaptor parallel to my chain as opposed to inline. For some reason I don't hear much anybody talk about doing that.
I use the tuner out of my EB volume pedal in the similar way. Everyone complains that the tuner out kills your tone but I have tried playing w/o the tuner plugged in to the jack dozens of times and I cannot hear one single difference.

greatbigz

I think I may have to try this when I get home. I always thought the tuner had to be at the begining of the chain....I will have to see.

greatbigz

I honestly thought that putting it at the end would mess with the frequency, thus mess with the tuning....silly newbie!!

THE BOSS TU-2 sounds like shite if it is before your dirt because it is a buffered pedal.
All boss pedals have a buffer...
so bt this train of thought if you have a boss dirt pedal than all dirt pedals after it will sound like shite?
What about a boss compressor, it too has a buffer and compression usually sounds better before dirt...

I notice no difference when my tuner was the first and when it was the last...

RDM

THE BOSS TU-2 sounds like shite if it is before your dirt because it is a buffered pedal.
All boss pedals have a buffer...
so bt this train of thought if you have a boss dirt pedal than all dirt pedals after it will sound like shite?
What about a boss compressor, it too has a buffer and compression usually sounds better before dirt...

I notice no difference when my tuner was the first and when it was the last...
Yeah....I had my BD-2 in front of my Barber OD pedals and my OCD, and putting it after them changed them. Moving that pedal, and putting the tuner at the end made my board like night and day.

So besides moving the tu-2 to the end, I cant move the cs-3 as the compressor ONLY sounds good at the beginning...

but what about boss dirt, I have an sd-1 and an os-3...should I put these at the END of the dirt line??? currently my dirt chain is
barber ltd
barber direct drive
mi audio crunch
jeckyll hyde
sd-1
os-3
marshall guvnor
marshall jackhammer

would the boss pedals be better off after the marshalls??

RDM

You gotta play with the pedals, and see what sounds good to you. My LTD and DD really opened up with more defined highs after putting my BD-2 after it. Try it and see what happens. You may not notice a difference at all.

Take the CS3 out of the chain, and then put it in, and see what happens. There's no rules. I just posted this because after seeing lots of threads mention the TU2 at the end...I had to try it.....and that got me moving all of my pedals around.

If you didn't notice a difference with your tuner at the end, it may have been due to the other buffered pedals in your chain. Take all the Boss pedals out, then put the TU2 at the end, then add them in 1 at a time.

I spent a good 60 minutes last night swapping out pedals. It was the best hour I ever spent with my pedalboard.

You gotta play with the pedals, and see what sounds good to you. My LTD and DD really opened up with more defined highs after putting my BD-2 after it. Try it and see what happens. You may not notice a difference at all.

Take the CS3 out of the chain, and then put it in, and see what happens. There's no rules. I just posted this because after seeing lots of threads mention the TU2 at the end...I had to try it.....and that got me moving all of my pedals around.

If you didn't notice a difference with your tuner at the end, it may have been due to the other buffered pedals in your chain. Take all the Boss pedals out, then put the TU2 at the end, then add them in 1 at a time.

I spent a good 60 minutes last night swapping out pedals. It was the best hour I ever spent with my pedalboard.
Well my friday night plans have changed! :)
That sounds like a good idea actually!!! I am gonna give that a shot!

teanett

So besides moving the tu-2 to the end, I cant move the cs-3 as the compressor ONLY sounds good at the beginning...

but what about boss dirt, I have an sd-1 and an os-3...should I put these at the END of the dirt line??? currently my dirt chain is
barber ltd
barber direct drive
mi audio crunch
jeckyll hyde
sd-1
os-3
marshall guvnor
marshall jackhammer

would the boss pedals be better off after the marshalls??
with so many pedals, i think it doesn't matter.
i would try to single out all the tb pedals and see what they sound like alone/ no other pedals in chain. then insert the marshalls and bosses one by one in front and end and see what it does to your tone and response.
also, compare the clean sound with and without buffered pedals. in my experience, with three buffered pedals my tone is pretty much dead, non-responsive, tiny and tinny.

jamoed

i put my TU-2 in the split out of my Axess Buffer which is first in the chain. my signal path is:

Guitar>Axess Buffer with Boss TU-2 in the split out>Digitech Whammy 2 w/ Keeley true bypass looper>Teese Wizard Wah>Fulltone Dejavibe 2>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Fulltone OCD>Boss TR-2 Keeley Modded>Ernie Ball Jr. Volume> TRex Replica>Line 6 DL4

does putting the TU-2 in the buffer split out a tone sucker?

Tbone135

I have some things to try tonight now if I end up skipping the movies. Thanks for the suggestion on the tuner, y'all.

DerekEstrada

Question: Even at the end of your chain, aren't your other pedals still running through the buffered Boss pedal? Sorry for stupid question, just a bit confused....

Trending Topics