• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I put SS frets on my vintage Gibson and...

Gibson325

I love them! String bending especially and playing overall is super smooth and they're probably gonna last a lifetime. I'm glad I took the leap, no tonechange whatsoever. Future refrets are gonna be SS for sure. Why aren't they the standard in the guitar world right now? Are we guitarists too conservative, is it too expensive for builders or am I missing something?

Oinkus

Did mine close to 20 years ago and only problem I have is I used med jumbo instead of what you are using. Nib removal was a bigger change then the height by far. They still look and feel perfect that is the perfect size for fretwire and I have tried just about all of it.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Why aren't they the standard in the guitar world right now? Are we guitarists too conservative, is it too expensive for builders or am I missing something?
Because they sound different and there are plenty of people that dislike them.

If I am shopping for "vintage Gibson" guitars, I would be put off by instruments refretted with SS.

If you like them, great. Enjoy them.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
I might need a re-fret soon on my 1979 strat and am considering stainless steel just from what I have read although I have never played any guitars that have them. Hopefully the luthier here will do SS.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
Similar results for me. I’ve had several instruments done by Pete Skermetta in Austin and they keep coming out so great that I’m now spoiled.

I’ve had a ‘78 Custom, a pair of Custom Shop es-355s and a vintage SG Jr all refretted with stainless. I’ll be dropping off another guitar with him this weekend for the same treatment.

The guitars all come back feeling better and sounding better in my opinion and I never really have to worry about refretting any of them ever again.

Julio Iguana

I’m not a metallurgist but I don’t understand how SS frets vs nickel or whatever can affect the sound. I can understand “sound different” if they cause you to finger differently (height/width) etc. Or if maybe you tap constantly! Please Help me understand.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Similar results for me. I’ve had several instruments done by Pete Skermetta in Austin and they keep coming out so great that I’m now spoiled.

I’ve had a ‘78 Custom, a pair of Custom Shop es-355s and a vintage SG Jr all refretted with stainless. I’ll be dropping off another guitar with him this weekend for the same treatment.

The guitars all come back feeling better and sounding better in my opinion and I never really have to worry about refretting any of them ever again.
I had Pete do that to one of mine (it's the DGT in my avatar), and he will do any other that needs frets going forward.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
They’re harder on the tools and the tech. Worth every penny though on anything that’s going to see heavy use, or is decidedly a lifetime instrument.
That"harder on tools & tech" is the story that is offered up a lot - we've got a premium guitar builder who regularly posts here, he's said more than once it is not "more hard" enough on the tools to make a big difference, as to the harder on the tech, it's the same process as pulling and inserting nickel wire, and the cost difference in the material for the SS wire is a very small upcharge, no big cost gulf between SS and Nickel. Mostly the excuses and big upcharges is because the tech just doesn't want to do the job, so he makes the cost stupid more. Why don't those techs just say "I'm all booked up" and be done with it. SS frets seem to be the wave of the future, and they will pretty much end the multiple re-fret jobs any individual guitarist will need; lets hear it for planned obsolescence and a continued work source. Who wants to be the last buggy whip maker?

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I've had four guitars refretted with SS frets. They are my preference. I just had my 2019 Les Paul refretted with SS Jumbos a couple of months ago. I don't wait for frets to wear out. I consider it a HUGE upgrade and definitely money well spent.

Trending Topics