I put the Antiquity pus into the Custom last night

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Patrick Ginnaty, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I bought these (individually) off eBaY (before I actually bought the Custom lol). The first time that I installed them, NOTHING worked. I paniced (I needed it for an audition the next day) and put the original pickups back in (it worked fine all of a sudden hahaha).

Later , I installed a new Mojo wiring harness that I bought from an online pal. It worked fine.

Last night the gf was gone, so I decided to try again. This time the bridge pickup (double cream bobbins) worked, the neck didn't. I resoldered three times, but it seems like the pot is bad... good thing I still have those old pots, eh? I soldered the neck pu straight to the switch wire, it worked (temporarily) so I know that the pickup itself works.

The good news is that the bridge 'bucker is a screamer, it sounded almost like a P90 Junior last night, which ain't a bad thing.

I doubt if I'll work on it tonight, I don't have a dedicated workbench, nor real good light to work with.

First, I'll look at the pot, make sure the ground wire is still attached. But if I HAVE to, I'll put one of the old pots back in...

The old pickups, Shaws, according to the gurus on the LPF, weren't bad. Same way I fet about the Classic 57s on my historic... "not bad".

But the Antiquities... mmmm....!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. frank62

frank62 Member

Nice rig. Can I have the Shaws?

3. n.j.

n.j. Member

Ah, pus, the worst possible abbreviation of the word pickups.

"Getting some new pus" just doen't sound like a positive experience. The only other one that comes close is "pups." It makes my skin crawl.

That aside, congratulations on getting a sound you dig, Antiquities are great, underrated pickups.

4. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I hear that Shaws are worth quite a bit?

I think I'm keeping all of the original parts for now. Somebody might wanna put it back to original someday.

OTOH, I sold the Classic 57s from my '98 R8, *and* the pickguard.

5. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

THIS is the rig of choice...
    [​IMG]

6. frank62

frank62 Member

Have Mercy Baby! That is THE rig. I have wanted a set of Shaws ever since I sold my Heritage 80 Les Paul. I love those pickups!

7. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I had a Heritage 80 Les Paul, also. The Shaws sounded way better than either the DiMarzio PAFs or the Duncan 59/JB pickups I tried in it.

8. frank62

frank62 Member

Yes. I never see Shaws up for sale.

9. HammyD

HammyD Member

Very cool, Pat!!