• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I quit trying last night... (telecaster content)

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve always been attracted to tele’s, they just have a vibe to them, and I always find myself thinking of ways to customize and make them “mine.”

The problem is, I also hate them. I’ve played a lot of them, in fact one of my good friends is a fairly well known builder and I’ve demo’d teles for him in the past.

I’m not sure what it is, but last night while trying out a pretty good “sounding” tele, I finally realized I hate the feel of a tele. It doesn’t set right on my body, I find myself stumbling over notes and lines that are a breeze to play on my other guitars. At first I was interested in finding out why, but as of last night, I just don’t care, I love my LP type guitars and my prs. I don’t think I’ll ever get along with a tele, but it took 10 years to just let that boat sail.

anyone else hate these things?

bsacamano

I like different guitars because they feel different, play different, inspire different playing styles, and sound different.

I have a Strat, a Tele, a Collings I-35 LC, and a Kauer Banshee. All are as different as it gets and that’s why I have them. The key is to not try to play the same on them and not try to make them sound the same.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
You may have luck with a Tele that has features like the guitars you're used to playing. For example, the Tele Ultra has body contours and 6-saddle bridge, so it "feels" very strat-like, but retains a good amount of the tele sound. I can totally relate to the OP as I also have found Tele's to be hard to get used to, as I have been a strat player for decades.

dazco

Exactly the same issues here. BUT, then i played one long enough to where it now feels just like any other guitar, even a strat. Yeah, if i THINK about it while playing i realize it's not as ergo. But i don't notice any discomfort or other ergonomic issues at all.

Thats said, if like u said you gave it 10 years then you are definitely never gonna like em. It took me maybe a year or 2 at most.

Lance

I am kinda new'ish to teles. Got an AS back in 2008, after spinning Brad Paisley's Play release. Did a couple of upgrades, noiseless pups, Callaham bridge, plate and 3-piece compensated saddles. That made it sound better, and more ME. But the my right forearm was killing me every time I'd play it. So, I watched a bunch of tele country type players and noticed how differently the held them, made a couple of adjustments by copying them (typical monkey behavior) and pain was gone. Observation and copy-catting fixed my problems.

Lt Dak

Silver Supporting Member
I love traditional teles. They sound fantastic in the hands of the right player. I am not that player.

I tried off and on for about 15 years, and actually bought/sold two and returned one this year. I like the newer ultras, but the one I returned didn't have the greatest QC. At that price point, I'd rather save a bit more and get a prs or Anderson. So yeah OP, while I wouldn't say "I hate these things," I don't think they're for me at the moment. Maybe that'll change, but I'm not gonna try to force it anymore.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
I was in the same boat. I had a nice playing American Standard Tele and then built an awesome playing Tele style guitar with a USACG neck and body, Fender hardware, Fralin pickups... and still didn't like it. I was thinking about cutting the bridge plate in half and routing it for humbuckers.

Then I had someone build me a tweed Deluxe clone. I fell in love with the Tele with that amp, then I fell in love with the Tele in general and love it with all amps! It's been my number 1 for over 15 years now.

Last edited:

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
I picked one up to play once in 21 years of playing electrics. Not my thing. I love strats , 335s and SGs. I’m fine with that. Not missing a thing.

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't really find them uncomfortable, or especially hard to play.

They don't really do anything for me though.
I don't care for the look, and the sound isn't something I gravitate to.

Brutus

If you CAN adapt to them, play it exclusively. Sooner or later you’ll get there, but...you may get there faster and better with something else. I find Gibsons don’t “get in the way” for me like Fenders do. A lot of guys like their guitar to fight them, but I don’t quite get that. If you can feel a resistance, you’re losing something from the final results. In my case, anyway. Making it work the best you can is where it’s at no matter what you wind up strapping on.

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
Teles are the guitars I always wanted to love, but never could. I had a couple, including a really nice VHR with black guard, ash body and butterscotch finish. I loved how it looked and liked the sound, but the slab body just doesn't work for me. Sigh.

Krausewitz

I’ve always been attracted to tele’s, they just have a vibe to them, and I always find myself thinking of ways to customize and make them “mine.”

The problem is, I also hate them. I’ve played a lot of them, in fact one of my good friends is a fairly well known builder and I’ve demo’d teles for him in the past.

I’m not sure what it is, but last night while trying out a pretty good “sounding” tele, I finally realized I hate the feel of a tele. It doesn’t set right on my body, I find myself stumbling over notes and lines that are a breeze to play on my other guitars. At first I was interested in finding out why, but as of last night, I just don’t care, I love my LP type guitars and my prs. I don’t think I’ll ever get along with a tele, but it took 10 years to just let that boat sail.

anyone else hate these things?
What’s the issue? On a strap?

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
People told me when I got older, I'd appreciate the Telemacaster. It took until I hit half a century, but they were right.

I'm still a Strat guy at heart, but I own two fine Telecasters now. I like guitars to fight back just a hair. And the Teles do fight back a bit more, even more than my Strats and definitely more than my buttery playing Les Pauls.

I definitely have a certain sound I like out of a Tele. I can't abide when they overly produce nasally sounding "twang." Too country. Nothing against country.

I like 'em to spank, funk up a bit and be percussive. I've learned to play and set them up in ways that can bring this out, but both of my Teles just have this sound too.

All this said, I'm thinking of selling one, not because it's a bad guitar. But because I only have so much playing time and being a Strat guy at heart means I don't get to my Teles as often.

OP, if you don't like a Tele, I'd say no reason to keep one. We all like different things and maybe it's just a sound you don't dig.

Texsunburst59

I've NEVER EVER been able to bond with a "Classic" Tele body and pickup configuration.

I do own several "Classic" Tele's, and I've really tried to make them work in a band setting,but I was never inspired enough to keep trying.

I finally found "THE" Tele style guitar that works for me.

It has a very comfortable belly cut, and amazing comfortable neck, and it only weighs 6 1/2 lbs.

This Tele also has an amazing combination of pickup options that allow me to play just about any style of music on it.

My '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop IS the only Tele I'll ever play live and be confident doing so.

Trending Topics