• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I quit trying last night... (telecaster content)

Benz2112

Silver Supporting Member
I caught the tele style bug two years ago, and now I have 3 t style guitars, all drastically different. It is a basic formula, and works with a variety of hardware. The slab body and traditional pickups don't work for everybody, but that's what body contours or a neck humbucker are for.

20200402_105429.jpg 20200309_205857.jpg IMG_20191117_112444_834.jpg

This thread is an interesting read for me. I've always disliked the look of most any guitar that isn't shaped like a strat or superstrat, especially LPs and Teles. So much so, that I've never even held a Tele. But, since I dabble in country-ish guitar stylings on occasion, I've always wondered if I should get one - basically just for the hell of it.

So, I've recently been tempted to buy either a Brent Mason Telecaster (ugly as F I think, but some cool features) or a Kiesel Johnny Hiland Signature (actually pretty decent looking and very customizeable). But since I've always been a 24 fret superstrat guy and always will be, I have a feeling that this would be a mistake.

And most of your posts are doing a great job of confirming that I shouldn't bother, so thank you for saving me from myself!

JB6464

I feel the exact same way with a Gibson Les Paul .
I've owned almost a dozen of them over 30 years trying to force myself to like them and still can't bond with them .
I love the classic look of the LP as much as Fenders but it feels like a heavy boat anchor hanging off my shoulders with a set of railroad tracks to jump over on the flat 12* fretboard ..
No matter if it's the studio model or historic Gibson LP , they will not stay in tune past two songs for me . My friend even had Dan Erlewine set up his 54 junior and his prize LP's and in 5 minutes I was back on the tuner .
I believe it's because the strings angle after the nut to the tuners that cause it which forces you to file a slight angle min the nut slots .
I don't have that issue with a PRS or Fender's , they stay in tune unless you do double bends from hell back to back during your sets .
So I kept one LP for studio use and moved on to what works for me best Tele's and Strat's , and if I need fat thick rock tones I just grab the Tele Deluxe with humbuckers , game over .

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
I want to love a Tele but I just haven’t found the right one. I want a super fat sounding Tele with growl, and all the Teles I’ve owned have been wimpy and thin.
You need this...of course it ain’t a Tele ;) Super fat sounding with Broadcaster Bridge and Middle, and the upper switch is for Parallel or Series in positions 2 and 4. Seriously FAT!

TT-335

I’ve always been attracted to tele’s, they just have a vibe to them, and I always find myself thinking of ways to customize and make them “mine.”

The problem is, I also hate them. I’ve played a lot of them, in fact one of my good friends is a fairly well known builder and I’ve demo’d teles for him in the past.

I’m not sure what it is, but last night while trying out a pretty good “sounding” tele, I finally realized I hate the feel of a tele. It doesn’t set right on my body, I find myself stumbling over notes and lines that are a breeze to play on my other guitars. At first I was interested in finding out why, but as of last night, I just don’t care, I love my LP type guitars and my prs. I don’t think I’ll ever get along with a tele, but it took 10 years to just let that boat sail.

anyone else hate these things?
Ive had a similar experience with Les Pauls. I played them for 12 years exclusively, 5 years professionally. Then one day, I decided I actually disliked the switch location on the upper bout, not being by the knobs and electronics, still love the tone. Before that, I had an instance where I decided, tremolos just aren’t for me, bye-bye Strats. Silly, but I have switched to 335’s and Rickenbackers and haven’t looked back. I do own a ‘52 tele, and love it.

Never fear change, it’s all progression to higher learning and experimentation. Lots of the greats did the same thing.

tonedover

I’ve always been attracted to tele’s, they just have a vibe to them, and I always find myself thinking of ways to customize and make them “mine.”

The problem is, I also hate them. I’ve played a lot of them, in fact one of my good friends is a fairly well known builder and I’ve demo’d teles for him in the past.

I’m not sure what it is, but last night while trying out a pretty good “sounding” tele, I finally realized I hate the feel of a tele. It doesn’t set right on my body, I find myself stumbling over notes and lines that are a breeze to play on my other guitars. At first I was interested in finding out why, but as of last night, I just don’t care, I love my LP type guitars and my prs. I don’t think I’ll ever get along with a tele, but it took 10 years to just let that boat sail.

good thread, lets see if you get the same hate that i got earlier this month when i reasonably explained why i dont like Les Pauls.... so far no death threats here, so you need to squeeze harder.....

although, its typically the “ mustang sally brigade” that gets bent out of shape easily (the internet is for serious threads only!!) and those guys dont play teles quite as often as LPs... you may get off easy here...

ps: teles are great compared to doo doo Les Pauls...

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
I want to love a Tele but I just haven’t found the right one. I want a super fat sounding Tele with growl, and all the Teles I’ve owned have been wimpy and thin.
Maybe you tried this, but if not—add some extra gain going into your amp. Heck, even just change your amp settings. You can’t go from HB to single coil and keep the rest of the signal chain set the same way. Or, you can, but you will get a very different sound. The wimpy and thin makes me react this way. There are just too many people playing teles in all styles, and wimpy doesn’t usually come to mind.

A few years ago I saw Bill Kirchen in a small club, and besides being generally blown away by his playing, he did a 25 minute version of Hot Rod Lincoln where the guitar solo was basically was a montage of many great recognizable rock and blues riffs. All on a (custom) Tele, going into a BF Deluxe, with a TS as his only pedal. Hendrix sounded like Hendrix, BB like BB, etc. It was astounding to me. In his late 60s at the time, he even ended up on his back for Sunshine of Your love, and again, got that thick woman tone just right.

SirJuxtable

You ever try Joe Barden pickups? I have some friends with those in their teles and those things growl and are plenty fat imho.

DonP

Been into guitars since 1985. Had everything except a Tele. Not interested and never will be.

Amp_Addicted

My first guitar heros were Steve Cropper, James Burton & Keith Richards, so I had to own a Tele. I now own 6 of them. The Telecaster is definitely a state of mind. The 70's era Telecaster custom is my ultimate guitar.

Valtyr

i Don’t hate them, but I’m never comfortable playing one so I don’t own one any longer. I have the same issue with LPs.

effectsman

I love the Tele shape the most out of the major shapes of Strat, Tele, 335 and LP. After that I think its up to you how you alter that recipe to suit your needs and sounds you are shooting for. You don't have to limit yourself to the recipe Leo came out with.

I get mine with belly cut and forearm contour and two humbuckers.

monkeybike

Please give us details. I used to have a Strings and Things guitar with that body shape, and have been looking for a source for that body. Where did you get that guitar?
sorry, not my guitar. It was a Warmoth off Reverb.

hank57

Raised on Jazz Bass
First electric was strat
And then many decades later i can finally play Less Pauls and SGs.
For years the Gibson bridge was just something I could not relate to. Couldn’t figure out what to do with my right arm and hand.

BlueRiff

You may have luck with a Tele that has features like the guitars you're used to playing. For example, the Tele Ultra has body contours and 6-saddle bridge, so it "feels" very strat-like, but retains a good amount of the tele sound. I can totally relate to the OP as I also have found Tele's to be hard to get used to, as I have been a strat player for decades.
I think the one big thing even with body contours, a Tele’s shallow neck horn on top pushes the neck out when standing (neck heavy balance) vs a Strat with a long neck horn bringing the neck in towards you more when standing (to see this - compare on a Strat and Tele which neck fret on each guitar are even with the top strap post). To me a Strat feels much better and under control but I cannot stand trem bridges in any guitar. If I could have the Tele pickup and control config on a Strat body that would be best.

Bob Arbogast

Gold Supporting Member
I got my first Tele in about 1994. Since then I've almost always had at least one Tele. To me, a vintage style Tele feels like home.

Trending Topics