• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I quit trying last night... (telecaster content)

HERSCHEL

I'm with the OP. Traditional Teles are just junk, for me.(I'm also finding Les Paul's not very comfortable lately )Luckily, there are some easy fixes available. Add body contours and a six-saddle bridge (without the edges), and suddenly it becomes very playable.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
2 pickup, solid body, bolt on neck, 25.5 scale.
Mix and match features and you will come up with something that you like.
Call it a 'Tele' if you want because it has all been done, anyway.
They are probably the most versatile raw workbase.

Lwilliams

Gold Supporting Member
I think all guitar players should have, at least:

Tele
Strat
Les Paul
HD28
J45

Other guitars can be added to "fill in" areas. But those 5 will get you pretty much any guitar tone you need.

The Tele started it all. I have several. At one time, I had 8 Teles with some other guitarss. But the Tele is always consistent.

It can also be used as a weapon when the unruly drunk starts something at the club gig!

Gclef

Teles are not really my thing but I own one.

The mahogany/ebony warmoth fatback neck on alder body and the harmonic design vintage plus pickups make it plenty beefy yet still a tele.

I shouldn't like it as much as I do.

Coopdeville

Hey I get it... certain guitars are for certain players (not necessarily skill or style, but what’s comfortable). when it comes to the big names in guitar I could never get into LPs or SGs... it wasn’t until a year and half ago I finally got into strats... as for teles- the tele was my first electric, and there is no way I could ever part with them- so should you ever end up with a telecaster, I can always take it off your hands free of charge.

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
Quite a few of my friends have them and love them. But I just don’t connect with them. Solution? EBMM Valentine.

jblake

Gold Supporting Member
I’m another member of the “Want to love Telecasters but can’t” Club. I’ve been through a few in the last decade. I even tried an Esquire for a while. If I play one exclusively for a couple of months it starts to seem better, but the moment I pick up my Strat, it’s all over.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Anyone else hate these things?
No.

There are many types of Telecasters. After playing them off and on since the seventies I finally found a couple that I really like.

My favorite is an American Deluxe HH FMT with an ebony fretboard, locking tuners, satin finish neck, flame maple top, and contour body like a Strat with both belly cut and beveled top.

The neck is excellent, one of my all-time favorites, the body is comfortable...much more than a standard Tele, and the S-1 system gives me six different pickup selection options.

This is not your grandfather's Telecaster and it's not for everyone but it's my favorite Tele by a long shot.

I also like the American Elite Telecaster. Similar neck but with a compound radius, single coils, and belly cut but no top cut.

Wiring diagrams:

American Deluxe HH FMT

https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_assets/549136/200076499/010-1670_1680B_SISD.pdf

American Elite

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/Fender American Elite Telecaster 011421XXXX Service Manual REV A 10-26-15.pdf

Mr Fingers

I share the OP's experience. I don't dislike Teles at all, and have one still and played one as my primary guitar for maybe 15 years. But I don't reach for one anymore. Nor do I reach for my Les Paul. I once considered them timeless, but they're not. For me, there are innumerable fine guitars out there, and among the ones I consider great, the basics are all good, so it's secondary distinctions that guide my choices. The clunky look and body edges of a Tele don't appeal; I'm just super-bored with fussy LP flame/burst/pickup mania. I'll take a Strat (or Strat-style) over a Tele any day, and since nobody's playing "Beano"-toned leads anymore, which is sort of fine, most modern humbuckers are not calling my name. I love all that stuff; I'm just elsewhere when I play now. My go-to guitars are a Versoul Henry, which has unique poickups and a wonderful, clear voice, and a beater Strat. When I want to go vintage and classic, it's an SG/LP Custom, not my LP. I picked up my LP a few days ago to do some playing, and it felt clumsy at first, then familiar, but no longer exciting at all. It was like an old friend. An elderly friend, that is.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve owned many Teles, but I always end up getting rid of them...just have a hard time bonding with them, the inherent twang is inescapable and the sort of compressed tone/feeling when you dig in. I know many will disagree, but that’s always been my experience. Strats and Jazzmasters have always been my thing when it comes to Fenders. That said, I still have my offset Tele which I love...it’s more ergonomic for me and the mahogany body imparts a bit of extra warmth, and it doesn’t seem to have that kind of compressed attack at all. Maybe someday I‘ll find a more traditional iteration that works for me, but for now this one isn’t going anywhere.

B9A5A0AC-80B7-45EB-B4C5-9272BD9F89D2.jpeg

zeffbeff

I’ve always been attracted to tele’s, they just have a vibe to them, and I always find myself thinking of ways to customize and make them “mine.”

The problem is, I also hate them. I’ve played a lot of them, in fact one of my good friends is a fairly well known builder and I’ve demo’d teles for him in the past.

I’m not sure what it is, but last night while trying out a pretty good “sounding” tele, I finally realized I hate the feel of a tele. It doesn’t set right on my body, I find myself stumbling over notes and lines that are a breeze to play on my other guitars. At first I was interested in finding out why, but as of last night, I just don’t care, I love my LP type guitars and my prs. I don’t think I’ll ever get along with a tele, but it took 10 years to just let that boat sail.

anyone else hate these things?
Dude, I am the same way about Telecasters. That’s why I got a sort of Strat Tele hybrid guitar. Guts of a Tele on a Strat body shape.

The tone and magic of the Telecaster comes from the pickups, bridge, and string through body design. Those elements can be applied to any number of body styles.

You should consider a hybrid as well!

middy

I’ve always been attracted to tele’s, they just have a vibe to them, and I always find myself thinking of ways to customize and make them “mine.”

The problem is, I also hate them. I’ve played a lot of them, in fact one of my good friends is a fairly well known builder and I’ve demo’d teles for him in the past.

I’m not sure what it is, but last night while trying out a pretty good “sounding” tele, I finally realized I hate the feel of a tele. It doesn’t set right on my body, I find myself stumbling over notes and lines that are a breeze to play on my other guitars. At first I was interested in finding out why, but as of last night, I just don’t care, I love my LP type guitars and my prs. I don’t think I’ll ever get along with a tele, but it took 10 years to just let that boat sail.

No, but I feel the same way about your post. I just don’t care. :p

Lacking Talent

Gold Supporting Member

I love them, in fact, but when I want Tele tone at my disposal without as much "fight" from the guitar, I reach for the shorter scale length and LP Jr. feel of this...

Something for you to think about, maybe -- if Tele sounds are to your liking.

Riffzilla

I have this with strats - some of my favourite players use them but I can't get it to work for me or what I play. I also find them really comfy sat down but on a strap they hang funny on me and everything feels like it's in the wrong place with an awkward neck angle. I'm really a Gibson player but teles are a bit more up my street - the shorter squat body is more Gibson in feel. I'd love a double bound black one. Slowly coming round to Fender now I've learnt to let go of "needing" to play 10s which have always been a bit stiff and awkward for me to play on a 25.5".

RJLII

When I was too cool for school, I thought a Tele was kind of a joke. There were the days of three bolt necks and bullet truss rods. You could get the ones from the 50's for cheap in pawn shops, but the finish was yellowed and the fingerboards were all worn and stained. The Les Paul and the Strat were the only way to roll. I played (and subsequently purchased) my first Tele in about 1995 and was hooked. I found my keeper (CS '51 Nocaster) about 12 years ago. I've made a couple mods. It's a great guitar.

Reactions: Cb

Trending Topics