• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I really hate the color of a gold top

wahfreak

Silver Supporting Member
Serious question. So what’s the deal? Many people get a more than a little misty eyed over gold top Les Pauls. Like there is some magic in the gold paint that makes them better than other LPs. I get the rarity of the early ones but this seems to spill over into modern LPs too. It just not a color that intrigues me, in fact I think they are kinda ugly. Is it something else or just nostalgia?

Yamaha 350

Serious question. So what’s the deal? Many people get a more than a little misty eyed over gold top Les Pauls. Like there is some magic in the gold paint that makes them better than other LPs. I get the rarity of the early ones but this seems to spill over into modern LPs too. It just not a color that intrigues me, in fact I think they are kinda ugly. Is it something else or just nostalgia?
That is your problem.

1605789969599.png

Astronaut FX

I'm not sure I have an answer for you, but I'll add my two cents.

I really like the look of a gold top Les Paul. And to some degree, that's a real contradiction for me, because I hate almost anything else that's gold. I won't have a guitar with gold hardware, I really hate the look of yellow gold jewelry. Yellow gold on anything just looks "cheap" and gaudy to me.

But there's something about the look of a gold top Les Paul that I find appealing. Maybe it's simply the throw back nature of it, although I also hate the concept of relic'd guitars.

I do have a 2012 (non-relic) gold top P90 Les Paul that I really like. But I'll be damned if I can reconcile how it is that I like it but loath most anything else gold.

09Goldtop2012.JPG

Attachments

Guitarworks

If you like Sherwood Green, Lake Placid Blue, Inca Silver, or Burgundy Mist, then you like metallic colors. Goldtop Gold is just another metallic color.

I don't have a thing for Goldtops or bursts and I don't jones for Gibson products, but I will say that the Bullion Gold finish that came on LP Classics 20-30 yrs ago looked very tasteful to me. I preferred that shade of gold over the bronze gold of 50s LPs by far.

Trending Topics