• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I really hate the color of a gold top

Vaibhav Joshi

Yeah, I don't like the gold and black top Gibsons myself. Burst finishes are nice, including the blue ones.
Eastman LPs have some tasty colours too.

I think the trapezoidal inlays are annoying, an impediment really.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
much like my anti LP thread Jon, its a touch tongue in cheek, a dab of troll, and 3/4 cup of “something new to talk about on TGP”

bake at 425

voila : all the fun haters you can shake a stick

having posted alongside you on so many topics, im surprised at your response.
I'm going to take the time to respond on the merits because I know you mean well in your post despite my disagreeing with parts of it.

The surprise is mutual.

You start by saying you're entitled to post what you want and insinuate I'm lacking for commenting negatively in response.

Then you respond negatively to my post and tell me you're surprised at my response.

I must admit, I don't recall posting alongside you before anywhere here. But that's not important.

What might be is that if you want to post, in your own words, "a touch tongue in cheek, a dab of troll, and 3/4 cup of 'something new to talk about on TGP'," I have no problem with that. I truly don't. Be my guest.

Just grant me the same freedom to post my response as you want for yourself.

I don't think this is asking too much. And this will be my last comment on it because I think we must understand each other now even if we continue to disagree.

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm going to take the time to respond on the merits because I know you mean well in your post despite my disagreeing with parts of it.

The surprise is mutual.

You start by saying you're entitled to post what you want and insinuate I'm lacking for commenting negatively in response.

Then you respond negatively to my post and tell me you're surprised at my response.

I must admit, I don't recall posting alongside you before anywhere here. But that's not important.

What might be is that if you want to post, in your own words, "a touch tongue in cheek, a dab of troll, and 3/4 cup of 'something new to talk about on TGP'," I have no problem with that. I truly don't. Be my guest.

Just grant me the same freedom to post my response as you want for yourself.

I don't think this is asking too much. And this will be my last comment on it because I think we must understand each other now even if we continue to disagree.
no problem with that my friend :)

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
I've been slightly ambivalent about Gold Tops in the past but have to say the aesthetic is really growing on me - especially with soapbars and cream plastics. I like the fine metallic grain of a Gold Top finish, not keen on 'sparkly' gold finishes seen on some guitars.

Also Gold Top is one of the few finishes available with a natural finish on the back - I have an aversion to the maroon/burgandy/wine/red staining on some LPs.

,,,likewise Tobacco Sunburst - which I love :)

Manslick

They look great in photographs. They outshine all the solids and bursts. Very eye catching. I had a GT LP and own a GT Parker fly. Love them

Gavin

Silver Supporting Member
I have a thing for Goldtops. For me, my tastes have changed over the years. I used to love over the top quilted maple in brilliant colors but I've always had a soft spot for goldtops. I currently own 2 electric guitars (though one is currently for sale) and you guessed it...both goldtops.

120702970_10217911496647295_4170578081499005728_o.jpg
125775797_10218200484431809_8249293728624831305_o.jpg

I haven't noticed anyone putting down other colors or saying gold tops are superior, it's just a style that a lot of people like. The two guitar/color combinations that make me drool are (1) butterscotch blonde tele, (2) TV yellow LP Special. I may have to throw in a cherry red SG, those kill me too. It's just a personal preference, though, I don't care if other people love them or hate them.

That70'sBro

I still can't forget the original beat to crap Goldtop/P90s Lp I played briefly at a vintage shop over 20 (or maybe closer to 30) years ago (through a vintage tweed super no less). Resembled the guitar pictured here:

The guitar at the time was tagged at $8K, the amp at (I think) $2K. I had to pass as they were both a bit out of my price range.

Last edited:

Beto

Silver Supporting Member
Like most other things in the world,

Some love it
Some like it
Some find it interesting
Some don't care about it
Some find it unpleasant
Some find it disturbing
Some hate it

Unless there is someone threatening the OP and forcing him to play a goldtop, there's nothing to see here.

Trending Topics