• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I really hate the color of a gold top

wahfreak

Silver Supporting Member
IMO not liking something is fine, posting that it's ugly is bad form. You gotta know that if they are popular there will be lot's of people who's baby you just called ugly. I can certainly understand that statement drawing a backlash that would be more FU than a rational discussion.

My .02 is that there's a favored guitar look for everyone, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think they are fine looking guitars, some are spectacular. Reacting to other peoples outsized love for a particular guitar with a private 'ewwww' is fine, but why rain on someone else’s enjoyment?

I have noticed many people in this world seem to feel a need to convince others that their personal opinion is the right one. I’ve never really seen the point in that.
Liking something and not liking something is never a rational discussion. I like broccoli, you hate broccoli. No real reason, it just is.

No one is trying to convince anyone that there opinion is right. On the contrary, based on the responses in this thread it appears others are trying to convince me I’m wrong...for my opinion.

Threads are started every day around here about things they don’t like. Floyd Rose, Cort guitars, Ibanez skinny necks, metal music, blues music, delivery services, geez people hate hate.....but create a thread about not liking the color of a guitar and it’s blasphemy or “bad form”.

TP Parter

Lol, another absolutist affirmation post. Good for you.

There is no particular finish/color I absolutely across the board cannot stand, though there are many specific executions of finishes that leave me flat. Depends on the guitar and how well (subjectively) it is done.

Case in point, I am not a big neon/flourescent color fan, but my buddy's Ibenez Frank Gambale was a killer looking guitar with it's funky neon green/yellow finish.

TP Parter

Ya know... if I was offered a sunburst Les Paul Standard or a Goldtop with P90s I would have to have a think about it. The Goldtop is the less obvious choice, but there is something cool about a nice one. Especially if it has a stopbar tailpiece right behind the bridge pickup (none of the faff of a trapeze or separate bridge and tailpiece). Just the right mix of posh and workmanlike appointments for me. I also can't think of players totally synonymous with goldtop P90 Les Pauls (the dude out of Sunn 0)))?) whereas the Standard is quite typecast now.

Saying that, not all goldtops are created equally. The '50s finish is an amalgamation of pigments, particles, layers of finish etc. They wear organically and inconsistently and seem a little chemically unstable. Gibson were trying to make a 4K dazzling gold finish and they only really got some of the way there I guess.

Where I share OP's ire is with boring poly goldtop finishes that are either a washed out bronze colour or a custard yellow, and totally flat and uniform in appearance. a good goldtop accentuates the top carve of a Les Paul whereas a bad one seems to make the guitars look flat and a little bloated if anything.
I would take the Gold Top everyday, based on my P90 love alone. Hopefully it is a neck repair/restoration piece so I don't kill the value shaving it down to match the neck profile on my '71 Std, which has the most perfect neck (for me) I've ever played.

I am with you on the range of Gold Tops too.

Last edited:

1973Marshall

This thread for me thinking. It is an oddball color.

Gold is an interesting color in that it can very much be part of the Les Paul look but doesn’t necessarily for as well on say a Strat or Gretsch.

I’m curious what the OP and other folks don’t like? Is it too yellow or dated?

What’s kinda cool about a Goldtop LP probably relates to the fact it was part of the original look and for some reason that color scheme survived the late 60s/early 70s earthy phase, had a bad run in the new wave / 80s rock days but then has worked ever since through grunge etc.

Then again, LPs have gone sorta in and out of style depending on the genre. I haven’t seen many younger players with LPs at gigs the last few years as opposed to Fenders, SGs in the classic colors. Bursts seem almost out of place except for gold tops - so maybe GTs are just an oddball.

It works but it might be that it’s just part of the look. It’s not necessarily a great color scheme in and of itself given it doesn’t work well on other guitars.

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
Serious question. So what’s the deal? Many people get a more than a little misty eyed over gold top Les Pauls. Like there is some magic in the gold paint that makes them better than other LPs. I get the rarity of the early ones but this seems to spill over into modern LPs too. It just not a color that intrigues me, in fact I think they are kinda ugly. Is it something else or just nostalgia?
dang it brother!!

your thread made all these guys post so many delicious Goldtops that it made me start “window shopping” PRS goldtops.... ( remember i dont like LPs) .... believe it or not there arent a lot of PRS Goldtops out there, they only make an odd appearance on certain lines and not every year.... most all have a Glossy neck, with the Pattern WideFat which i dont care for - and i dont like the idea of spending $2k on a guitar that i would want to sand down the neck..... shudder...

then i saw the below guitar!!! goldtop, with a Pattern THIN satin nitro neck YES!! YES!! YESSSSSS!!!

I couldnt take it anymore and i impulse bought a PRS CE24 Limited Run Goldtop with ebony board and 57/08 pups!! my most expensive guitar ever, by far! but it checks all the possible boxes of a grail goldtop in this house

NGD en route, delivery day before thanksgiving!!!

i guess a thank you is in order!!!!

DFF56733-7E70-4B73-930C-BBA7D9B11F3B.jpeg

Last edited:

wahfreak

Silver Supporting Member
dang it brother!!

your thread made all these guys post so many delicious Goldtops that it made me start “window shopping” PRS goldtops.... ( remember i dont like LPs) .... believe it or not there arent a lot of PRS Goldtops out there, they only make an odd appearance on certain lines and not every year.... most all have a Glossy neck, with the Pattern WideFat which i dont care for - and i dont like the idea of spending $2k on a guitar that i would want to sand down the neck..... shudder...

then i saw the below guitar!!! goldtop, with a Pattern THIN satin nitro neck YES!! YES!! YESSSSSS!!!

I couldnt take it anymore and i impulse bought a PRS CE24 Limited Run Goldtop with ebony board and 57/08 pups!! my most expensive guitar ever, by far! but it checks all the possible boxes of a grail goldtop in this house

NGD en route, delivery day before thanksgiving!!!

i guess a thank you is in order!!!!

View attachment 321069
Your welcome!

wahfreak

Silver Supporting Member
I’m curious what the OP and other folks don’t like? Is it too yellow or dated?
Not completely sure why but it just displays a gaudy opulence (to me). Like a grandmother from Florida with the recirculating oil display. Remember all that glass furniture from the 70’s-80’s with the gold hardware? Kinda like that. I would never have a car painted gold or have a gold tooth or wear a gold necklace or wear gold tennis shoes. Then some them turn that funny green.....

Koa Kalani

I LOVE GUITAR PIMPS!
Silver Supporting Member
I have a thing for Goldtops. For me, my tastes have changed over the years. I used to love over the top quilted maple in brilliant colors but I've always had a soft spot for goldtops. I currently own 2 electric guitars (though one is currently for sale) and you guessed it...both goldtops.

View attachment 320071
View attachment 320073
I have always loved gold tops! Yes, the gold is sensational, but it is what they do under colored stage lights that I have always loved the most. The way they assume different colors has always been a turn on for me! I think I'd really like to have another one. Had a Gibson 1960 Classic RI in full bullion gold (sides, neck, top, and back all in gold) and then a 57 RI gold top. Both were super cool. Just a side thought, but I'd like a silver top some day... like a silver sparkle jet or something.

Jutaika

You gotta know that if they are popular there will be lot's of people who's baby you just called ugly. I can certainly understand that statement drawing a backlash that would be more FU than a rational discussion.
Yes, we're on the same page. See my post quoted below.

You gotta admit your thread title was asking for trouble on a forum full of people who own expensive collectibles like this. Look how many rolled out their gold top photos. Oops! It's like walking into a minefield!
The OP's actual question would have been a better thread title. I was more interested in WHY these are popular, but I see how too much attitude from the OP garners attitude from those responding.

HolyGuacamole

Color psychology could play into it as well as the cultural aspect (I design for a living, have studied this topic, and put it into practice):
  1. Psychologically, gold is typically associated with: good cheer, friendliness, confidence, luxury, and treasure. Interestingly enough, too much of it and some also see it as: proud, egotistical and self-righteous

2. Culturally, this plays into luxury and treasure as it is seen as a sign a prosperity. Some cultures use gold as a show of wealth or having "arrived."

3. Others have mentioned nostalgia. The gold top has been around a while and for some their favorite player / band had one, etc. The look of it is also rooted in an older time that a lot of people have fond memories of. Maybe some have warm feelings for grandpa's old radio, a car the family had, etc.

Bottom line, we have reasons for picking colors whether directly (I like gold) or indirectly (I like blue or I wanted anything but gold). Hopefully, that helps answer your question a smidge. Sometimes we may think about and understand why we like it, but most of the time, I think we chalk it up to "we like what we like."

Side note: You'll get more helpful info if you'll tone down your replies (comes off as antagonistic and defensive).

Trending Topics