I really hate the color of a gold top

Romeo

I never really liked the color of gold tops, either. But, there's a coolness factor because some of the greatest and coolest guitar players play them and love them. (Huge Doug Aldrich fan here.) If I could find a great playing and sounding LP gold top for a reasonable price, I'd probably get one.

DVC

I have a 72 Goldtop LP Deluxe. I’ve owned it since 75. She is beautiful in her all original glory. If you played her, held her, you would recant your blasphemy pronto. Oh, she certainly doesn’t worry about such nonsense but I will defend her Without hesitation

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
It's one of the best color with cream plastics and p90s imho.
This. Goldtop is far from my preferred color for a Standard with humbuckers. Not that I'd kick one out of bed!
But with the cream P90s, all the other cream plastic, plus the chrome bridge, it just seems to come together perfectly.

Deepcreek

Serious question. So what’s the deal? Many people get a more than a little misty eyed over gold top Les Pauls. Like there is some magic in the gold paint that makes them better than other LPs. I get the rarity of the early ones but this seems to spill over into modern LPs too. It just not a color that intrigues me, in fact I think they are kinda ugly. Is it something else or just nostalgia?

Llewelyn_Rose

Silver Supporting Member
Serious question. So what’s the deal? Many people get a more than a little misty eyed over gold top Les Pauls. Like there is some magic in the gold paint that makes them better than other LPs. I get the rarity of the early ones but this seems to spill over into modern LPs too. It just not a color that intrigues me, in fact I think they are kinda ugly. Is it something else or just nostalgia?
Well done, you got a post that asks for justification as to why some people make one choice over another on a highly subjective subject to 12-plus pages. Hopefully that’s more than you thought you’d get when you posted and you aren’t disappointed.

Deepcreek

It must be Festivas with the airing of grievances. Gotta love these “i hate it” or “I dont get it” posts. Everyone should like what you like. If you dont like, dont get one....

dangtr

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Tops look like mustard (mooseturd) to me.
Fugly.
Hate em.
Close my eyes and I love em. (Talkin bout Dickey.)

I think some own them because of the nostalgia and some because they like the color and others who like both.

Ya got any extra skunk, you could send me?

Bryanf

I have to love a gold top. Imprinting. When I got my 69 Deluxe in 1970, I took my first hit of acid and ended up staring at it and plucking one open string (can't remember which one) for 3 hours until a good friend pulled it from my hands.

yankeeblues

Wikipedia suggests that the man himself chose the gold finish
Wikipedia says the man himself chose the color to be flashy and to create a look of high quality. Some like it (including me), others not. Luckily, there are many other choices. I’ve seen a few goldtops poorly done. but most look fantasy, IMO. Gaudy, yes. Like rock N’ Roll. If you figure out why we all have different tastes and buy different crap, please let me know.

EdtheTed

Perhaps this question proves we are running out of questions? I've love me a beautiful surf green Fender. But not everyone would. Some people like gold. OK,

yankeeblues

I have to love a gold top. Imprinting. When I got my 69 Deluxe in 1970, I took my first hit of acid and ended up staring at it and plucking one open string (can't remember which one) for 3 hours until a good friend pulled it from my hands.
Just LOL.

NJM74

Gold tops are awesome!! Sunbursts are stupid old man guitars.

Tele Jr.

Goldtop is the only true period correct vintage color. Goldtop on a Les Paul is like blonde on a Telecaster.

Perhaps you can think of it as jewelry. Some people look god with gold jewelry and others look good with silver but look terrible with gold.

A gold top doesn't look good on everyone but it does look good on some people, also depending how they are dressed.

The good thing is that there are so many choices in finishes there's bound to be something there for everyone's taste and style.

Trending Topics