I really hate the color of a gold top

Fullyc

Serious question. So what’s the deal? Many people get a more than a little misty eyed over gold top Les Pauls. Like there is some magic in the gold paint that makes them better than other LPs. I get the rarity of the early ones but this seems to spill over into modern LPs too. It just not a color that intrigues me, in fact I think they are kinda ugly. Is it something else or just nostalgia?
For me it is tied to memories I have of the Cool guys in town playing them when I was younger.

Dasherf7

Serious question. So what’s the deal? Many people get a more than a little misty eyed over gold top Les Pauls. Like there is some magic in the gold paint that makes them better than other LPs. I get the rarity of the early ones but this seems to spill over into modern LPs too. It just not a color that intrigues me, in fact I think they are kinda ugly. Is it something else or just nostalgia?
I see by the 16 pages, my just having come in I'm probably quoting someone by now...BUUUUUT...
Ugly is cool to some people...the rat rod, the nostalgic, OR, one man's trash...you get it.
I had a '69 gold top Deluxe and quite honestly, if it wasn't for the mini humbuckers or if it had been stolen, I'd have it today.
I do get not everyone's "popular" is the same.

croth

Gold Supporting Member
I’m with you on that.

I hate gold hardware, but love gold tops.
I agree.

But, I have wondered, why we don't see "Gold Top" treatments on more non LP model guitars, by various manufacturers. Why isn't there a Gold Top Telecaster that's a big seller?

I think I'm inspired when I see a pair of P-90s and a Gold Top - I get a burst of energy, and sometimes good things happen that otherwise seldom happen with a 24.75 scale guitar.

NINFNM

I feel the same. Gold coloured? c' mon... can't be tackier,
It also pretends to look luxurious but ages in the most grotesque way haha,

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Another photo of my golden lady from 1957...

I can think of any number of finishes that are not very appealing - sliver burst, walnut brown, tangerine burst (1960 LPs), any number of PRS translucent blues...

Some of my favorite are the metallic finishes like Shoreline Gold, or Inca Silver, or Candy Apple Red or Firemist Gold, or Lake Placid Blue, or Pelham Blue...

jbylake

Silver Supporting Member
Yes there is something in the mix. It's called personal taste. Truthfully I don't get to misty eyed over gold tops either, but the folks that like them really seem to dig them.

sunking101

If I could only have one LP Standard or reissue it would be a gold top. My first proper Gibson LP was a gold top and I've loved them ever since.:crazyguy

Marcus C

I don't like the idea of relic finishes. I mean, why pay extra for a new guitar that's had the crap beaten out of it when with a bit of string you can tie your new axe to your own bumper and do the job yourself on the way home?
I totally agree--it makes absolutely no sense to me and cheapens the entire concept of a roadworn, heavily gigged axe! If it isn't aged naturally what's the point? No mojo or vibe is gonna happen that way. I especially hate those guitars that have had a belt sander taken to them, how stupid is that? I also hate fake "aged" yellow binding too...granted it's hard to get that playing gigs in smoky clubs for years at this point. To each their own, however, didn't mean to sound so harsh...

Last edited:

wolfpack

Silver Supporting Member
It's all about the tone and feel of my GT, and a bonus is it's nice on the eyes. 8CAF9A60-EF0C-4DF5-8FAE-DC5FA1B801A7.png

zeppelinpage4

To each his own. Different finishes and colors and styles exist because we all have different preferences. I never liked gold tops, but I don't hate them either. They look pretty classy on certain guitars depending the shade of gold and how the rest of the guitar is styled.

alltone

Other than a Veleno, I've never owned a glitzy guitar...all earth tones and natural finishes.
I have always lusted for a goldtop after playing one when I was just a sprout.
At 67 I finally realized my true id and found this beauty Heritage H 140, then went over the top and found 'the' strap on Ebay... Might as well go 100% glitz or go home. :) DSC00121.jpg s-l1600.jpg Screen shot 2020-10-25 at 11.12.50 PM copy.jpg

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
All these LPs are silly.... now, my godly new PRS i just received with 57/08s.... THATS THE TICKET!
481910B9-5B50-4ACE-8CB9-127424F67030.jpeg

Trending Topics