I really hate the color of a gold top

muzishun

Serious question. So what’s the deal? Many people get a more than a little misty eyed over gold top Les Pauls. Like there is some magic in the gold paint that makes them better than other LPs. I get the rarity of the early ones but this seems to spill over into modern LPs too. It just not a color that intrigues me, in fact I think they are kinda ugly. Is it something else or just nostalgia?
I agree mostly but..

On stage they look awesome.

Not that that matters now.

muzishun

You gotta admit your thread title was asking for trouble on a forum full of people who own expensive collectibles like this. Look how many rolled out their gold top photos. Oops! It's like walking into a minefield! :mob

I have no skin in the game so the thread title didn't bother me. But I was curious about the same question so I kept reading. Maybe if you started with that, instead of a title with the word "hate" in it?
Minefield? Lol

More like shooting fish in a barrel!

MantraSky

Silver Supporting Member
Although a "Goldtop" isn't my first choice (looks alone), I've had the opportunity to play an actual '52 Goldtop (a friend owns, took years to find) light-weight and well taken care of, that's just Beautiful! Yes there is a bit of "Nostalgia" and Mojo as an old Gibson, but when I plugged it into a Fender Twin
the "Resonance & Tone" was amazing, it was a special guitar and I appreciate every minute playing it. I've also played many "Dog Gibson's" (deadwood) of any color. Some Goldtop's have a brilliant-smooth color, other's have a Run-of-the-mill look that I see in every GC or SA stores.

I feel to much attention is built around the "Les Paul Standard" with the "Collector look" (Flame top and Brazilian fretboard etc.) though if you find an "exceptional one" they do sound great. Personal preference for sure but the historic nature of the Gibson Les Paul "Goldtop" is Forever............

Last edited:

Sam Xavier

Dunno. I like them because I like the way they look. Same with the ES-295 in gold. Nice looking guitars, IMO. Doesn't make them inherently better in any way, and if I played one that was a dog, it'd still be a dog.

GiorgioV

I think gold looks great on any guitar. LP, Flying Vs, Strats, Teles...

Maybe a bit too much on bigger bodied instruments like Explorers or ESs but all in all it's a lovely color.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
Hey, I love my R7, but I was always more of a faded burst guy. Couldn't be helped, though. After years of looking for an R8 that played and sounded like I wanted it to, the one I finally found was an R7. I think they're cool enough that mine's been my #1 for a couple of years (after buying and selling a bunch of R8s).

Trending Topics