I really Like My M I Crunch Box BUT.......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brewmaster, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I really like my Crunch Box but it is very NOISY! One always expects some noise when engaging a pedal but this is as noisy a pedal as I have ever owned

Anybody try to mod one to make it a little less noisy? Is it possible? If it kills the vibe of the pedal I'll deal with the noise.

Just asking.

:BEER

2. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Mine's not noisy unless I max the gain (and I think it has plenty of gain around 1-2:00, with no noise) OR if I stack it with another drive / gain pedal. What are your settings?

3. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I like the gain around 1:00 for most stuff but I jam with some folks that like to play old Sabbath and for that I turn the gain up to 3:00 or so. Mine is still pretty noisy at 12 - 1 o'clock regardless of the amp I'm using or the guitar.

4. Deaj

Deaj Member

I'd have to say that I find my CB to be pretty quiet for a distortion pedal.

Do you have any other pedals in your signal chain? If so try playing with only the CB between you guitar and amp.

Are you using battery or a power supply? If power supply is it dedicated to the CB or a common (daisy-chain) supply for multiple pedals? If your using a poer supply try a battery as a means of eliminating the PS as the source of noise.

Also worth checking the integrity of any cable(s) in-line before the CB. Distortion pedals tend to amplify and compound any source of noise (subtle noise through the CB even at moderate gain settings will likely be quite loud).

There is also the possibility that there is something wrong with the pedal.

Whatever the cause I hope you find a resolution quickly so you can dig the CB noise free. :)

5. trsU2

trsU2 Member

After reading many of these posts, I'm considering getting a Crunch Box myself...maybe until this thread! I currently have a Carl Martin Crush Zone for distortion in one of my TCE G System's loops. I bought it on a whim and it's now past the time that I can return it. I like it but I guess I'm curious to see what else is out there. It gets pretty noisy after the gain reaches about 12:00-1:00 and REALLY noisy if I kick in my Route 66 OD, which is to be expected. I guess I was under the impression the CB was better as far as tone and less noise. Any thoughts? Or has anyone had any experience with the Crush Zone?

6. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

I have a first version Crunch Box and yes, it tends to amplify any noise from your guitar a lot, especially playing through single coils. The solution for me is a noise gate. I'm contemplating getting noiseless pickups or maybe even the Suhr BPSSC someday. I think that would help quite a bit.

7. trsU2

trsU2 Member

I've been reading that the CB does exceptionally well with single coils. Good idea. I've had a lot of trouble with single coils too. Put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in my strat's bridge position...but now it doesnt really sound like a Strat! (Except in positions 1-4). I've always preferred EMGs but I'm sure there are others as good for less $

8. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I have a 1st version CB and it's not that noisy with the gain maxed. I know using a regulated power supply can really cut down noise with some pedals. I use a Pedal Power unit so maybe that's why I'm not having noise issues with my CB.

Cheers,

CJ

9. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

That could be part of the problem for me. I'm using a One Spot. Although, in my case the 60 cycle hum from the Strat is still probably the biggest culprit. Good suggestion though. A Pedal Power is also probably in my future.

10. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Yeah, changing pups would be a compromise for me because I love the EJ Strat pickups which is why i'm only contemplating it and haven't pulled the trigger yet. If I was giggin out a ton more, i'd probably be forced to do it.

11. drolling

drolling Member

Hey Brew, I think Voodoo makes a god point about the pickups. I see from your sig you're a tele/bassman fan - Me too, but one of the drawbacks w/single coils & higher gain modern amps (or pedals like the CB) is that dag-blasted 60 cycle hum comin' off the p-ups.

Honestly, for the blistering amount of gain the CrunchBox puts out, it's a pretty quiet pedal.

I just picked up a Tech21 stomper that's got a bit more distortion on tap, but it's about 5 TIMES noisier - So noisy they added a 'gate' control that clamps down on the signal between notes... which I'm not crazy about..

I've got one tele w/Kinman 'noiseless' broadcaster pickups, which I use exclusively when pouring on the distortion - but I haven't heard a hum-cancelling design yet that really captures the true single-coil sound.

Another work around the problem is swapping out one pickup for an RW/RP model - the coils are wound backwards & the magnet's polarity's reversed so you've got true single coil tone till you select the middle position for humbucking mode.

I'm sure you've also heard about playing too close to monitors, fluorescent lighting, bad wiring..blahblah.. Sometimes I just have to stand in a certain spot where the RF interference, humming, crackling, etc.. are bearable..

The things we do for tone:roll !!!

12. dave s

dave s Member

Mine is noisy even with the gain on about half. I don't like that aspect of the pedal either but thankfully, my guitar has a volume knob!

dave

13. what?

what? Member

noise- that was the reason I let go off mine. Love the sound I'm getting with my strat but the noise was just unbearable. Happy with my Tubezone now

14. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

My CB ver 2 is very quiet. Only noise it generates is what is already being generated by the single coil pickups. My Les Paul is totally quiet.

15. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

So it sounds like you found the Tube Zone to be quieter than than the CB? That's good to know as I have been on the fence between these 2 MI pedals and this helps me to go with the TZ. I love single coils and hate noise!

16. Luke V

Luke V Member

Where are you running the volume? I have the original one and I think it's quiet, but the volume is always below 9:00.

17. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I just ordered the last one tone factor had in stock. I have the Boss NS-2 running with some O.D.s now. I will report back on the noise once it arrives. I know the Boss maybe poo poo to the purists however, for this type of gain I would be inclined to think a noisegate would be appropriate. Hence, it may match well with the Ns-2 and hopefully yield a nicely hiss-free but different gain flavor. Anyone have any setting suggestions, amp favorites the CB works well please list what you like. I probably don't need this pedal based on the tone I'm getting out of the Jubilee but had to try it.

18. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Mine is very quiet,
    I use the gain at half way, level at unity and tone 3/4.
    I use single coil pickups too.
    Sure there is a little hiss when my guitars vol is down but thats it.

19. dnumde

dnumde Member

Mine is quiet too, gain usually around 1 or 2 o'clock......my concern only stems from stacking, it can only pair up with really low gain od else it's quite noisy