I really like Peter Green, but...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by The Interceptor, Aug 14, 2019 at 7:01 AM.

1. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

...I prefer the Judas Priest version of The Green Manalishi.

Any excuse to talk about Peter Green or Judas Priest. Both solid topics.

cratz2, Echoplexi, Deus56 and 9 others like this.
  2. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

The tune is an amazing composition- there weren’t really any tunes like it before- it was a benchmark. Its absolutely certain it made jimmy page take a note or two, maybe literally, but for sure inspirationally. They did enough gigs together. The black dog verses have long been acknowledged as a tribute to ‘oh well’. I’d say Achilles last stand has a bit of the green influence as well.
    Certainly The Scorpions and Michael Schenker also lifted inspiration from this tune- The Zoo, Desert Song, etc.
    The Green Manalishi is amazing and ground breaking for its heavy minor ‘vibe’ the inverted 3rd diad chord shapes, the use of scalar lines as dramatic interludes, droning Low E string, imaginative lyrics, etc. just incredible innovation in terms of pop rock guitar stylings. This is another part of the Peter Green story, and perhaps the most powerful and influential of it all. This may be the tune singularly responsible for TNWOBHM- the new wave of British heavy metal in the 80’s.

For sure, the young KK and Glenn were well aware of the history, and did a fantastic job making the tune their own. It seems they felt it a powerful tribute.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Well here is a thought. If Greennie never got mentally disabled; you would have never heard of Buckingham/Nicks.

4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Without B/N, FM would not enjoy the worldwide phenomenon status that they
    now have. :cool:

5. Val Diaz

Val Diaz Member

Agree to disagree... Weirdly I heard a live Green-era Mac rendition of this on the radio last night. Kirwan (I think) took an extended solo. Very cool.

Big +1 for what @Buzzard Luck said above - all I'll add is that, when I first heard Manalishi, it chilled me to the bone. Still does. Along with 'Gimme Shelter' & 'Ballad of a Thin Man' it's one the creepiest, most dangerous songs ever written.

slider, chumbucket and drlucky like this.
  6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Not being a Priest fan and not having heard their version of it, I can't say.
    But what I can say is that there was a strange kind of magic to early Fleetwood Mac.
    And all versions of Fleetwood Mac, which might be why they had such a huge cult following prior to Lindsey Buckingham and a huge worldwide following after.
    The band had what was at that time a very unique very simple recording style. Very clean and sparse production. Oh Well PT II is pure genius. Anyone else trying to do that song just couldn't touch it.
    When a band comes out with something so unique that it draws as much attention as they did, you can't recapture the feeling you got the first time you heard it.
    And that sticks with you for a lifetime.
    So , I guess I can understand when more modern bands do covers of rock era bands songs there being those who like that sound better.
    Because there is more to the experience of hearing a song or a band for the first time than just the songs. The social climate and time period you hear it in matters.
    Songs are an external memory enhancer.

7. WordMan

WordMan Member

If Greenie was still fully able, we’d first be thinking of Santana as one of Green’s followers.

Northerner and drlucky like this.
  8. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I dont know that I ever heard the FM version. I grew up on the JP version.

9. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Very possible.... The Buckingham/Nicks version put out some great music...and a few massively selling albums.

10. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

I did as well. Check out the FM version on YouTube. It is intense and kind of hauntingly disturbing which surely was the intent.

slider, Val Diaz and tnvol like this.
  11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The JP version was a very respectful tribute to Greeny, as was Santana's Black Magic Woman.

12. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

I too prefer the Priest version but the original is equally powerful in a different way.

13. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I disagree. I think they would have become a jam band in the Grateful Dead/Allman Brothers mold. Maybe they wouldn't have become as successful as the Buckingham-Nicks version, but they would have left their mark.

Would Lindsey and Stevie have been as successful without FM? They were pretty popular in certain regions and played a few last gigs to fulfill bookings after joining FM. Or they may have ended up on the Holiday Inn circuit.

drlucky, GulfportBound and Dr Bonkers like this.
  14. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Actually I think Santana still does.
    But here's the point. PG wrote a handful of songs and half of them are iconic. His guitar playing was a reckoning. His vocals? I don't think we saw all of those capabilities but what we did was astonishing. Like I said, Buckingham/Nicks would have been all we had and they'd break up cheating on each other. All I am saying is we just got a taste of the dude. And there was certainly more brilliance and growth that would have come from him, Fleetwood mac or some other project other than going loony tunes.

15. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

Often forgotten: Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac was a very popular live performance draw. It's not impossible that, if Green hadn't spun out, they might have struck big putting a live album out at that time. Might.

chumbucket, drlucky and tapeworm like this.
  16. WordMan

WordMan Member

Well said @teleman1. I would’ve loved to see where he would’ve been able to go.

FM’s 2.0 (Welch) and 3.0 (Buck/Nicks) wouldn’t’ve happened the same way, but. Lindsey and Stevie had a wonderfully combustible talent - who know how they could’ve busted out.

17. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Side note, GM only got considerable airplay in the Detroit area. Cause we were all real cool people having a real cool time, tonight.

chumbucket and LeftyGtrPlr like this.
  18. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

fix that now.

slider and tnvol like this.
  19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I prefer Santana's version of "Black Magic Woman"...

20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I never really thought Santana was influenced by him much. Gregg Rolies singing style and keyboard playing sure don't seem to be. Perhaps the percussion was influenced a bit by Mr Fleetwood.
    The only real connection I see is that Santana did a cover version of Black Magic Woman. But Gregg Rollies vocals and the percussion isn't all that similar. Mr Rollie seemed to have led the band in a bit of a different direction with it.