I really like the Jazz III picks but...

aT19er

... I can't get a good sounding pick slide out of them for the life of me! Dunlop and Fender thins pull off a pretty good pick slide. I tried the Dunlop Stubby picks but I didn't like them as good as the Jazz III. Does anyone make a pick like the Jazz III only with a sharper edge?

Triangle

Have you tried Ultex Jazz IIIs? I'm not sure if the edge is sharper, but the material is a bit harder which might help.

solitaire

I think I can get pretty nice pick slides using the EJ signature Jazz III. Actually the EJ seems like a better over-all Jazz III, at least for my uses.

4nd3h

I like the Ultex IIIs also, but I don't use pick slides. What makes a good pick slide? And which part of the pick do you use?

aT19er

I like the Ultex IIIs also, but I don't use pick slides. What makes a good pick slide? And which part of the pick do you use?
Listen to Hot for Teacher (Van Halen), for example. After the drum intro Eddie pick slides into the cool guitar part. It's kind of a guitae cliche, but I like to do it.

To do it all you gotta do is: 1) hold pick perpendicular to the low E string. 2) Slide! It can take a few tries to get it down, but it sounds pretty dang cool once you get it.

Gonna order some of the EJ and Ultex Jazz III's later this week if I get the chance. The Jazz III's I have now are the XL sized ones; are the EJ and Ultex ones the same size as the XL or more along the lines of the Jazz II's?

4nd3h

EJ and Ultex are the regular non-XL size.

I know what a pick slide is, I meant specifically what do you like in a pick slide and which side of the pick do you use? I use the back of the pick personally.

cugel

i just got some dunlop stubbies. same tip profile as a jazz iii but a bigger "handle". i like them so far.

aT19er

EJ and Ultex are the regular non-XL size.

I know what a pick slide is, I meant specifically what do you like in a pick slide and which side of the pick do you use? I use the back of the pick personally.
Oh ok! I misunderstood... I like a pick slide that is crisp, whooshing, thick sounding pick slide. The Jazz picks just don't have that sharp edge thins do making them glide versus slide. I use the long edges for slides.

And are the v-pick prices on their site per pick?

softclipper

IMO, in a good pick slide there's two kind of sounds at the same time: the first coming of the edge pick touching the grooves of the wound strings and the other is the pick itself vibrating along the travelling. Heavy picks that are beveled can sound good but the picks will not resonate as a thin pick does. The best to me is a thin pick that is beveled, for example the Herco 50. The problem is that nylon is very resistant to normal playing wear but not so good in pick slides.

Trending Topics