I REALLY Like the Kendrick 2410 - but not the price

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MotorHeadKiller, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:52 PM.

1. MotorHeadKiller

MotorHeadKiller Member

Hello Everyone

For the third time, I was in a store that has a 1992 Kendrick 2410 and for the third time I played it.
    (I went in tonight to play a Victory which was right next to it and I couldn't resist).
    I like it more each time I play it.
    The problem for me is the $1579 price tag..
    For a while, I liked the current Fender version - the '59 Bassman LTD.
    Keyword: Liked.
    As in past tense as the Kendrick killed it.
    So that's out.
    Are there any amps that come close without the big price tag?
    It can be less powerful and doesn't have to be 4x10.
    Though, obviously, those contribute to the tone and that would be acceptable.
    Only other need is for it to sound good at low volume as I play strictly at home and can't crank it up.
    (Btw, the 2410 was stellar at low volume).
    What do you suggest?

Thanks

2. Guavadude

Guavadude Member

I suggest you buy it. Let's say the difference is $600 for a cheaper amp, and you use the Kendrick for ten years, that's $60 a year for an amp you've obviously bonded with. Take it home, fire it up!

H. Mac, rhinocaster and screamtone like this.
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

The Kendrick is completely hand wired.... good price for that great amp... I used to own one and was a dealer for them.. they did have wicked mojo, (more so than Victoria or the Fender version) and I loved their speakers

GrungeMan, mrwhipple and rhinocaster like this.
  4. woof*

woof* Member

Killer amp!
    I’ve owned several of Gerald’s amps.
    Buy it.

5. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Plenty of people here don't dig Kendrick both for personal reasons and sonic reasons....I've owned a number of them and think that Gerald has built some killer amps that don't just do the typical tweed thing. This can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for.

Valvetrain may be the only company that's done a 4x10 combo that can hang with Kendrick but at a lower price but it may not hit you the way the Kendrick does.

That price isn't bad at all if you love it....though I'll suggest that the price could easily come down if you make an offer as most Kendricks just sit and sit at the shops.

6. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

I have a HW tweed Bassman clone from Marsh. Since owning it I've sold off a Boogie Mark IIB, Marshall HW 1973x, and a few others.

Yes, the 4x10 configuration sounds nice and full at lower volume.

I agree that would be a good acquisition and a keeper.

7. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

8. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

Get a USA Peavey Classic 410, same thing.;)

9. Guavadude

Guavadude Member

I tried a Kendrick at a recent Gtr show and it sounded terrible, it had to have been sick or something.

I once tried the Victoria Bandmaster 3x10”, I think it’s the 3510 and that amp sounded amazing. That could be an option since it’s a little easier to crank and has a nice tweed vibe.
    I should have bought it but I was on the hunt for a Super Reverb and found a killer ‘68 with Alnicos that is still the best amp I’ve heard. I listened to a lot of dogged out SRs looking for that one.

My point being that you really have to judge tube amps on individual merit and also know that a good servicing can make a huge difference.

When I’m trying a piece of gear out...amp, pedal, guitar...the one that inspires me and makes me play a little better than I am is the one I buy. Life is short, buy the good sh!t

10. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

The Bassman LTD is $1450 new. Yeah, you could buy them for a grand used. Unless that Kendrick is beat, the condition may be similar and the sonics are very much better.

$130 difference? Or even $580 difference? Will you care at all 5 years from now when you're still digging it?

I just got a great vintage amp that required me to sell 3 other great vintage amps to cover the cost. I haven't thought about any of those 3 amps until just now. Don't miss them in the slightest, and won't miss them 5 years from now when I'm still digging this amp.

11. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I would get it. I wanted one really bad back in the 90s but I was young and broke. Now I'm old and broke. It doesn't hurt to make an offer.

Back in the 90s I bought his book A Desktop Reference for Tube amps mostly for the Fender schematics and I called Gerald when I was trying to diagnose a problem I was having with my Blackface AB 165 Bassman head. Thinking he'd want me to send it in. He asked a few questions about what it was doing and steered me in the right direction to fix it myself and I did. I was always grateful for his help.

12. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I actually don't dislike the price on the Kendrick 2410. Offer lower and see what happens. I agree with @davidespinosa. Offer $1,200 cash and see what they say.

The Peavey, while a decent amp, is not even close in many respects. I apologize for any offense caused by my opinion.

13. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

I'm well aware the Peavey is not in the same league. Hence the winky face.

Laurence likes this.