I really liked the Suhr Shiba, but AB'd against a BMOD...

55hz

Not so much...

For sale anyone? Shiba is a great pedal, but the toggle is microscopically subtle (at least on mine), and the BMOD just plain wins.

Ideas/opinions from anyone on these two?

guitarpkr67

Silver Supporting Member
Black Market Overdrive. It's a Clay Jones Overdrive clone. I had one when they first came out. It was a great pedal.

peaky

I've never heard, seen or played through the BMOD but I can say the Shiba is the one of the highest quality pedals I have ever owned. The finish on the enclosure is brilliant, the pots and switches have a very positive feel to them and the pedal IMO sounds absolutely amazing. Best dynamic response I have personally experienced in a pedal. I agree the toggle is subtle but does change the response from being slightly more aggressive to being more laid back - i.e smooth.

55hz

Black Market Overdrive. It's a Clay Jones Overdrive clone. I had one when they first came out. It was a great pedal.
This.

You'll go with the Suhr even though you've never heard of the other pedal? That doesn't make sense.

JCM 800

I said I would default to the Suhr only because John is known for putting out very high quality products that are built well and sound great. I would have confidence in a Suhr product sight unseen. Not so much for some clone of a clone pedal from an unknown maker.

GuitarBrent

One more thing, not all things are everything to all folks. You'll have just as many guys, if not more chiming in about how great the Suhr Shiba is, and for good reason; it works for their style and within their rigs. I certainly hope you tried the Shiba at 18 volts, because it's noticeably bigger, fatter, louder, and more dynamically responsive at 18 volts. Like going from a 50 to a 100 watt amp.

guitarpkr67

Silver Supporting Member
The Shiba is outstanding, but where do you get a Black market Overdrive?
When I got mine, I ordered straight from the maker. I can't remember his name though. Not sure if he still makes them. Any CJOD clone should get you close.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
They're not. Well, the BMOD is the same as the CJOD. They are all based around the same pedal, but with changes to the circuit. Not many changes though. And they do all sound different. Except for the BMOD and CJOD.

C'mon, All the CJODs didnt even sound the same. :p

guitarpkr67

Silver Supporting Member
C'mon, All the CJODs didnt even sound the same. :p
Well, there you have it (If I remember correctly, you have a CJOD?). The CJOD is the only pedal out of those I haven't tried. But when the BMOD came out there were a few CJOD owners that said they sounded identical. I loved my BMOD. Always wanted to try a CJOD.

Trending Topics