1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I really need a attenuator. What's good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IPlayHamers, Jan 22, 2008.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

My Bad Cat Tone Cat is super loud, so I'm looking into attenuators to use in the studio and smaller club dates. I'm looking at the Leash, but would like to know what some of you are using and with what degree of success.

Thanks,

Jamal

2. Laird_Williams

Laird_Williams Member

I use the THD unit and like it pretty well down to about -8dB with my "normal" cabinet. I have a "low power" cab that sounds pretty good even at more attenuation.

The key with all these things is to use a different cab with the attenuator for lower power levels. Your cab spec'd for use with a 120W amp will not sound great when being fed 15W. Use your amp and attenuator with a cab that is a good match for your target output power level and you will be MUCH happier.

3. Yek

Yek Member

I like the Dr Z Air Brake. Not very much attenuation (apart from 'bedroom level') but no impact on the tone.

4. planetal

planetal Member

I've used the leash, the weber mass and a thd.. I prefer the leash to all of them, simply as it is a bit more transparent than the weber and isn't limited to a fixed number of attenuated steps (like the thd). The leash is just one big knob, which works well for me (as I like big knobs?).. You'll still need to get the speakers moving a bit of air to get a good sound, too much attenuation and it will sound and feel wrong.

5. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

+1 for the Air Brake.

6. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've had a good results with the THD Hot Plate and currently use the DrZ Air Brake...

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I like both the Dr. Z (up to 50w) and THD (up to 100w, maybe more?)...the THD might be safer as they are impedance-specific.

I've had a few Webers, but did not care for them as much as those above.

Greg

8. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

The Leash got a good review in Guitar Player, even got a Editor's Pick Award.

9. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

+1. I bought a THD Hotplate a while back which was OK. Then bought a Z Airbrake. Had to sell and just re-bought one about 6 months ago. LOVE IT!

10. Thor

Thor Member

Happy Airbrake user here.

Still currious to try the Ultimate Atenuator, but it's rather stiff price tag keeps me more than happy with what I got.

Cheers,

Edward

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

I've always been curious which would work better for my setup as well. I have a Rivera Knucklehead 100W Reverb (although they can bench upto 118W according to Rivera) and these heads are beyond loud! I've always heard good about the THD, but curious about the Dr.Z.

12. greatbigz

greatbigz Member

I have always been curious about attenuators. I have a '65 Reissue Twin Reverb and it's a LOUD amp. I can't usually play around with it in my house because of that. I have to have the volume set at about 1 (or less but sometimes the volume doesn't kick in until 1).

Would an attenuator help me control the volume better?

13. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I'm currently using the Leash and love it. I had the Airbrake and thought it was pretty good, but honestly like the Leash much more.

14. justonwo

justonwo Member

All the attenuators I've tried have worked well. Yeah an attenuator will help with your problem at home, but don't expect great tone if you attenuate a ton. Usually, in my experience, they are good for taking you from stadium volume to rehearsal volume, but rehearsal volume to bedroom volume not so good.

I wouldn't recommend the Weber Mass because of the low quality rheostats Ted uses.

15. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Weber Mini-Mass has been good to me, but does cut a tad bit of highs. They come with treble compensation switches for this reason. I just got an Airbrake, and it's more transparent, almost totally transparent down to the "bedroom" setting. On the bedroom setting it really squashes the sound... however, it's still better than the Weber at very low levels.

For the price, the Webers can't be beat. For more $$$, they can.

16. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I've heard that the Richter is the very best. It's the one I plan to buy. Max ouput is 50%.

17. silverface

silverface Member

+1 for the Airbrake. As far as I know, it also handles Amps up to 100 Watts.

http://www.drzamps.com/airbrake.pdf

Best wishes,

silverface.

18. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The Leash is fantastic!

19. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Had a Leash and about 5 others and none hold candle to a Richter from Motherload. Unfortunately the old model ended production a year ago and the new isn't available yet. By far the best sound at the lowest volume and that's what matters to me.

20. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

You could spend a lot for an attenuator.

I found the Hotplates to work fine.
    But,
    I still think amps sound best without them.
    Thank God for low-wattage amps!