I really, really like my amp. Do you really like yours?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Feb 17, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Background: I'm 50, play mostly in my basement. Played a lot in my teens into early 20's and then stopped for twenty years. Plays blues, classic rock etc. Use a PRS singlecut and G&L tele or strat copy.

Three weeks ago I bought a Mesa Lone Star Special 112. Had a BP30 before it and a Rivera Chubster 40 before that. Couldn't get the range of sounds I wanted out of the BP and the Rivera didn't sound great at basement volumes. The LSS provides much more range of sounds and any volume level (but I haven't taken it to gig at this point). Clean, dirty, 30 watts, 15 watts, 5 watts. Different sounds at all settings. Very good reverb (with two settings). Very funcional channel switching and distinct channel personalities. Looks good. Handles pedals well. Came w/ wheels and a cover. I really don't know if there's an amp out there than can provide all of this in one 112 box. At least not one for this money. In short, this is a great do it all amp for someone like me. Now if I could only find this level of performance and diversity of sounds for $800 or less I'd be platinum instead of golden.

Does your amp "do it all" for you?

2. ogredog

ogredog Member

i was wondering how the LS special sounded...

i have a lonestar 1x12 and have been thinking of changing to el34's to see how it responds...

it's a great amp...fantastic clean tone...and good overdrive tones, although it's not a high gain monster..

i changed my old 2 channel dual rec. over from 6L6 to el34's several yrs ago and liked it much better...

that being said...
    i also have a marshall 100wt. 4 input with MM output tranny and voodoo master volume...

and a vox ac15 combo...

i don't really need them all...since i don't have the time to gig much any more...but i love them all...

3. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

Yes, but it was a journey getting there. And I sometimes wonder if what really changed, besides the gear, was me. I discovered the value of serious personal practice along the way. And I think that some of the gear that didn't work then might work now. But my rig has been unchanged for the last 5 years and does everything I need or want, so I'm good.

4. photios

photios Member

Hell YES!!! I LOVE my amps...I have 2 rigs: one rack rig and one head rig. It was long, frustrating, expensive, but fun journey to find the right gear for me, but a journey that was well worth it.

My rack rig is a Soldano X99 with an ENGL 850/100 power amp...the setup just RIPS. It's like having a 128 channel SLO...I got killer plexi-ish cleans, the best crunch in the world and everybody knows how legendary the Soldano overdrive channel is. This rig has been my fav now for the past 6 months...I never thought I'd be a rack player again, but I really do prefer the tones and flexiblity of my head rig....it just blazes.

My head rig is a Wizard Vintage Classic. Man, it has some kick @ss, cool, clean head room, super thick EQ, cuts like a knife in a band setting and the harmonic content reminds me a trainwreck. Its a sick amp for sure. I use a Lehle D.Loop to get 3 voices from it for live play...not as versatile as my rack rig, but versatile enough and I love it looks sitting on top of my Wizard 4x12 cab...classic beauty.

Happiness is finding "your" amp. To those who are still looking, keep on keeping on...the prize at the end is woth all the pains you encounter during your journey.

5. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

I've owned the LSS a couple times and it is indeed a very special amplifier....loved the 5 watt single ended setting the best. My current amp does indeed do it all for me..........a '57 Tweed Twin.
    Enjoy the LSS:BEER

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I have a Chubster too. Never play it. Just sounds small and boxy at loser volumes even with its deeper cab. Only time the amp sounds good is at LOUD volumes.

At the moment I have two amps I love. My Palomino V32 and my Fender Supersonic. Both sound good at low volumes and even better louder.They both do what I need/like and Im not left looking for more out of them(though I do like to tinker)The Palomino is definately the most amp Ive even bought for the money! -399$ NIB. Great clean and versatile OD.
    The Supersonic is another I picked up at an amazing value price-599$ for the floor model. A fire breather as far as Fenders go.

Glad your digging your LSS!
    :BEERBob

7. thesooze

thesooze Supporting Member

Man, I had nothing but problems from my LSS-- others here on the Forum would tell you the same thing-- I'm glad you like yours, though. If it wasn't for the issues, I would have held onto the Lonestar. I since have moved on to a Heritage and from there to a Z Maz Sr head.

For what I do, I'm liking the head/cab thing vs. the combo thing.

8. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I'm pretty satisfied at this point. I have the following: 1995 Rivera Hundred Duo 12, 2005 Mesa Rectoverb head w/VHT 4x12, 2006 Alpha and Omega David (my favorite!), 2007 Savage Macht 12x, and a '73 Fender Bronco w/tremelo. I can cover any style and power requirement and they're all really good at certain things. I won't be in the market for an amp for a very long time. That's a good feeling!

9. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Over 50 amps later I am finally happy with the two I have, and can't "justify" owning anymore. I finally found that a Budda SD18 1x12, and my my Bad Cat Panther head and cab do basically everything I want, and pedals will get me most everywhere in between. It is good to be happy with the gear you've got. I had a LSS along the way, and I agree that it was probably in my top 5 favorite amps for my particualr application.
    Enjoy the LSS, my opinion is that it is very versatile, and sounds great.
    Good luck!

10. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

My amp journey has been long and expensive too..After everything from cheap to expensive, racks to pre-amp pedals, Bogners to Boogies ...whew. I can honestly say I have an amp I plug into and still after months of owning, am blown away. It's a Budda SD45 head. The versatility of this amp is mind boggling for such a simple control panel.. there is a thing or two I would change but knowing my myself, I was beginning to wonder if such an amp existed.

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Love my Roccaforte Rockie. And one day I'll add another TR to my setup, too!

12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I'm about to turn 61 and had many, many, many amps over the years. Aside from the old Ampeg B-15N I used to play bass though, the only other amp I LOVE is my current one, a Victoria Regal II.

13. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Congrats on the LSS, it's a great amp.

I am REALLY loving my two amps right now. My Sewell Texaverb gives me every Fender sound I ever wanted and is an amazing platform for pedals. And my Fargen Mini Plex Mk2 gives me every Marshall sound I ever wanted.

I'm totally satisfied with my amps. Period. Done.

14. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I love my homebuilt Hiwatt clone..... even better than my real Hiwatt!

15. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I love mine till I find something I love more.

But I REALLY REALLY love mine.

16. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Currently and blissfully head over heels in beyond love with my Elmwoods. Everything I need and then some....:dude

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I am quite impressed gig by gig with my main amp, a Sewell Wampus Cat. It has such a fine sound ... more importantly, that sound coincides perfectly with how I play and hear things. So we get along very well. My backups aren't too shabby either:

Clark Tyger
    Twilighter 260
    Ampeg Gemini II
    Gibson GA40

The Sewell seems to be a larger, more refined version of the GA40. That is high praise indeed.

18. scottro123

scottro123 Member

Then you shouldn't hang out here. Seriously, here are like a thousand new posts a day--each one a new reason why something else is better than what you have. It'll make you want to buy and sell, buy and sell for no good reason. Trust me, you'll be happier.

I only wish I would take my own advice!

Cheers,
    Scottro

19. jbert58

jbert58 Silver Supporting Member

My #1 is my new Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 1X12 combo - love those tweakable EL84 tones.

I also have a Reverend Kingsnake for 6L6 flavours.

Neither very expensive but deliver great tones for basement rocking.

JBert