I really, really, really want to hear this thing: Real Leslie Speaker for guitar

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Trebor Renkluaf, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

2. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Our organist is looking for a small Leslie, so I keep eyes open. Heard this was coming from the Hammond rep, read the specs and decided as cool as this would be for guitar, just not practical for me and bus or small car.

The G-37 weighs in at 85 pounds, and is comparable in size to a bass combo amp. It’s easy to lift, with the provided handles, and will fit into any car. The $1095 suggested retail price is easy to handle as well.

If you try it, please let us know haow goes!

DS

3. dB

dB Member

I'm curious as well. I'd like to know if the cleans can be Twin-like with all those watts and the solid state power amp.

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

The G37 has a built in amp, the G27 lets you use your own amp - I'd probably be more interested in that. I like the fact that when you stop this one is designed so that the speakers are facing foward and not just where ever they happened to stop. Ggggggaaaassss!

5. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I heard it. It did not sound that great.
    I had suggested to them 2 years ago that they do a guitar leslie with a D13 all tube amp built in..
    Well they liked the idea, ran with it, but did this solid state power amp, tube pre thing.. without my input or Fred's.
    It sounds like a solid state power amp with a tube pre designed by keyboard players.
    Too bad really..

6. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    Jeff at Latch Lake was working on a Leslie speaker/amp thingie, not sure how far he got with it...

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

9. DC1

DC1 Member

I've got one. A 1952 blonde one. 2-speed motors, and it has a Renkus Heinz driver on the top, an EV 15 on the bottom, tube bi-amped with DSP processing. Kills for guitar, but I have to say the better pedals are about as good IMO.

I am a couple hours away. PM me if you ever want to hear it.

DC

10. DC1

DC1 Member

11. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I wish! Pretty sure that was a commission job for Andrew, as the dual horn isn't listed in their pricing guide. I'd be scared to know how much he paid for it.

But if I was really serious about getting a cool leslie-type unit and $$ wasn't an issue i'd get them to build me one in a heartbeat :bow

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a little off-topic, but holy cow, i had no idea leslie was still making tube amp-powered cabinets! has anyone ever made or converted that 40-watt 6550 amp into a regular guitar amp?

13. pitner

pitner Member

I have a real Leslie with a single 12 inch gold Jenson speaker and a foam baffle no horn. Its real small and I can pick it up by myself and put it in a car for a gig. I am not using it currently but using a Mojo Vibe which really does the job without the weight and cabinet issues.

14. beatlebob

beatlebob Active Member

just find an old fender vibratone. smaller, lighter, collectable, more mojo factor, and sounds killer. drive with any head of your choice. i have a late 60's model, even had a flight case built for it. have taken it on the road before with no problems. used a blackface bassman head to drive it. lots of fun. total abbey road.

15. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

As Trevor said, they are making one with no amp in it so you can use your own amp. I have three of these on order, and one is for me :)

16. Trebor Renkluaf

You can get the G27 model sans amp and power it with your own amp. I definitely think that would be the way I'd go.

17. Trebor Renkluaf

They are really not the same beast at all. You miss all the cool phase interactions between the horn and rotor with the Leslie 16/Vibratone. They just don't sound the same. Compare Cream's "Badge" or "Ringo's "It don't come easy" or Badfingers "No Matter What" or The Beatles "Something" (all Leslie) to "Cold Shot" (vibratone) - they are a different sound.

18. Trebor Renkluaf

Sorry, but they just don't sound the same at all. The Vibratone only has the rotating baffle, this new Leslie (and the ones the Brits used) have the rotating horn and the low frequency rotor - this just sounds so much better to my ears. I kick myself daily for not picking up a Leslie model 122 that had been modified for guitar that sold locally a few years back - that thing just sounded so killer and not like a Leslie 16/Vibratone. You could get all those cool phase interactions between the horn/rotor that are missing on the Viabratone. The slow sound was the deepest, lushest chorus you ever heard - no pedal I've tried has matched it.

19. Trebor Renkluaf

That's "Trebor" as in "Robert" spelled backwards. ;)
    Let me know when you get those puppies! Any idea when they will be shipping?