I really want to get an Amplifire, but...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Joe_Guitar, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Joe_Guitar

Joe_Guitar Member

I'm not sure I should just get an Axe fx?

Listened to a lot of demos of both on YouTube, they all sound great.

Looks like the Amplifire is easier to get great sounds out of easily... While the Axe will do anything if you're willing to dig into it, not to mention the better effects.

What do you guys that have both think?

I'm just a home recording dude. Got a ton of amps and effects, but am looking at these units for low volume high quality sound.

2. facefirst

facefirst Member

Had both. Still have the AmpliFIRE. Best sounding modeler to my ears.

iam_krash and paulfrench like this.
  3. mac jones

mac jones Member

One is not better than the other. Price difference is substantial.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  4. scook

scook Member

Haven't touched my AmpliFIRE since I got my Axe-FX.

Neither are hard to dial in.

Both sound great.

MetalGuitard likes this.
  5. jageya

jageya Member

$600 vs $2500? hm.......thats quite a jump

MetalGuitard and patriot7 like this.
  6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I preferred the Axe FX. And I should hope I would since I paid about $2100 more for the setup! IMO the Axe FX sounds better and it can obviously do alot more. It's nice to have one unit (well, 2 counting the MFC101) that can do it all. To someone new to both, I imagine the Amplifire would be easier to dial in.

But really, if you're choosing between the Amplifire and the Axe FX, you might as well consider the Helix, AX8 and Kemper since it sounds like price is no object.
    -
    Austin

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    MetalGuitard and JiveTurkey like this.
  7. timowens316

timowens316 Member

If you have a ton of amps you might look at the Kemper because you could simply profile your amps and be done with it.

Falconbill likes this.
  8. Falconbill

Falconbill Member

I don't see how the OP could go wrong with either modeler. It's really just a matter of cost and footprint. To get the most out of the modelers, you should run them through an FRFR cab.

9. shane159

shane159 Member

I haven't touched my Axe Ultra, and returned a Helix since buying the Amplifire. They are all great, and I don't think any of them are better than the other, it's just a matter of works best for your needs. The amp modeling on all three were all fantastic, the Amplifire was the one that sounded the best running into a tube power amp and cab for live gigging. For me ,that is where the Amplifire excelled over the others.

Greatdane, iam_krash and JiveTurkey like this.
  10. jeahsj

jeahsj Member

Had the Axe FX II. It is a great effects unit. Amp modeling is good too. However, I decided to sell it since it is overkill for me. I am currently using S-Gear at home and am completely happy with the sound I get. I am seriously considering the Amplifire. I thought about the AX8, but the reality is I am likely to exploit only about 30% of any devices capabilities. It is unlikely I will play songs that will each require a completely different amp or effect. With that said, for only $599, you get a very capable great sounding system in the Amplifire.

11. jageya

jageya Member

This is where i am at too....Tried the helix...was going to get ax8....but i realized its overkill as well for me....45 amps? 200+ a,mps? I get the variety but for me i just need things simple with 3-6 great basic tones..and good basic effects.The amplifire would be my choice for sure over the others 2-4x more cost.

12. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Got both... An affiliated with both companies... Got my first AxeFx 9 years ago...
    The Axe used to be my go to travel rig... First the Ultra then the II. I can dial it so it does anything if ever need. Up until recently it was rather cumbersome to make it cranky enough. It was too smooth for my taste. Then has been addressed.
    The AmplifiRE feels awesome, as all products from Atomic I Have used over the years, the Reactor cabs and wedges, power amps even the baby Marshall that was never released.
    It now is my travel rig, it fits I the gig bag...total no brainer.
    And I still use amps too...now if I had to pick one....tough one...
    The answer would change daily. But I do not compare by $ figure. If it works I use it. And if it costs less and I dig as much, even better.

BTW currently the piece if gear I use most is my Calor 5 watt 1x10 combo that's like $350