I really wanted to hate the BJF Little Green Wonder.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by skiraly017, Jul 12, 2005.

1. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

I have an issue paying over $150 for an OD pedal, but I've run out of pedals in that price range to try. I grabbed a used LGW and was ready to sell it again as soon as it arrived. I may have to keep it for awhile. I was pretty impressed with the sound and the fact that it didn't totally destroy my tone. Of course I could hate it a week from now, but in the mean time it rocks.

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I would never have thought I'd like a pedal that tonaly sits in the Tube Screamer catagory. The claim is that this is the Tube Screamer designed for players that hate Tube Screamers. I find that absolutely true! I too was prepared to put it on ebay if the anticipated let-down took place. But I absolutely was shocked at how much I like this pedal. It doesn't even use the sacred TS chip. A friend of mine who has lots of high end pedals, says nothing is better than his original TS808, that nothing has bested it. When he played my LGW, A-B listening back and forth between his TS808 and my LGW, the look on his face was priceless when he said he liked the LGW better and that he was going to get one.

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

.... whats even more impressive is the way the LGW blends with other pedals and improves the sound of distortions and fuzzes in a way that tube screamers cant.... try putting your favortie fuzz in front of it....

It stays tight and bold without being overbearing and brash....

4. rubberbelly

rubberbelly Member

I agree. I held out a long time from getting the LGW. When I finally got one, I was impressed. I'm putting a Dual Drive in front of it. The two play very well together (and separately).

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

In my experience it's a really nice sounding pedal by itself but was a little too dark sounding for my setup...

I think it really shines and comes into its own when it is being driven by BJF Pale Green Compressor in front of it...

That "IMO" takes the LGW to a whole nother level...YMMV!

Chow,
    Seegs

6. stekks

stekks Member

Some days I like the LGW better then other days, some days I just hate it. It seems it could use some compression in front of it, but to buy a $300 compressor to pair with a $300 OD to essentially make a $600 OD is a bit steep...

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Yeah its strength can be it weakness too.....
    If you want compression it has to come from somewhere else...

It works the same with other compressors too - its just that the Pale Green is a very low distortion comp - and gives you some exacting control by isolating the distortion and compression in different pedals........I like to run the LGW into the McSqueeze too as its more of a limiter and gets a really natural response overall.....

But thats also why the LGW is such a good stacker - its wonderful in a two distortion pedal stack too....
    Like guys that use two tube screamers ~~ using t he LGW as one still gives you some compression in the other TS but the whole thing stays more dynamic and controllable....
    and the LGW has EQ control that compliments a regular TS.....

anyway its a great tool if you need more control of your dynamics.....:cool:

8. solo-act

solo-act Member

You know, I have to agree. I bought 4 bjf pedals and this one just sounds to middy and too muddy. I'm a TS idiot though, but I've read that they're supposed to roll off the highs in order to emphasize the mids. But why not just boosts the mids instead and be able to enjoy the highs too.

Anway, I'll work with it some more, but so far haven't found a setting where I can have the tubey sound without the highs going muddy on me.

--E

9. drolling

drolling Member

I am so impressed w/my SBEQ and HoneyBee that any mention of BJF just gets me salivating every time - even critical threads like this one pique my curiosity. I have this pastel-coloured fantasy of a board entirely comprised of BJFEs..

Some pedals really grab me right away and I end up OD'ing on them and retiring them to the closet after a month or so, but Bjorn's pedals just grow & grow on me as I work w/them. Always a refreshing sound. Don't know how he does it...

10. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

AGREED!!! :drool