1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I really wish i could like fuzz pedals, just printed the return label, again.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by underdog726, Jan 11, 2018.

1. underdog726

underdog726 Member

I am a big srv/hendrix fanboy, and feel like a fuzz pedal should be in my arsenal , i try and i try. I listen to videos and like how others make them sound, but always sounds like total flub to me when i try to use one. I just got a fulltone 69 today played with it for about 10 minutes and boxed it back up. I have 4 strats and a DR Z Z-Lux and i cant make it come close to working for me, like i would almost be embarrassed to try it live tomorrow at the gig, when i had such high hopes. I dont know what my problem is?

2. Cliffhydro

Cliffhydro Supporting Member

IMO, ten minutes is not enough time to bond with any pedal. Especially a fuzz. Unbox it. Give it another shot.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

4. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

With high output pickups ( or any pickups really) they can get a little splatty. It's part of the charm. If you \want a tight rock tone you might have to roll back the guitar volume a bit or adjust the trimmer the 69 probably has under the hood. You might find you like the Si ones better.

5. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Me too. Like the idea. Have yet to hear one that does much for me.

drri, Blingdogg, indeedido and 2 others like this.
  6. underdog726

underdog726 Member

YA, i always heard one of the great features of the 69 was the clean up when you roll back the guitar volume, and i tried that and it does clean up well, sounds like a overdrive, just not as good as the drive pedals i use, so i thought whats the point?

indeedido, Gilwater and Holzar88 like this.
  7. cosmogs

cosmogs Supporting Member

They are not ment to sound beautiful, they are just cool. :cool:

Steven, nkt275, Maggot and 2 others like this.
  8. Green_is_God

Green_is_God Member

The point is you have to know that Fuzzes DO NOT EVER GO after any buffered (low impedance) device, whether that be a Tuner, a Boss, Ibanez, etc etc etc pedal, nor a buffered loop of any type.
    Only then you will hear a fuzz for what it can do.

9. underdog726

underdog726 Member

I wouldnt disagree with you, because others make it sound awesome, for some reason i cant.

10. Wagster

Wagster Member

With fuzzes bright caps are not.your friend.

Echomachine, Shiny_Beast and Bryan T like this.
  11. underdog726

underdog726 Member

Hmm, i had it right after the korg pitchblack tuner on my little board, wonder if it has a buffer or not?

chrismellotron likes this.
  12. underdog726

underdog726 Member

To audition it i just threw it on my small board and it goes tuner>69>lovepedal super six>dsl rotospin> hermidia eph-3 delay. The only pedal that i had on was the 69 tho, didnt wanna complicate matters.

13. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Fuzz should go first to clean up with your guitar volume control.

-bEn r.

gigsup, danieloux, Fat tone79 and 5 others like this.
  14. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

I believe KORG pitch black is true bypass but the thing is... fuzz pedals definitely like to see your pickups directly.
    for me fuzz roll back isnt about the OD you get from taming the fuzz tone, it's about how it can actually get cleaner and more sparkly than your actual clean tone, with slight compression and frequency push so it should actually be a little easier to play. either way it's not the "same" type of OD your gonna get from your drive pedals, it's gonna be more musical and responsive and interactive. people like fuzzes because you almost have to play the fuzz, you have to play a certain way to coaks out a bit of greatness (per se).

I do agree some of it is user error but you may just not like them.
    you may be a more of a Si instead of Ge guy.

either way, try it into a dirtier amp (im guessing your doing into a cleaner amp), if you need to play clean try it before a very light OD. pull back a little of volume and play some Hendrix inspired riffs. they also don't like bright caps as mentioned so pull back a bit of treble (if needed). also once you enjoy this part of the fuzz you will start to enjoy the other side which is the full volume/gain blowing up amp side.

brain21, Ferret, Flatscan and 4 others like this.
  15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Fuzzes are picky about lots of things. If you’re running into a bright, clean amp, try running it into another pedal (od, for example, set clean) to filter out the fizz.

16. PRSAtomic

PRSAtomic Member

Acid fuzz. He know fuzz.

17. underdog726

underdog726 Member

Your causing me to unbox it, i did just come home from work excited to check it out and probably didnt give it a fair shake, thanks for the insight and tips!

hippieboy, Flatscan, dshobe and 3 others like this.
  18. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Supporting Member

I’ve had some amazing fuzz pedals and loved them. But they either had to be used ALONE and often on battery power only, or maybe coupled with one other pedal.

There were always deal breaker incompatibility issues that would make me sell them.

I recently got a Sola Jumbo Clone off of eBay. It’s more of a big muff op amp design than a ToneBender (apparently).

It isn’t finicky at all. Sounds much more like a vintage weird fuzz than a Big Muff. And it plays JUST FINE on my giant pedal board.

I’m keeping it

Katzenkönig, GaryMcT and Cliffhydro like this.
  19. lavinci

lavinci Member

Fuzz Face (Fulltone '69) is one of the most picky circuits... it doesn't always play nice. Wants to be first in the signal Chain... picky about who comes after.... on and on...
    but once it finds the right neighbors.... well words can not describe...

Perhaps try a big muff or a super fuzz...
    don't give up....

GE transistors can be temperature sensitive.... with the cold they can sound different from when they are in a warmer environment....

maybe try silicon trannies...