1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I received a Seagull S6 from Guitar Center for Christmas...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by weakfingertips, Dec 30, 2017.

Keep or return

1. Keep it

22 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Return it

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. weakfingertips

weakfingertips Member

Hi all, new to the board and looking forward to becoming a part of this great community. I want to start off my membership here with a little story as well as request advice and insight from the members here.

Last Christmas I gifted my father a Seagull S6 - his first guitar. Since then he has dived head first into learning but has also noticed I pick it up and strum on it anytime I'm in town. Furthermore, I've always had an interest in learning, just never had the time - or a guitar.

This year my parents surprised my with my own Seagull S6 and I'm thrilled.

However, upon inspecting it, I noticed some very slight blemishes in the body. Me, being relatively picky/OCD started asking questions regarding where it was purchased. Turns out they bought it at Guitar Center. it was a "floor model", as they didn't have any extra stock in the back and they paid full price ($399) for it. This kind of bothered me - not as much the nick but that my unsuspecting parents had purchased a guitar that was handled who knows how many times at full price. Pictures below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went back to Guitar Center and was presented three options:

1. Return guitar for a full refund
    2. They would order me a brand new one and I would wait
    3. They could give me 10% off

Very reasonable - I took the 10% off. However, the more I think about it, the more I want to be the one adding "character" to my guitar. The little gash bothers me a bit more than it should. Would it be completely out of line to return the guitar and reorder from Sweetwater or similar online retailer?

Curious as to the opinions here - knowing full well I am overanalyzing the issue a bit.

Thanks!

IGuitUpIGuitDown and Outlaw like this.
  2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

S6 has a cedar top, which is pretty soft. Your dings will soon enough eclipse whatever is on there although I’m not crazy about that one on the upper bout.

If it plays well and sounds good I’d keep it. If it’s just ‘pretty good ‘ I’d consider rolling the dice on a newer one, and it’s not a problem to me if you go through another retailer.

3. weakfingertips

weakfingertips Member

thanks for the insight. me, being such a noob to guitar, can't really tell if it's a "good" one or not. tbh it sounds identical to my dad's from last year. which, interestingly enough, has completely different hardware than mine.

4. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

Congrats on a great guitar. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy it.

5. weakfingertips

weakfingertips Member

thank you kindly. i have already locked down the D, A, E chords :)

fretless, IGuitUpIGuitDown and Outlaw like this.
  6. mannish

mannish Member

you gonna play it or look at it ???

el capitan and fretless like this.
  7. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I tend to keep gifts even with flaws since they were specifically chosen for me.
    As posted above, cedar tops are soft and ding easily. I've always felt that they will ding if you look at them wrong...
    Congrats! I know those are very popular guitars.

jens5, weakfingertips and Tommy Biggs like this.
  8. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Keep it! It'll get dinged up soon enough.

I have a d18 Ive had for 10 years and the sound hole is literally obliterated- where I rest my arm is dark and woodworn... Just a story unto itself. Look at Willie's guitar =)

Good luck!

9. weakfingertips

weakfingertips Member

both tbh

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  10. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

Just play, man. It isn't furniture.

Just my opinion.

el capitan and weakfingertips like this.
  11. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

agree with the above "keep" comments
    practice, practice, practice with that beautiful instrument

Tommy Biggs and fretless like this.
  12. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Keep it. Those are character marks. You'' know its yours in case of some future mix up. I know my guitars by the dings in them, fondly remembering how I dropped it.

Tommy Biggs and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  13. jdr1014

jdr1014 Member

I understand your concern. I'd keep it if it plays and sounds good. If those light nicks still bothered me, I'd use a toothpick and apply a very small droplet of tru-oil to them - just enough to cover them......they would likely become pretty obscure.

14. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

The very first night of owning my brand new cedar-top classical guitar, I was bending over to close up the case and the cassette tape I had inadvertently placed in the front pocket of my shirt fell out and dinged my new guitar right next to the fretboard (on the body).

I no longer carry cassette tapes in front shirt pockets. :D

Your dings are MUCH smaller than my instant cassette christening.

Guitars unfortunately get dinged. Unless you only play in the middle of a grassy field forever, it will happen.
    My classical now has even more blemishes, but it sounds absolutely beautiful.

Instruments should always be played.

Play it.

fretless, Outlaw and Tommy Biggs like this.
  15. foundandlost

foundandlost Member

Keep it. I played a Seagull S6 for years, beautiful instrument at its price point, but, as others have mentioned, the cedar top is very soft and will have dings and buts. No problem. I sold mine at one point to a friend and I still get to play it sometimes. Twenty years in, it's absolutely well worn in, but still going strong

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  16. jakefmvermont

jakefmvermont Supporting Member

play it...some day it might look like this:

[​IMG]

17. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

If it bugs you too much, get another one. I do agree with the poster above who said that cedar tops get nicks quick - my S6 looks like a guitar that is 20 years older than it is. I dig all the scars on mine. If you love it, keep it. If there is doubt, get a new one.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

I used to own an S6, and the top is really soft indeed. I would wager that if you returned it, the new one would probably arrive with some dings as well.

19. Photojeep

Photojeep Member

Like guitararmy said above, I also keep gifts as the specific item was picked out for me. At this point in your playing journey, your parent's actions are a large part of your entry into playing. As others have said, with the soft wood your guitar is made from, sooner or later you won't be able to distinguish "your" marks from those your guitar came with. If you like the sound it makes (and YOUR ears are the only ones to make that decision) then my advice is to keep it. Seagull guitars are very well built instruments and no matter the little marks they accumulate, they will sound wonderful for many years to come.

Good luck with your decision,
    PJ

20. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Keep it and give it a name. Then it's really yours. Suggestion? Name it Steven. Then you'd have Steven Seagull!