I received an offer from my Reverb watch list .. anyone else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pirateflynn, Feb 6, 2020.

1. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

I'm watching an amp on Reverb and last night I received an offer from the seller. The seller in this case is a retailer. First time this has happened to me. Is this is new thing or is something fishy? I'll contact the shop when they open but I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.
    Thanks!

2. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

I would check with the shop. On a related note, over the weekend I had a seller contact me by email to see if I wanted to save a little (in taxes) and do the deal outside of Reverb. I had contacted earlier in the day over the reverb messaging system to ask some questions......otherwise I would have thought it was a scam.

How the heck did the seller get my email address??? [No, the message was not through the reverb messaging system and forwarded to my email.......it went straight from his email to mine]. :huh

pirateflynn likes this.
  3. Toowoombaus

Toowoombaus Silver Supporting Member

I haven’t seen this on Reverb, but I read about a year ago that eBay was beta testing a similar idea and I guess there are a couple other sites that allow sellers to send offers to “watchers”.

It’s an interesting idea and it may generate some sales although it may have a possibility to turn into some kind of “spam“.
    I’m kind of intrigued by this, and if the price were right I just might buy the item I was watching.

pirateflynn likes this.
  4. StreetwalkinCheetah

StreetwalkinCheetah Member

Yes, I have gotten an offer for a reduced price on an item I was watching before. Happened about a month ago. Was from a traditional retailer on a boutique guitar.

5. Jim S

Jim S Gold Supporting Member

Yes. Pita.

pirateflynn likes this.
  6. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

You are correct, ebay is currently doing this. Sellers can send out a blanket email to watchers of their items and they can offer a specific percentage off through the ebay messaging system. Not a bad idea imo, I've taken advantage of this a few times.

Nath@n, roachone, Timbre Wolf and 3 others like this.
  7. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

Yes, I kind of like it. I've gotten them for items that don't have "Make an Offer" as an option in the listing or for boutique stuff that isn't often discounted. Sure I could message them or call them to haggle, but this saves a step. I could see it being overused and getting spammy though.

RayRay, Phil M, HeavyCream and 2 others like this.
  8. pirateflynn

Okay, thanks. This is making more sense now. I'll report back when I hear from the seller.

9. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

Yes. I got a really nice offer from a retail store on a guitar I was watching back before Christmas. I like the feature.

pirateflynn likes this.
  10. eigentone

eigentone Silver Supporting Member

This has actually been going on for maybe a year. I have received several. Every time it has been a US retailer.

Personally, I don't like it. But… why can't I too spam my watchers on Reverb (aside from dropping the advertised price to a new low)??? It's annoying to have to take time out of my day to review and respond to the offer. And it's a reminder to review and clean up my watch list. My watch list used to be 5 pages and now it is 1. What happened to Reverb?

Toowoombaus likes this.
  11. Jecht

Jecht Member

I’m okay with this. As someone who sells every so often through reverb, I wouldn’t send people offers, but hopefully it reduces the number of watchers to people who are actually likely to buy the item since people don’t want to be spammed.

12. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

It's happened to me as well, but I sadly don't recall if it was on Reverb or eBay. I don't mind the feature.

pirateflynn likes this.
  13. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

It has happened to me on eBay. I believe the email or message is something like “Seller offered you a discount”.

Madsen likes this.
  14. aaronstrumpel

aaronstrumpel Supporting Member

Also, related in terms of sending offers - if you lower your price by 15% all watchers are automatically notified. Also, if you create a sale, I believe all watchers are notified as well. I've used the "make an offer" to my watchers on eBay but haven't seen the option on Reverb yet.

15. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

I've stuck things in my cart, waited, and then received a lower offer.

16. wilsonov7

wilsonov7 Supporting Member

I received an offer yesterday for an item on my Reverb watch list. The pedal kit was originally $129.99 plus $7.99 shipping. They sent me a special offer of $124.99 plus $7.99 shipping. WHOOP-DEE-DOO!

moore_for_less and dbeeman like this.
  17. pirateflynn

It was a legit offer from a retailer. I took it! This option worked out for me. Thanks again for all the input.

babbyb likes this.
  18. hdspringer98

hdspringer98 Supporting Member

I did too...on a Fender '59 Custom Shop Strat, after a bit of back and forth I bought it. Glad I did too, great Strat at an amazing price.

19. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

I had this happen twice recently, saved a decent amount on two different pickup sets, an RV-60 and an RV-50.

If you want an item, and the seller on Reverb doesn't have the 'Make an offer' button, put the item on your watch list, they may contact you and offer a lower price. I've only experienced this with Brand New items.

pirateflynn likes this.
  20. wirsteve

wirsteve Member

I didn't see anyone respond to this. Never do a deal outside of the payment system for the website, unless you can go to a physical store to do it. Even if it seems like it isn't shady, the bad guys are really good...

Spirithunter likes this.