I received the DNA Analogic Gain Fxxker II today...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deaj, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

...and it sounds great! It's definitely the best high gain distortion pedal I've tried to date. It's as good as I'd hoped it would be. I'm not really bonding with it though. I'm pretty sure it's because I just don't have much use for that much gain or that kind of gain. I think I'm getting old. :D

I just recently received a Fulltone OCD and a Love Pedal COT 50. With the COT pushing the OCD I'm getting as much gain as I can imagine ever using and the voicing of this combo is much more my style. Had I known that the COT and OCD would cover my high gain desires I would not have placed my order for the Gain Fxxker. I do have up to 45 days to return the Gain Fxxker to M.F. for a refund but I think I'll be sending it back in the next few days.

I hope my comments here don't deter anyone from giving this one a shake. If you're looking for a high gain distortion pedal with alot of flexibility you'd be hard pressed to do better than the Gain Fxxker. I would say that it definitely lives up to the positive press it has received here on TGP. I've just discovered that I'm an overdrive kind of guy and this pedal is definitely in the distortion camp.

2. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Yeah I have been interested in this pedal.....how high gain is it? Any bands you can compare the sound to at the max and min levels of distortion? Thanks.

3. sage97

sage97 Member

How does it compare to the Hot British?

4. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

This is sounding like a police interrogation but I still have to ask :D ... does the voicing of the pedal make it work well through an already dirty amp? or is it a clean channel only sort of pedal like others out there?

5. Marcello

Marcello Member

and you didn't figure that out before ordering ? ;)

6. drolling

drolling Member

So it's in that mysterious zone somewhere between overdrive & fuzz?

One of my very first pedals was a Boss DS-1, and even tho' many players seem to get a great sound out of this pedal, I was never one of them. I tried a few other distortions in the intervening years but they never stayed on the board very long.

On the other hand, I love a good fuzz, and I always figured there had to be something in between that I just haven't stumbled across yet.

Would I be correct in assuming that the Gain Fxxker has more distortion on tap than an Eternity w/the clip control maxed?

For the sake of reference, are there some commonly known pedals out there that you could compare to the GF?

7. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

If you look at the way pedals are being named these days, apparently our addiction to guitar gear is leading to an addiction to sex.

It all starts when some guitar player gets his SexDrive back, then the next thing you know he's got a Super Hard On and is ready to fxxk some gain!

Personally, I don't want my gain fxxked with, I want it to remain at whatever level I've set it.

:D

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Thank god... I thought I was the only one that shouted, "ReezaFRATzitz!!!" at the point of climax.

-Ben

9. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I spent some time with the Gain Fxxker II yesterday. It's pretty freakin' cool! I'm a little better prepared to provide some feedback so here goes:

At the minimum useable gain setting there's still quite alot. with the gain and tone controls set right you can get some heavy Marshall style crunch - 80's style. This isn't the type of pedal one would use the guitar volume with to clean up (or at least that's my assessment - didn't work for me). It's a full-on distortion pedal. I can't really compare it to any recorded guitar tones as I don't listen to much heavy music these days. The Cut and Fxxk controls allow for alot of flexibility from JCM800 to Randall to Mesa to Bogner high gain type tones. Hope this helps. :)

From memory (I don't have a Hot British but I've played one) I'd say the G.F. is more modern high gain while the H.B. leans in a classic direction. The G.F. can get downright brutal - much moreso than the H.B. I'd have to play the H.B. again to offer a useful comparison.

I didn't like the results in front of an amp already in overdrive. It worked well enough in front of an amp on the verge but only at or below unity gain. Sounds best to my ears into a clean amp that takes pedals well.

:D

Gas is a weird thing. It took having access to a really good high gain tone again to realize that I won't really use it anymore. :NUTS

My Eternity is a low gain version so I can't answer your question with certainty. That said I can't imagine an Eternity producing this much gain. I think the only pedals that the G.F. could be compared to would be those in the Boss Metal Zone category. This isn't a fair comparison either because the Boss, Digitech, DOD, Line6, etc just sound thin and processed to my ears - not very amp-like at all. I used them for comparison because most have a flexible EQ and alot of gain - a workable description for the G.F. The Gain Fxxker II sounds HUGE and feels/sound much more like a high gain amp than any other distortion pedal I've tried.

10. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Thanks for your reply :)

11. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Any chances at all of somebody doing some clips of this thing? I have not heard a single one, and $250 is a hefty sum to experiment with.

12. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Thanks for the review, you saved me some money! I love high gain but also like pedals that can react to your guitars volume knob.

13. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, Thanks!

It's clip time...