I remember seeing a certain Telecaster neck once, but...

morglan

Silver Supporting Member
I vividly remember handling a friend's tele once that had an unusual neck. It was a factory Fender model, thinline, and (I think) regular single coil set up. I cannot remember Iif it was a MIJ model, but I'mreasonably sure it was before the MIMs came out (early 90s).

The interesting thing about it was that the back of the headstock was not flat--it was shaped almost like a bowling pin would be--full and rounded.

I have not seen another one like it in person or in pictures--anybody know anything about these?

(I suppose my memory could be mistaken, but iam 99.99% ssure it was exactly as I described as it was the first 'real deal' Fender Telecaster that I ever got to handle and play.)

fetchzee

Do you mean the back of the headstock at the bottom (going down and around from the logo)?

I've had several MIJ/CIJ '60s necks with that rounded profile - and the "flat-head" profile just looks wrong to me.

morglan

Silver Supporting Member
Do you mean the back of the headstock at the bottom (going down and around from the logo)?

I've had several MIJ/CIJ '60s necks with that rounded profile - and the "flat-head" profile just looks wrong to me.
I think this is the right description. Of course it flattened out where the tuners attached, but itdefinitely had that rounded contour.