I replaced the stock speaker because...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Telfer, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

Don't we all...

Trick Fall and Rumble5 like this.
  2. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

Cheap? The Jensen 12 inch alnico I bought was $227.... cheap would be $75 to me and no speakers are under $100.

3. amoodymule

amoodymule Silver Supporting Member

I once read on these pages, that Mike Soldano stated that speaker change is more evident than tube swapping. It has been quite a few years, and owning one of his amps for almost 20 years, ...well, :dunno

I've had fun changing speakers :beer

ChampReverb likes this.
  4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I agree about the speaker changes, even though I can also attest that select tube changes can also boldly alter an amp's character.

5. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I learned today how big a difference speakers can make. I’ve swapped some tubes around before and never heard much of a change (typical JK, Tung Sol, etc type tubes...haven’t gone down the NOS rabbit hole so maybe I’d hear it then), but speaker change, that was easy to hear.

I picked up a used Carr Impala recently for a good price. Great amp, big fat tone, but I found it lacking in highs a little and the mid quality just wasn’t what I’m used to hearing. Now, it’s one of those things I may get used to and I’m going to give it a bit, but this morning I plugged the amp into my 1x12 cab with an Eminences Legend 1258. This is a speaker I know and love ever since I first tried it in a Victoria Ivy League. I then got one for my Lil Dawg Superdawg head and put it into this 1x12 cab. When I plugged the Carr into that, boom....there was the sound I wanted. Instantly the highs had a little more clarity and definition, the mids were just as I like them. So, no full on speaker swap yet and maybe the cab accounts for a little of that....but I’m betting it’s 90% the speaker.

I’m going to give the stock Carr Elsinore a thorough trial period, maybe I’ll grow to love it.....but if not I’ll just swap out to the Legend 1258 I know I like and I’m betting it’ll be perfect.

MHG and Telfer like this.
  6. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

I swapped a 16ohm Sheffield 1230 from a Peavey 112E cab with a 8ohm Greenback for less lowend. It was the best answer for the cab.

7. wetordry

wetordry Member

I put a celestion gold in a super champ xd and it was good.
    Stock speaker was ok, but it really had no chance in that comparison....not even close.
    I did it because I think it's a nice little amp.

Telfer and amoodymule like this.
  8. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

The Louis Columbia is the first amp I didn't have the urge to replace the OEM speaker in, in some 45 years. Looking for another Jupiter 12LC for an ext cab.

9. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Because TGP said i had to or i was a dork. Same reason i sold all my pedals and got new ones that did the same thing. Same reason i ditched my tube amp for solid state. Then modeling. Then tube again. Its like being addicted to plastic surgey. I cant stop and im getting uglier.

Telfer, amoodymule and Timbre Wolf like this.
  10. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

My Jet City combo was a good amp held back by a bad speaker, and since a WGS Retro 30 came with it, I installed it. Fire breathing low watt monster now.

My DC3 sounded dark and kinda muddy. Also replaced that with a Retro 30 but I overshot the mark a bit this time.

I’ll try again.

Been thinking of swapping some neodymium speakers into my 410 combo, but that would be pricey.

Telfer likes this.
  11. NatGardner

NatGardner Member

Because I thought a combo amp was a bit too bright and I read in Guitar Player mag that it may be the speaker. This was before the internet. Then I realized that my guitar has a tone control for a reason.

Telfer and amoodymule like this.
  12. amoodymule

amoodymule Silver Supporting Member

Even though I read the words, I still swapped tubes as much as the wallet allowed, and swapped speakers, curiosity killed the cat, and it was an enlightening experience :crazy

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  13. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Replaced the alnico with in my DRRi, because the G12h30 is better.
    A v30 might be even better.

mojah likes this.
  14. Haruki

Haruki Member

Not mine, but an '85 VOX AC30TBR. The stock speakers were from Fane.

[​IMG]

I bought a then new '87 model. I thought something was "missing".
    In 1987, I didn't know that The Celestion Alnico Blue was an essential component to the classic/original VOX sound. Furthermore, Celestion stopped making them in ~1970.

Anyway...

I was influenced by a Celestion Vintage 30s (V30s) advertisement re: The big guitar sound of the 60s". Those were pre-internet days ('87), and information about the best tubes and speaker for that amp wasn't easy to find. I was lucky because the V30s were a high-power, ceramic magnet speaker, based on the Celestion Blue alnico. Co/Cobalt at that time, was prohibitively expensive.

[​IMG]

Celestion and VOX would reissue (1993; after about 23 years), the essential Blue alnico and, a closer specification reissue amplifier, respectively, based on the '63 top boost.

[​IMG]

Telfer likes this.
  15. NoGlassNoClass

NoGlassNoClass Member

Yes I missed out on this upgrade when it was still available. I will do my absolute best to blow the V30s so I feel justified in replacing them. But a dozen? Ouch. Maybe Ill just blow the wet cabs and keep the stock speaks on the dry...tonal variety? Thats what Ill tell my "financial advisor"

16. Telfer

Telfer Member

Imagine if every amp came with an integrated seven band graphic equalizer.
    There would be a lot fewer speaker switcha-roos.

17. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Unfortunately, this is untrue. It’s not equivalent.

Glitch Magnet likes this.
  18. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Well, I went through a boatload of speaker swaps over 10+ years questing for either “more this” or “less that” in different amps, and I have a bunch of amps.

However, since I bought a Fromel Shape EQ pedal I have found that I have been able to make several less than ideal speakers “just work” without having to buy a new speaker.

So, I only buy replacement speakers very occasionally these days, and only recently for grab and go small amps for smaller situations where I am unlikely to bring a pedalboard (with an EQ pedal).

-bEn r.

Telfer likes this.
  19. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Certainly sometimes folks are too quick to ditch the stock speaker. The thing is, even though manufacturers often engineer a speaker to “match” an amp, not everyone has the same taste.

If you buy a mass produced amp, more often than not, a speaker swap will get you a better sounding amp to your ears.

Another reason to swap speakers is efficiency. This is a big one for me. I like speakers with low efficiency but some guys might need a little more volume.

I do think an EQ pedal is a great tool. I use one all the time but EQ can’t change the feel or the headroom of an amp the way a speaker can.

Glitch Magnet likes this.
  20. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

They are cheaper than amps and guitars and I find them all the time used. I also sell the ones I don’t keep, although shipping costs have become a problem.