I run direct FOH with my pedalboard plus..........

foureyes

What successes have you all had running direct front of house with your stomp box pedal set up and _______ Amp modeler/emulator...?

Just curious what was tried with good results. Feel free to list the bad as well.

It may be a helpful list for those who would like to use there pedal set up and still go direct FOH.

Scott Peterson

Co-Founder of TGP and Administrator
Staff member
Tech 21 Character "British" and FlyRig5 have both done great for me coupled with my Atomic CLR-Neo.

I've run the British for some years now as my backup; the FlyRig5 was a lucky purchase from the first batch that shipped and I grabbed one on Amazon when someone linked to them here on this forum. The FlyRig5 works great for what it is, I have a review of it up on this section of the forum.

ProfG

Just did this myself for the first time tonight with an Ethos Overdrive TLE--first time direct to the PA with IEMs. Sounded good in the IEMs (need to learn to tweak the mix). The sound man was please with the sound in the house and how my guitar sat in the band mix.

BCy2k

I've been gigging an AMT SS-11a with a Torpedo CAB (+other pedals) direct to FOH for the past 10 months now. I've used it through a variety of PAs with mostly the same FOH sound men. The consensus from the sound men I work with regularly is overwhelmingly positive. I've had band mates walk out front and pull their IEMs and they are liking my sounds out front.

I mostly gig with IEM systems, but I've also used it with a variety of FR powered monitors. I like what I get via my IEM rig, and now that I've started using it with an Alesis Alpha 112 FRFR I'm liking how that sounds as well when I can't run IEM. Sometimes there are subtle differences I've noticed in terms of how the highs translate from monitor system to monitor system, but out front things have been very consistent.

The tones are there, and the convenience & consistency are too. So far I haven't been too tempted to change much, but I am curious to try an Ethos in place of the AMT just for grins.

EDIT - because hearing something is so much better than reading about it . . .
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/bcy2k/bc-ss-11a-demo-3-10-14[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited:

charley

Gold Supporting Member
I have had excellent results with a Tech 21 Blonde into a QSC K8....or just direct FOH. I had a gig recently where the other guy was using a much more expensive "modeler." He sounded thin and washed out.....a real lack of presence and cut. My Blonde sounded warm, organic, and full. Adding a touch of reverb to the Blonde gave it a real Blackface feel and sound (I use a Flint for this, and the trem helps get that Fender vibe too).

rufe

I have had excellent results with a Tech 21 Blonde into a QSC K8....or just direct FOH. I had a gig recently where the other guy was using a much more expensive "modeler." He sounded thin and washed out.....a real lack of presence and cut. My Blonde sounded warm, organic, and full. Adding a touch of reverb to the Blonde gave it a real Blackface feel and sound (I use a Flint for this, and the trem helps get that Fender vibe too).

What "modeler" are you referring to? Many of the more expensive modelers also take some time to dial in sounds because they are so deep.

If it was a Kemper of AxeFX, I'd say the other guy didn't know how to dial it in correctly.

If you say a POD of some form, then you'd be correct - you win. I've spend some time dialing in PODs for people as a favor, never with roaring success. Can I get them to sound decent? Sure. I'd still take a $200 Liverpool over that. Or my $30 Joyo AC Tone at that.

rufe

And to answer the OP- I run my pedalboard into an AxeFXII. While I love the Liverpool/AC Tone, after spending some time with the AxeFX, I love it as a direct solution- especially with the vast options and updates. The main church I play at has a no-amp policy, so it's the best of the situation.

I still love plugging into a live amp whenever I can over the AxeFX, but when I can't, the AxeFX is the closest thing I've found.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
What "modeler" are you referring to? Many of the more expensive modelers also take some time to dial in sounds because they are so deep.

If it was a Kemper of AxeFX, I'd say the other guy didn't know how to dial it in correctly.

If you say a POD of some form, then you'd be correct - you win. I've spend some time dialing in PODs for people as a favor, never with roaring success. Can I get them to sound decent? Sure. I'd still take a $200 Liverpool over that. Or my $30 Joyo AC Tone at that.

He was using both a Boss and one of the TC Helicon units, it was a very complicated setup. I agree, it must have been user error, not the machine.

BUT, my point is, it doesn't take an expensive feature filled unit to sound good.....and vice/versa, sometimes more expensive gear isn't always automatically better.

JPenn

i use a couple of od pedals into a zoom g3 set on a clean j6tm45 setting. sounds pretty good to me, and some of my musician buddies that comes out to hear me play every now and then.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member

That is a blanket statement that is simply not true for every player. I've seen heard local players all the way up to Lincoln Brewster get great sounds out of a "POD of some form".

drjordan

I used an Eleven Rack for several years; I've only recently switched back to a regular amp. With my own band I had really good results because I was in control of what it sounded like. However, when I wasn't in control of the sound system I had mixed results. Sometimes it sounded great; other times, not so much. It all depended on whether or not the soundman could set it right or even cared to try to set it right. I really should have played live through headphones more.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
My analog pedalboard has a Zoom MS-50G last in line for amp emulation and reverb, this can go direct to FOH as a spare rig. I have gigged with it and it works OK, but I don't really prefer getting all my dirt from pedals only.

I have also used this pedalboard into a Marshall JMD:1, and its speaker emulated out to FOH, with the internal amp disabled, is a very good tone indeed. I usually use the FRFR direct for most of the volume, and feed in the direct amp as needed. I just love that amp.

I tend not to use the analog pedalboard with any of my Line 6 gear (now mostly a X3 and Shortboard), the X3 has enough versatility to make the analog pedalboard not worth the effort of carrying and connecting.

The Marshall is for loud gigs, and the X3 for quiet ones. The Zoom pedal rig is mostly for backup.

foureyes

A lot O love here for the Tech21 Character series so far. I was considering the Liverpool or a Zoom Ms50g before I started this thread. Leaning toward the Liverpool.

rewihendrix

I have the fly rig. Have had a couple of gigs using it and it's been excellent.

I'm considering one of the AMT legend series for my heavier stuff. The fly rig does everything up to classic metal but won't do thrash or anything where a tight high gain sound is required.

shawn w

I've used a few different ones, being a constant fiddler. Right now i have two boards that see some rotation. One with the TECH 21 blonde, Klon clone, chorus, delay and a volume pedal. It had almost all the Joyo amp modeler pedals on it at one point too. I like them all. We use IEMs with no amps. The other board has a volume, tuner and a FlyRig 5. It sounds really good. I've also got a HD500 that hasn't seen as much use lately, but to me works well also. I don't seem to have the same issues with them that some of the others have, but maybe my ear isn't as good. I've owned a pile of different amps over the years and the amp modeler stuff to me has saved a lot of work. No more lugging cabs/amps around. One bag/case, one guitar, plug in and go. I'm blessed to play to 400-600 people every Sunday with a lot of guitar players in the audience and have yet to ever hear a bad comment. Most of the time its the exact opposite. They're checking out what's going on. One of the keys, and some times its tough to do in different environments, is dial your tones to the band. Its not whats always going to sound best by itself. We have two large iso cabinets to put amps in. I had one other player who was using a Fender Blues Jr mic'd up and he was a little disappointed that it didn't sound better than my modeled rig.
Bottom line for me was to get one, dial it to the band so it cuts and go.
Shawn

Hamer95USA

I have the ability to run to FOH using an ADA Depot 3TM modded MP-1 preamp running 4CM into a Zoom G9.2tt effects processor pedalboard. I run the output of the Zoom G9.2tt into a Palmer PDI-09 direct box to the mixer. I use this as my backup guitar rig, in case my Marshall 6101 combo amp goes down. The preamp sounds is awesome as it's real high gain Marshall overdrive tone in the distorted tube channel, a brown sounding clean tube channel along with a clean solid state channel. Compared to all the modeling presets on the other processors, they just don't sound as good as my 3TM modded MP-1 preamp. :dude

Guitar George

rublalup

I have an Eleven Rack that use direct to FOH and use a Power Engine 60 as monitor. This weekend I´m playing a small bar gig and will be going only on my power engine 60, the PA is just to small to load guitar + keys + voice. The 11R + PE combo sounds great on its own and I´m pretty confident that volume wise it will fit the bill with no problem.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom