• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I saw Mike Stern at Montreal Jazz Fest

pattste

I saw Mike Stern at the Montreal Jazz Festival tonight. I think they played only five or six tunes but they lasted like 20-30 minutes each! Stern is a funny guy, great interaction with the crowd.

I had a first-row center ticket so I was able to see his setup well. He played his Yamaha Pacifica Tele all night through a pair of blackface Fender amps (Twin Reverbs?). His pedalboard featured a Boss Tuner, three Boss Delay pedals, a Boss DS-1 and a purple Maxon pedal (chorus?). He used a Whirlwind Leader cable and what appeared to be very thin white picks. Obviously he isn't a member of TGP.

The band had the amazing Alain Caron on bass. He played a 6-string fretless made by F Guitars through two Mark Bass combos and a Roland V-Bass Synth. About an hour into the show, the Roland unit simply quit on him. After a few seconds of trying to revive it, the show must go on, so he plugged directly into his amps for the rest of the show!

I love Stern's clean sound, but I have never been a fan of his dirtier tones. Now his lines.. Oh yea! The man can play.

anais

Most likely he was using rentals.
Mike gets 3 Twin Reverbs rented for most one of gigs and uses 2 because he says "one always shows up busted maaannn".

Great guy to say the least... Mike actually warmed up for my group back in November (scariest gig ever..) very cool guy though.. wouldnt stop talking about the pool at his hotel haha..:nuts

Blanket Jackson

is Tio's favorite
Gold Supporting Member
Just saw the Stern Trio out an outdoor gig in Brooklyn a couple weeks ago. Real good fun. He is having a fun time with the crowd for sure.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Mike gets 3 Twin Reverbs rented for most one of gigs and uses 2 because he says "one always shows up busted maaannn".

Great guy to say the least... Mike actually warmed up for my group back in November (scariest gig ever..) very cool guy though.. wouldnt stop talking about the pool at his hotel haha..:nuts
What group are U in BTW?

toddinjax@yahoo

Stern is a great musician. Unfortunately, he is also proof that "tone is not completely in the fingers"; his lines are amazing, his tone horrible.

Blue Light

I'd love to see him. Got a few of his CDs a while ago and really like his grooves and improv flights, but as with John Scofield there was a period where the watery-waffle chorus effect was used.... just a little too much.

I hear he's not using it so much now. I'd have LOVED to have seen him front row. His wife Leni Stern has put out some cool albums, too.

Is this the guitar he was using? This is Yamaha's Mike Stern model, which is based on a Tele he lost in a robbery.

pattste

Stern is a great musician. Unfortunately, he is also proof that "tone is not completely in the fingers"; his lines are amazing, his tone horrible.
I agree. His clean tone was pretty good but his overdriven tone was blah. I saw Bill Frisell last year in the exact same venue from the front row too and his tone, both clean and overdriven, was gorgeous.

aeolian

Bunch of us went up to see him awhile back at Yoshis when Vic first started playing with him and Dennis. Afterward, Wedemeyer and I are standing around waiting for some others and realize that Stern is just standing there next to us. I didn't know if Mike knew or recognized John but he turns and asks where he can get a hamburger that time of night. Now John is a really healthy eater and tries to tell him all kinds of good places nearby. Mike just gives us that big grin he has and says he just wants a "big, greasy cheeseburger, man". So low key and down to earth. I told him there was a Nations a couple blocks away and he nods "thanks man" and ambles off. Whole thing was kind of sureal. Like Mike was just some tourist standing there asking strangers how to get around, not the headliner everyone had just been watching.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
If you don't have his first US record as a leader, Upside Downside, you need to get it. His writing is incredible and his playing ferocious. Some of the sounds are a little dated, but who cares?

Trending Topics