I Saw Something Really Disturbing At Guitar Center Today (Gibson Content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Taylor 339, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

Let me start by saying I'm a huge Gibson fan. I've read every thread posted on here about Gibson QC. I own an 09 ES-339 which I bought new and last month I purchased a new 2011 LP Standard. Other than needing a set up out of the box, both are great guitars. The fit and finish on both are exceptional. My only complaint is the Corian nut binding issue which everyone knows about. I use graphite in the slots at each string change and never have a problem.

So today I'm in Guitar Center and this store has a work area for their repair guy (tech) that's out on the floor. In other words, not in an enclosed area where you can watch and talk to him while he works. I notice this beautiful new cream colored LP with a Custom headstock (I didn't notice if it was a Custom or one of the new Classic Customs) with the tags still on it on a stand near the tech. I walked over to get a closer look and struck up a conversation with the tech. He said, "Yea, we're going to have to send that one back to Gibson." Of course I asked why and he said the nut was bad. I asked him how. He then loosened the low E and moved the string to the side of the neck to show me how poor the slot was cut. The string was actually sitting on top of the slot because it wasn't wide enough for the string to go in the slot. So I say to him, "That should be an easy fix." He then tells me all six slots are the same way. He takes his thumb and strums across the strings at the top of the fret board and there literally is no audible sound from this guitar. I was stunned. He goes on to say he was going to replace the nut but the factory painted over the side of the nut and if he attempts to replace the nut her will damage the finish on the neck. So I took closer look at the nut and sure enough, both sides of the nut are painted:omg.

I wasn't going to post about this since I know where this thread will go but as a Gibson owner and fan since 1967, I was disgusted with what I saw today.

2. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

I'm guessing it's one of the new "Custom Classics," which are pretty darned bad based on the half dozen or so I've encountere. I'm not an elitist, but those guys are just plain bad.

3. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

that's how they come from the factory. it's the buyer's job to have the tech set up the guitar how they prefer.

4. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

The sides of the nut are and have always been painted on Gibsons

5. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

:sarcasm

6. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

My 2011 Classic Custom was fine.......

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

but but...doesn't everyone prefer to at least have them with audible sound first? :mob

8. 27sauce

They're not? You might want to check again. The nut is installed before the guitar is painted, they only tape off the top. Its always been this way.

9. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

they tune up just fine. as long as the string isn't jumping out of the slot at pitch, there's no real reason for alarm.

10. vanguard

vanguard Member

no. you can't know how it sounds until you've voided your GC return option and spent $100 on a set-up. it's like a. . .uh. . .surprise!

11. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Every single gibson I own has NO paint, I repeat, NO paint on the side of the nut. All are clean, unpainted, and do not have a finish painted over them either.

12. 27sauce

Most of the time its just the clear coat.

My '62 SG has it, my '60 Melody Maker, '94 Standard, '64 LG-1, '07 CR8, all have it.

13. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I don't think they can jump out of the slot if they never get into the slot in the first place. That nut was obviously cut badly or was somehow overlooked as defective. Gibson does things like this, just like any other company does. Good days and bad days.

14. 335guy

335guy Member

None of my Gibsons have any paint on the nuts. And I thought many new ones were pleked. The plek machine is supposed to cut the nut slots, right? Perhaps that model is not pleked.

15. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

The thing to remember is that the QC guy/girl who checked the guitar was not into their job at the time.....but based on the surveys of working at Gibson, I think it has more to do with the way employees are treated unfortunately.

16. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

I own a bunch of Gibsons, from new to vintage and all of them have the sides of the nuts painted (with clear), like they are supposed to. Maybe some don't realize by 'painted' that means with the clearcoat. :huh Why would a tech have to replace a nut that is cut too high, maybe if it was cut too low then yes.:rotflmao

17. 27sauce

early '60's Special
    [​IMG]

18. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

So do all my Gibsons, including my 2003 MM P90 Jr. I think these other guys either all have replaced nuts or just aren't noticing the clear coat.

19. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I think this is most likely the case. When management doesn't care, and they obviously don't care to find an alternate source for rosewood, it's a case of **** rolling down hill.

20. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

I've never seen another company with that policy.