I saw Styx/Kansas last nite...

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
And, I have to say, this is gonna go in my top 5 concerts of all time!
:eek: :dude
I was totally unprepared for the entertainment extravaganza that was Styx.
We were in a medium sized, old (but renovated) auditorium, and the acoustics were awesome. We were also 10 rows back, center stage.
Just right.
Kansas opened, and sounded really good. Walsh's voice is a bit past it, but he still pulled it off. The new violinist reminded me of Jean Luc Ponty...a monster. Phil Ehart was awesome on the kit as well.
They played for about 50 minutes, then 30 minute intermission.
Styx came out with the full linear array PA blazing...lights, props...it was night and day from Kansas. On an entertainment scale, they were running around like teenagers at an all night rave. Everybody in the band was ON FIRE musically, and the energy/chops just went through us like cannon fire. My jaw was on the floor most of the night. The new keyboard/vocalist (Gowen, I think his name is) floored me all night long as well. Played/sang his ass off, and was one of the best front men I've seen in a long time. Every member was just killin' it. Tommy Shaw played a variety of killer axes...his tone was phat (especially with this Les Paul Historic he played alot) and his chops were awesome and totally rocking. Young also had lead tone to die for...even better tone than Tommy, IMO. He had a blue strat with SSH config, and a Floyd Rose. MAN he sounded good. I just wish I could have seen their amp rigs...but everything was out of sight.

Anyway, after the confetti and beach balls were all showered on us at the end of the gig, and a rousing encore ensued...we left thoroughly entertained and knowing we had seen a truly great American classic rock band at the peak of their powers.

I still cant believe how good they were.

Anybody getting a chance to see Styx should damn well GO.

(I think they're in Milwaukee tonite.)

:cool:

S.
j

Victor R

Formerly wstsidela
Platinum Supporting Member
Styx & Journey are probably the best sounding classic rock bands working. REO still sounds pretty good too.

waxnsteel

Seen Styx twice with Lawrence on keys, and they smoked both times. It helps to have a sizable catalog of great songs. Big Styx fan here.

Glide

Saw them in 1979. Just unbelievable. Damn, was that 30 freakin years ago? already?

DF1

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Glide. You should have showed the ticket price. I'm guessing about $7.50

Stratobuc

I remember seeing Styx circa 1974 with John Curelewski on the other guitar. Totally different sound, in my opinion - the best version of that band.

jcs

yep i loved equinox with john curelewski on guitar and the older stuff too.

i must say styx has always been very impressive live for those who have never seen them perform in person!

Sean French

I saw Styx with REO a few years back.Both were great but,Styx was on fire.
I first saw Styx in '79 at the Boston Garden.Rick Derringer opened up.
That was a show I'll never forget as it was my first concert.
Saw Kansas is '80 of their Audio Visions tour and they blew me away.

twinrider1

Hey Glide. You should have showed the ticket price. I'm guessing about $7.50
If that! I was thinking that today's service charges are more than the whole ticket was back then.

I'll be on the lookout for the Styx/Kansas show. Phil Ehart is great. I'm not a drummer, but I went to a drum clinic he gave and it rocked.

Trending Topics