I searched, didn’t see the controversial Metallica news thread?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by moemoe6434, Jul 19, 2019.

1. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Businessmen maximize profits on high-demand items.

Riveting!

3. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

Rich bands shaft their fans under the table rather than just raising face price of tickets above the board.

Depressing!

4. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I'm sure all those Metallica fans are going to just stop buying Metallica CD's and teach them a lesson!

5. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I'm glad there's nobody left that I want to see in concert!
    :banana

6. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

I think most "real" Metallica fans stopped buying their albums when "The Black Album" was released.
    :hide

7. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

Maybe, maybe not, but I know one thing for sure: $120 for $60 nose-bleed tickets kept me from taking my son last time they were here.

Burt-Reynolds, NamaEnsou and fretless like this.
  8. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I saw a headline from this article on Flipboard, but when I clicked on it the article had been taken down for legal reasons. I’m guessing Metallica didn’t like the story.

9. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Someone else eagerly snapped up those two seats that were too expensive for you.
    From Metallica's standpoint it's not a problem until the shows stop selling out.
    Unlike recordings, there's a finite number of seats they can sell, but as long as that finite number keeps selling, they're fine.
    The crazy demand for the close seats offsets any possible losses from the distant seats, because now the price isn't fixed.

27sauce and derekd like this.
  11. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

12. Gclef

Gclef Member

Anybody that pays crazy money to see any band is out of their mind.

75 bucks tops per ticket. For better seats. Anymore is pure greed. Also not worth it to me.

My wife got me tickets to rush's farewell tour. They were crazy expensive, but she knew it was the last hurrah.

She still hasn't told me what they cost.

If and when Tool comes around, I will see them, no matter what.

freedom's door likes this.
  13. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

Unfortunately, there are not many major bands that I care to see live anymore.
    It seems they are either caricatures of what they once were or one or two remaining members playing with a ‘tribute’ band.
    I saw most of them when they were young and still hungry, so that itch has been scratched.

Fortunately, there are plenty of younger (newer) bands that are touring with much more reasonable ticket prices, and they still aren’t filling stadiums, so the ticket prices are reasonable.

14. sws1

sws1 Member

TM needs to create special tix for a cell-phone free zone. I would pay for them no matter what they cost.

TubeStack and fretless like this.
  15. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

From what I've noticed over the last 25 years of concert-going is that the art of putting on an awesome concert is all but completely lost. With all of the advancements in PA's and visual graphics you would think concerts would be at their Zenith these days. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Lame lame lame.

freedom's door likes this.
  16. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

Well I’ve certainly stayed away due to ticket prices and after this story I don’t see myself being inclined to make an attempt to see them in the future. This is my favorite band for decades. Probably seen them 25 times all over the country. I have their logo tattooed on my arm. I wanted to take my son to see them now that he’s getting old enough but that’s out at this point. I won’t bother.

17. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

The wife and I really wanted to see Fleetwood Mac, but the tickets for sub par seats were something like $300+ ea. Once I saw Lindsey wasn't even going to be a part of the band I just shrugged and gave up on it. Stevie is great, but not $300+ great to see live.

18. RicardoUK

RicardoUK Member

Why don't they just raise the prices when there is demand?

The only reason I can think of is that if it was $200 a ticket from the get go, the people going would all be rich folk who don't make for a good atmosphere. That and 'image' of being capitalists, which they are and is not a crime

19. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

The core demographic for them are around 50 yrs old now (!), peak earning power. (Fleetwood is affluent retirees).
    'Out on the road today, I saw a Metallica sticker on a BMW...'

20. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

You guys are missing the bigger point here IMO.

I am not offended at the price. I said before, just sell them at the higher price if they want to be bold capitalists, that is their right.

I am more offended by the fact that an arena show “sells out” in 30 seconds and you are left with $100 crap tickets only to find a few thousand tickets on the secondary market. So you are strapped with $100 crap seats trying to justify buying a second, better pair for $250.

If they had been published at the aftermarket $250 price from the start, maybe I would have made the choice to purchase the better seats at the higher price.

Why punish your fans by pushing them further back rather than rewarding them for making a priority that day to be on the site at exactly 11am? I have seen many shows where city slickers in suits show up with dates in the front rows and leave after a few songs due to this garbage.

This article makes it very clear that Metallica put a lot of thought into this so that it was concealed for their image. Just do it openly and it won’t appear as shady.

And talk about shady, you know it’s bad when Ticketmaster wouldn’t even allow it, so they had to go to Live Nation to sell their souls.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    guff, monty, NamaEnsou and 2 others like this.