• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I sheared off 2 of the tuners on my Les Paul Jr. What to do?

VHS analog

I sheared off 2 of the tuners on my Les Paul Jr GC 2005. What should I do?
Is there a place I can source just two tuners? They're an odd size it seems, a little bit bigger box than normal Klusons.
Should I upgrade to something like Hipshot or Gotoh?
Contact Gibson?
Can the boxes be soldered or glued back on? (ie. repair the two broken ones)

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
there's no fixing them, just replace the set.

allparts has ones that fit exactly, like these.

(also, count yourself lucky; you could have just as easily snapped off the headstock there; gibsons don't bounce like fenders, they break!)

VHS analog

there's no fixing them, just replace the set.

allparts has ones that fit exactly, like these.

(also, count yourself lucky; you could have just as easily snapped off the headstock there; gibsons don't bounce like fenders, they break!)
Well damn. You're right, those are the EXACT ones.

otaypanky

Play it like you mean it ~
From looking at your photo it appears that the box piece would have had two small tabs that fit in the base that's still attached to the headstock. Those tabs are likely just bent over flat to secure the box to the base. The shaft and worm gear will mesh. It might be possible to get them back together. 'Might be a waste of time in the long run, but if I had done that to my guitar I'd be trying to get 'em back together.
But WalterW is probably correct, I'm just guessing and I like to putter

walterw

sadly, those covers are cast pot metal, not steel; as such, they don't "bend". this i why i prefer the gotoh versions like the historic gibsons use; they are steel, and won't break off in the first place. you'd need the conversion bushings to use them, though.

you can try to rig them back together (assuming the little tabs haven't snapped off entirely) by re-assembling, setting the key against a hard, flat surface, then hitting the tabs where they poke through with a sharp punch and a hammer so as to spread them out a little, "peening" them to grab the hole again. it's never more than a tenuous, temporary fix though.

nateclark

I would just throw out those broken tuners, and replace the whole set. IMO, fixing those cheap tuners is a waste of time.

Grenville

I broke 3 of those (double-ring buttons though) when my Flying V fell over. I did manage to bend the little tabs straight (one or two had broken off) and pushed and snapped everything back together.

walterw

I broke 3 of those (double-ring buttons though) when my Flying V fell over. I did manage to bend the little tabs straight (one or two had broken off) and pushed and snapped everything back together.
How old are these? The kluson ones from the '70s might have actually been bent-steel, and thus fixable.
If they're the newer schaller-made ones with the threaded bushings, I'll almost guarantee that the "fixed" ones have the covers pulling away from the plates at least a little bit, especially if you push on the key at all.

Grenville

I had some detailed pics but seem to have disposed of most of them, but these two will give you an idea.

When the guitar fell over the shafts pushed upwards, dislodging from their cradles and pushing the box cover off.

I had to reseat the shafts into their cradles and snap the box covers back on.

This was tricky because each cover has two tabs at either end of the box, that seats into a slot on the screwed-in base of the machine head.

When the boxes were unseated, the tabs were bent and straightening them out with pliers broke a couple of the tabs.

I managed to straighten things out enough but it was a matter of persistence to get everything lined up properly and snapped back together. I used a spot of superglue to help things out and everything has been well-behaved since, perhaps I was lucky.

How old are these? The kluson ones from the '70s might have actually been bent-steel, and thus fixable.
If they're the newer schaller-made ones with the threaded bushings, I'll almost guarantee that the "fixed" ones have the covers pulling away from the plates at least a little bit, especially if you push on the key at all.
The guitar is a 1977 Ibanez, and as you can see the heads are Schaller. Indeed the covers are probably pulling away very slightly, but seem to be stable now. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can snap a photo or two.

walterw

Yep, that's them. If they're hanging on cool, but replacements might be worthwhile at some point.

cap47

You could bend up some clamps with tabs that line up with the wood screws for the time being. Then order some new ones when you have EXTRA money! :)

walterw

You could bend up some clamps with tabs that line up with the wood screws for the time being. Then order some new ones when you have EXTRA money! :)
you mean like making little metal straps that go over the key back and get held by the screws?

an utter pain in the butt, but doable.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom