I should tell you about my 2nd D'Pergo demo...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Ed DeGenaro, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

But seeing that bringing up D'Pergo brings loads of controversy I'm so not sure I want to...oh, who am I kidding, I will anyways.

Here's the deal, I got to demo one of the 6K models and I really dug it, but I wasn't convinced that it was gonna be my #1 if it were mine. On top of that there is that the neck profile wasn't what I was looking for, and it had a bucker in the bridge.
    So, enter the next demo model...I believe it's oe of the 10K models, but I really don't know what it is. Doesn't matter all that much to me.

Took it out of the case gave it a once over, nice and resonant, neck profile is what I want. Now were getting some where.

Pluged it in...and I gotta say I HATE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT. It played beautifully, especially seeing that it had a fairly low action and does have more of a radius then I've been using these days. But no fretting out when over bending.
    And it sounded glorious. Especially the bridge single coil, as a rule I end up wih bridge buckers o Strats since the singles usually don' work for me. SO, what I had told D'Pergo is that I was looking for a 3 single Strat where I wouldn't feel the need for a bucker.
    Well...it IS. I was thinking that it's just a psycho acoustic thing, so I started A/B'ing against to a few of my other Strats. Side note I had the D'Pergo tune to Eb and compared it to stuff in concert pitch and Eb stuff.
    Here's where I started t get annoyed...and I didn't think I'd ever say that. This could quite conceivably be my #1. All the gushing about how they sound and play...yeah, I get it.
    Now, how do I explain a second mortgage to wife?

Also, please don't piss on my thread. If you don't dig D'Pergos...fine, if you dig something else...finer, or if you simply think anything over x amount is overpriced...finest.
    All I'm saying is that I dig it, and if I can figured out the bread I'm getting one. End of story.

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Well, D'Pergo or not, Congrats on finding your new #1!:BEER

Pics appreciated!

3. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Sometimes it takes a lot of coin to find the #1, other times is comes at a more reasonable price. I didn't realize they were that much $. Congrats if you keep it!

4. Ed DeGenaro

That's a demo...so I'm mosdef not keeping it, but rather pondering the order of one.

5. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...that's awesome Ed! I had to sell 2 guitars to pay for mine...so, you could always thin the herd>:eek:

6. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I can't wait to play one. :)

7. Ed DeGenaro

Except that is against my nature. The only times I ever sell is for financial hard ship...like when my wife decided we had to buy a house I sold 3 guitars to get enough funds to make that happen. I don't flip gear, ever. If I dig it I will want o use it, I might get tired of stuff and put it in the pile but I always come back to it.

8. Peppy

Peppy Member

Any amp(s) it matched up especially well with?

9. Ed DeGenaro

There is this EL84 amp I really dig. :)

10. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

That sucks, Ed. ;)

I can't imagine what 4xEL84 you speak of.

11. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

There's nothing like finding a guitar that feels and sounds just right to you. I've never played a D'Pergo but from what I hear on this forum, they must be killer guitars. Best of luck in getting yours.

12. Frater B

Frater B Member

Can you share any specs.....

Body: Swamp Ash, Alder?
    Neck: 1pc Maple, Rosewood Fretboard?

Thanks for the reviews!

13. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I, for one am glad for you regardless of the builder. I'm proud to say I've played a couple D'Pergo's and loved them, but then again who am I?
    ..now, they will hunt you down and kill you for being pleased with the best least popular Strat in the world...
    :munch

:rolleyes:just kidding, go be happy...:BEER

14. Ed DeGenaro

I'm sure you can't :) Not like I work for an amp company.

15. Ed DeGenaro

No clue on the specs...other than maple board.

16. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Wow 10K for a guitar - that's a lot of money. Having said that, I guess if we were in a positon to afford it then there would be no issues. Great to see you have found a guitar that you really like.

17. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Oh my gosh! Did you see what post this was for you?!

18. Swampash

Swampash Member

Leave it to someone called "Irreverent" to notice that someone else has exactly 666 posts...:rotflmao

19. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I didn't need to read this. :)

20. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

Ed...that was the first thing that jumped out at me as well. I had never played a Strat style guitar that had such a good sounding bridge pickup. As I'm sure you've found by now, working that bottom tone knob a little with it will produce some glorious sounds as well.
    I don't know if you're an "in between" kind of guy, but I also absolutely love the tone of the guitar in the second position (between the bridge and middle pickup).

I'd like to hear more about your experience with it, after you've played it for a few hours.:)

Also, I know that no good deed goes unpunished, but I'd also love to hear some sound clips from you with it........:BEER