• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I so badly want this tone

eldanko

I thought he had an old AC30 head/cab during this era?

Amen. Phil's one of the greatest living players on the planet. Great guy too.

Blue Strat

Looks like a Fender silverface combo behind the drummer. Deluxe Reverb? Vibrolux Reverb? Pro Reverb? Just as I suspected from the tone.

studiodunn

Platinum Supporting Member
Great tone indeed. What a player.

Can you just image a time when wearing a crochet halter top over a button up was OK!

lightningsmith

Silver Supporting Member
When I saw Glass Harp in the 70's Phil used 2 Twin Reverbs. You can see a Twin in this clip.
Would you happen to know if he used an overdrive or fuzz pedal? I'd wager that's how he got his overdrive considering he played in a small studio.

NPP

Thanks for posting this; never heard of Keaggy before but will definitely check out his stuff

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Can you just image a time when wearing a crochet halter top over a button up was OK!
Can you imagine a time when everyone in the band would have beards with long hair and wear ridiculously tight shirts...

Blue Strat

Would you happen to know if he used an overdrive or fuzz pedal? I'd wager that's how he got his overdrive considering he played in a small studio.
I'd wager he was using a smaller amp than a Twin, cranked. ;)

There's no way to tell with any certainty that he's using a Twin in that clip.

Different tools for different jobs.

Strat

That's still the style here in Youngstown !!! He should be back to visit family soon, I'll ask him but it looks like a Twin to me and he played many a Twin in those days. Sferra might know if I run into him.

Great tone indeed. What a player.

Elmer

hell is chrome
No idea what he's using there, but what a cool clip. And is that Derek Smalls on bass? ;)

jboyjams

Bass was real good in that - hard to find - especially the ability to fill it up 3 piece like that - guitar can play lead and it doesn't sound empty - power trio

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Man, that guy is a smokin' player. Sounds like shred before EVH was on the scene. I'm not familiar with this guy at all, but man could he rock that clownburst Norlin Les Paul.

Top Bottom