I so wish I owned a Gibson L5

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BryanMatthews, Aug 2, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

[​IMG]

aint she just a beauty.:drool

I have played a L5 and it blew my mind, no wonder it was the choice of Wes Montgomery. If it wasnt for the spleen rupturing price , I just might be able to get one past my wife.

Any of you guys here lucky enough to own an L5 and got any pics ?

Bryan

2. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

3. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Oh my!

Can I come over for a jam session?

No L5, but I have is this old '93 Le Grand that I could bring.

[​IMG]

:banana

4. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Some of those look smaller in the picture. Are those the Larry Carlton signatures or just an optical dillusion?

:confused:

5. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

[​IMG]

Danny W.

6. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

If I saw an L-5 for sale in my favorite music store, Action Music in Arlington, Virginia, I would probably have to buy it even if I had to sell a few of my guitars to get it.

7. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

They are L-5 Signature models, which are identical to a standard L-5 except for the body size, which is 15.5" w x 2.625" deep. These usually have two pickups. The Lee Ritenour L-5 Signature has the same body, but is acoustically braced, has a single floating pickup and a "fingers" tailpiece.

Danny W.

8. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Nice

I saw your other picture in the Archtop love thread in the Small Luthier Section. Citations, Kalamazoo Award model, Le Grands, floating pup L5 ....

You've come to a dangerous place. You'll also have a room full of archtops from other makers before you're done here. If you don't already.

9. LesR

LesR Member

10. randall g

randall g Member

I've got an early '70's L5 CES in cherry sunburst.

Love it with flatwounds.

11. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

Been there, done that many times. Have had archtops from many luthiers.

Never found that I enjoyed playing them any more than my Gibsons, so that's all I play now.

Danny W.

12. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

13. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Cool.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

What amps are you using with your archtops?

14. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

For the last 6 years I've been using Acoustic Image amps & Raezer's Edge cabinets. My current gigging amp is usually an AI Corus.

Danny W.

15. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

guys

got any clips using your L5`s ?

Bryan

16. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I have 10 electrics, and the ONLY one I still want is an L-5 (I have no desire for 5 of them). But not likely as the old one's are VERY expensive, and I don't play jazz anymore, and if I did, I'd use a solidbody or semi-hollow. But I will NEVER shake the feeling of walking into a music store in '70 (at 10 years old) for a guitar lesson and hearing a great wes-type player playing an L-5 through a Twin. Classic! Punch, bite, smooth, etc. I prefer the CES version with sunken full size humbuckers. And what a vibe!!
    BTW, a friend of mine sold a 60's L-5 for $650 in '83 to get a computer for grad school, and I sold my '68 byrdland for $500 to get a butcher block and wicker dinette set (newlywed) in '84. I still mourn.

17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

IMHO, the Gibson L-5CES is the most beautiful guitar ever made. But be careful what you wish for. I ordered one new (couldn't afford a vintage one) about 8 or 9 years ago. Waited almost 2 years for it. Took it out of the case for the first time and it fretted out in 2 places. Since I'd waited 2 years for it and just got it I didn't want to send it back and wait another 6-12 months. So I paid a good tech to do a fret job. Then one night a couple years later I walked by it and another much cheaper archtop (Korean made Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe) and plucked the strings acoustically on both. The Epi sounded much more alive. I then turned to look at them and...WTF?!!! The tailpiece on the L-5CES was mounted off center!!! I had never seen such shoddy workmanship, let alone from a "Custom Shop". This was Gibson's Custom Shop effort?!! I sold it soon after.
    OK, now all that said, this cloud has a silver lining. In one instance of what could have been total stupidity I bought a new one off Custom Shop Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster with 3 P-90 pu's (I installed Lollars although the originals sounded great) and Gibson really redeemed themselves. Wonderfully crafted guitar. Sounds and plays absolutely killer. It's a lifetime keeper. I still have some serious reservations about Gibson's business decisions (i.e. their internet advertising/selling policies). But I no longer have doubts about their quality control. They are indeed making some outstanding instruments. And consistently so. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Tom

18. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I have two L-5 "like" guitars.

This one is acoustically a cannon and sounds amazing either plugged-in or not:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...this one is the worst $7,600 I ever spent...it's a dog. Never buy a jazz box without playing it first. The guitar is set up nicely with a perfect bridge fit. I just hope it opens up in time. Woof woof.

[​IMG]

I'm really digging these lighter gauge strings lately:

[​IMG]

19. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I have two friends who each have the L-5. One of them mainly plays a Barney Kessel through a BF Deluxe Reverb, and I got used hearing him every week with that. Then one night he showed up with the L-5 and his BF Pro Reverb and I couldn't believe my ears. I mean, once you've heard a good player using a Barney Kessel through a BFDR, you don't really expect you're going to hear a whole lot that will top it. The L-5->Pro Reverb topped it.

20. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I hope you get one. I bought mine in 1989 for $1500. I was taking jazz bass and guitar lessons at the time, and my teacher craved an L5. I got it because I respected his judgment, but once I played it, I was smitten. Just a wonderful instrument that plays like butter. It also covers a wide variety of styles from acoustic and jazz to rock. Here she is!

[​IMG]