I sold an old guy a guitar the other day and he later sent me this bizarre email...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by standard24, Jun 13, 2019.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

He bought an ordinary guitar from me the other day... He didn't want to plug it in, never strummed it even once, and never fretted a single note. He chatted a bunch, shelled out the cash and left. I'd pretty much forgotten about him until this email arrived today.

He starts out saying he's pleased with the guitar, tells me some about his history, asks about mine and then spews forth with this...

"I got a Geology degree from UC-San Diego in 1977 but was playing guitar wherever I was at, and was in Austin visiting when I was asking by Jimmy Buffett to finish his first big tour (his guitarist had been arrested a day or two earlier). Sure, I like he songs, I know them halfway... sure...

From Texas back to Calif and up the Pacific Coast to Seattle, where the tour ended. Bobby Bare was playing up there, and I joined his band for the tour eastward.

Buffett's tour was filled with stoners and dopers, and dealers with guns. Ugh. My fear of being arrested with them - even though I wasn't a 'partaker' - was a constant, by-the-hour dread. I spent most of the traveling time in the manager's car instead of the bus because he too wasn't a 'partaker' and also feared arrest.

At hotels, we'd have a block of rooms. Then I'd sneak down a few minutes, complain about my room and ask for another. "Sure..." And put it far far away from the band, please. If there was a police raid, maybe I'd be correctly not arrested.

But with Bobby Bare's tours, they were drunkards. Some mean drunkards - causing fights when drunk, saying plenty of angry words to create fights, etc.

And vomit.

Gag... so, I ended up riding in the manager's car from after the 3rd night.

I was on-tour off and on until the mid-80s. I'd met my wife, married and centered ourselves in Austin. I was familiar with the music scene, found plenty of work and also started up an early MIDI-hardware and software development company with 3 other guys, back in 1978. I was funding them for a while and in 1981 and 1982 (just after Lennon was killed and my hopes of meeting him and touring WITH HIM were dashed), I started thinking more of the civilian, non-rock tour life.

I'd done session recording into the '80s and kept up into the 2000s. "My" (with 3 partners) computer company was doing well - we were building studios and installing our equipment, our software for film-production companies. for recording studios, for TV and radio stations. And some celebrities as home-studios.

I liked all of that 'construction' and 'sales' a lot more than paying attention to my touring co-workers and their legalities or stomach contents. I had some nice tours - Joni Mitchell was always a huge star to me and when Robbin Ford was sick, I took over for 2 weeks in 1983. Then for her 1984 mini-tours up and down Calif, into Vancouver, over to Toronto and Montreal. I'd met Davey Johnstone years before and when he needed two months off for hand surgery, I was his fill-in for an Elton John tour in 1982, and then again he needed a break in 1985 for a couple of weeks.

That was all rather fun because those were biiiig tours with fancy quarters and good stage-hand crews that knew everything. I did a Billy Joel tour, then a Springsteen tour, back to back in 1986 into 1987.

But I was enjoying home-life and non-touring work with software, and all the travels I had to do were to customers and training sessions on the software for music, vocals, etc. It was all too NICE and comfortable compared to the adrenalin of touring."

This is actually maybe half of the email... He wanted to discuss books, Elvis and WWII history too.

He was a really nice guy... Had that jolly Santa Clause vibe going. Now I suspect he may have a bit of a "Walter Mitty" vibe going too. I don't know if he could even play two notes in succession. I don't want to be rude and not respond to his questions, but that's exactly what I'm going to do... I just don't want to connect with this poor guy any further than a simple business transaction. Kinda sad...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

He spins a pretty good tale, whether it's true or not...

3. KHAN

KHAN Member

2 thumbs up. Would read again.

4. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

He sounds like Guy Clark, who sadly passed away in 2017.

Vic Interceptor and zzmoore like this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

6. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I was really hoping you’d reply. A lot has happened since I last wrote.

7. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

Oddly, the MIDI standard, named and largely developed by Dave Smith (Sequential) first appears, with that name, in 1982. So ‘78 is really early. Like preMIDI.

8. Louthunder

Louthunder Member

I'll bet this guys eyes are brown,cause he's so full of BS !! lol

Beano Addict likes this.
  9. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I don’t think I believe his claim of not being a “partaker.”

JCantrell, whitehall, EarleG and 10 others like this.
  10. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

I guess the real question here is- much did the guitar weigh?

11. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

have him sign the guitar.
    buy it back.
    sell it on.
    buy a dumble.

12. strike3

strike3 Member

I'd bet every word is true. It's just weird enough

13. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

hey, I was just trying to be, like, friendly, you know. bet you didn't know I was on here, too. Fine, don't answer my questions.

uh huu huu huu huu, I'll be fine, don't worry about me :cry:

14. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

So what kind of guitar was it?

carolinaeasy and indeedido like this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

He sounds like he must be a great player, and an extraordinarily lucky individual with excellent timing of meeting people...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  16. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

That was my first thought as well.

But I suspect that Thump is right and he’s just lonely.

17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I think he's on TGP...

18. JPH118

JPH118 Member

THE ARISTOCRATS!!

But I’d play along, always up for a good story before bed.

19. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

Grandios sense of self... might be a sociopath. I mean come on, he seems to have been a huge part of "music" but who is he. Wouldn't we have heard?

Zandalf and DiAmoroso like this.
  20. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i never laughed so hard... ha ha ha ha ha

keenan, gibson3798, Scrapperz and 3 others like this.