• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I still can’t make a strat sound good

cra1987

Ok, that’s a bit dramatic as a strat was my only guitar for a few years when I took electric playing back up a little over 3 years ago. And I can make it sound good for a lot of styles.

But the strat blues thing isn’t really my thing, and once every few months I step into a frustrating rabbit hole. You know the type of playing, the Hendrix/SRV/Mayer thing. A lot of people make it look easy. But then when I record it, mine just sounds so..thin and dinky haha.

Granted this is a phone recording, but still..

…this is a silverface deluxe reverb on about 3, with an Archer.

Mr Fingers

It's music (at least in my opinion, no need to agree) and the guitar's voice, your signal chain, and the amp are all secondary. If you can't make a start sound good, the challenge does not lie in the guitar. Anyone can dial up an OK tone, but without musical notes and phrsaing (time), so what? "A poor craftsman blames his tools."

Mystix

Gold Supporting Member
The basic bits are there. Turn up the amp/pedal, and turn down the guitar volume to match. Dig in and go for it, especially with the neck pickup.
Agree with this ^

Put the amp on 6-7-8

turn down guitar volume

tune to e flat

light on the wrist for strums

hard snap of the wrist for single notes/lead lines

shake the F out dem strings after plucking/picking a note

and you will be in the ballpark

Although it doesnt sound bad at all already IMO

cra1987

It's music (at least in my opinion, no need to agree) and the guitar's voice, your signal chain, and the amp are all secondary. If you can't make a start sound good, the challenge does not lie in the guitar. Anyone can dial up an OK tone, but without musical notes and phrsaing (time), so what? "A poor craftsman blames his tools."
I definitely agree with this. But I just think there’s either a whole separate approach to strat playing or some setting that I’m missing, which doesn’t seem noticeable on a Gibson guitar. I always like the way I sound on those :D

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
I definitely agree with this. But I just think there’s either a whole separate approach to strat playing or some setting that I’m missing, which doesn’t seem noticeable on a Gibson guitar. I always like the way I sound on those :D
Strats make you work for it, but reward well when you do. Dig in and play with purpose; I'm not saying you have to hit the thing hard, but you have to be deliberate with a Strat. It won't smooth over and hide things like an HH guitar can sometimes.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, that’s a bit dramatic as a strat was my only guitar for a few years when I took electric playing back up a little over 3 years ago. And I can make it sound good for a lot of styles.

But the strat blues thing isn’t really my thing, and once every few months I step into a frustrating rabbit hole. You know the type of playing, the Hendrix/SRV/Mayer thing. A lot of people make it look easy. But then when I record it, mine just sounds so..thin and dinky haha.

Granted this is a phone recording, but still..

…this is a silverface deluxe reverb on about 3, with an Archer.
So what are your settings? I agree with others to turn your amp up. Are the tone knobs on your guitar on 10? I usually back them off just a bit.

neck pickup, turn up and dig in, play it like you're mad with it, rake into the bends and chikka chikka between notes...it'll get you into the mindset of a strat being more percussive. Raise the action if you need to i.e. if it's too buzzy. If it still sounds too sweet drop to Eb and see if that brings it to life

cra1987

So what are your settings? I agree with others to turn your amp up. Are the tone knobs on your guitar on 10? I usually back them off just a bit.
I think volume was on 10 and tone at about 8 for this. It’s the neck/middle combo. I find it’s a delicate balance that sounds bad quickly when I add too much gain. But this obviously wasn’t enough. Just a one take, far from perfect attempt to see how it sounded on a video.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
I think volume was on 10 and tone at about 8 for this. It’s the neck/middle combo. I find it’s a delicate balance that sounds bad quickly when I add too much gain. But this obviously wasn’t enough. Just a one take, far from perfect attempt to see how it sounded on a video.
I have a 65 drri and use a tube screamer. For OD I turn my guitar down to about 7, my tone pots are backed of between 5-7 . My amp is usually set to 4 at least . I use my picking attack to control the volume . Amp tone , I start at 5-5 and adjust it according to what sounds best.

cra1987

That’s my problem, anyway. I am am often trying to sound like that which I am not. Try a Gilmour tune and let’s see?
In listening back I realized how much that one bend was a gilmour influence. I’m still a billion light years from him too, but if I end up closer to David than Jimi I’ll be okay with it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom