• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I still have doubts about my guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowleri

It stays in tune with regular playing for 2 weeks, but that's me not using the whammy bar at all and playing mainly scales and exercises. When I use the whammy bar for a few minutes of pure whammy bar stuff, it stays in tune, but I've become afraid to use it too much now cause I don't want it to go out of tune. This is the original edge tremolo. The best of Ibanez.

I already took for a setup and the guy lowered the action. I'm assuming he did it right. After the setup, my tuning stability improved but still goes one hair out of tune now and then.

Last week, I was practicing a lot of bending licks on the higher strings and after a couple of days, they went slightly out of tune. I've checked the nut pads and they don't have ridges, but the 1st and 2nd string nut pad has light color marks of the strings.

The reason I have my doubts is that I bought this guitar used for $680 off eBay. This is 2018 model. Normally, this guitar on eBay and Reverb is around $800-900 used. I rarely see it go below $800. Now, the one I bought had a paint chip on the back, so maybe that plays a role in the lower price, but still.

The guy I bought from, told me that he bought the guitar used off Guitar Center and kept it a case for one year, only played it a few times, but never used it much. GC does not sell used guitars, which means someone sold it to Guitar Center. So, at least 2 people owned the guitar before me. That is suspicious.

The guitar is in great condition except for the paint chip, but my concern now is, what if one of these previous owners, adjusted the posts without release tension and somehow messed up the knife edges, was plagued with tuning issues ever since and that's why it was sold twice?

All I can do now is take the guitar again to tech, so he can inspect everything, especially the knife edges, if everything is ok, then maybe I'll install a trem stabilizer.

I can afford a new guitar is like $950 from Ibanez Rules and comes with a perfect setup. If I sell this used one, I could get $700-800 easily.

I feel like if I keep the used, I'll always have doubts in my mind that something is wrong with it.

I feel this way because I read of people with Floyds whose trems never go out of tune regardless of what they do, so why mine does?

It's not a case of a tuner either, as I check with other tuners to confirm.

Last edited:

Fowleri

After a couple days? How the hell long do you expect it to stay in tune for? :facepalm
is supposed to be the best trem in the world next to Floyd if not better according to some people

Is the same trem Steve Vai and Satriani use

also, the strings are locked properly

I keep reading of people who say their Floyds never go out of tune regardless of what they do, even after weeks, how can this be possible?

maybe my expectations are too high or maybe there is something wrong with my tremolo

Fowleri

Expecting different replies than you've already received in all of your other threads on this exact same topic?
well, don't you think is suspicious that 2 people owned it before me and they both sold it?

what is the number one reason why guitars with trem systems are usually sold used?

the knife edges are worn out

I never asked my tech if my knife edges are good, I don't even know if checked them or lubed them, so only way to know is to go to him again.

jazzkritter

Gold Supporting Member
Having bought two guitars from Ibanezrules (Rich) you’re going to get a very good deal and setup. (That’s an AF200 in front in the pic)
it sounds like this one will never feel ‘right’.
I say treat yourself .

ixnay

well, don't you think is suspicious that 2 people owned it before me and they both sold it?

what is the number one reason why guitars with trem systems are usually sold used?

the knife edges are worn out

I never asked my tech if my knife edge are good, I don't even if checked them or lubed them.
There is nothing suspicious about it. People buy and sell guitars all the time for any number of reasons.

But you already know that. You just want attention. You've proven that over and over in all of the nonsense threads you've started here in the last few weeks.

Fowleri

There is nothing suspicious about it. People buy and sell guitars all the time for any number of reasons.

But you already know that. You just want attention. You've proven that over and over in all of the nonsense threads you've started here in the last few weeks.
then why my guitar goes out of tune after some bendings or using the bar too much while other people here claim that their floyds never go out of tune for weeks regardless of what they do?

How do you know the knife edge are not partially worn out or at least one of them? considering most of my issue happen on the higher strings

ixnay

then why my guitar goes out of tune after some bendings or using the bar too much while other people here claim that their floyds never go out of tune for weeks regardless of what they do?

How do you know the knife edge are not partially worn out or at least one of them? considering most of my issue happen on the higher strings
This is based solely on reading more of your posts than any person should have to endure, but I'm pretty sure the reason your guitar goes out of tune is because you have no idea what you're doing. The only reason you're bringing up knife edges is because someone mentioned it in a previous thread and you think that validates your original belief that your guitar is a 'lemon'.

Do us all a favor and sell your guitar to someone that knows how to setup a floating bridge and buy a hard tail. And if you do that, please don't start a thread telling us how hard tail guitars smell funny.

Fowleri

This is based solely on reading more of your posts than any person should have to endure, but I'm pretty sure the reason your guitar goes out of tune is because you have no idea what you're doing. The only reason you're bringing up knife edges is because someone mentioned it in a previous thread and you think that validates your original belief that your guitar is a 'lemon'.

Do us all a favor and sell your guitar to someone that knows how to setup a floating bridge and buy a hard tail. And if you do that, please don't start a thread telling us how hard tail guitars smell funny.
but don't people say that hardtails have worse tuning stability than doble locking trem?

I owned a hardtail before and that thing went out of tune almost daily, albeit, it was a cheap $200 guitar but still

gunslinger

Sometimes my guitar goes out of tune while I'm playing it. I just re-tune. It doesn't even have a tremolo. Sometimes it goes out of tune overnight because of humidity changes. Strings can stretch while we're playing the guitar. Just re-tune as needed. And if you have to you can always buy replacement parts for your tremolo.

ixnay

but don't people say that hardtails have worse tuning stability than doble locking trem?

I owned a hardtail before and that thing went out of tune almost daily, albeit, it was a cheap $200 guitar but still
Further evidence that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe you shouldn't take what 'people say' so literally. People say Gibson headstocks break if you look at them wrong, but that doesn't make it true.

gunslinger

Is the same trem Steve Vai and Satriani use
They probably have tuners among their pedal boards so they can re-tune as needed.

I keep reading of people who say their Floyds never go out of tune regardless of what they do, even after weeks, how can this be possible?
I don't believe it.

maybe my expectations are too high or maybe there is something wrong with my tremolo
I think it's pretty normal. Also try lubing the knife edges.

ubernerd

If you play a guitar it will eventually need to be retuned, locking trem or not. A locking trem just keeps tuning relatively more stable for longer periods of time. If you’re using the trem lightly and it’s going out of tune, that’s more about your technique; the trem would need to be seriously screwed up for it to be the cause, something the guy you took it to for the setup probably would have been able to spot.

All your other olfactory issues and conspiracy theories about used guitars aside, having to tune is just part of playing guitar. If it bothers you that much, guitar probably isn’t the instrument for you. If that’s the case, sell it and find another hobby that’ll make you happy.

Fowleri

If you play a guitar it will eventually need to be retuned, locking trem or not. A locking trem just keeps tuning relatively more stable for longer periods of time. If you’re using the trem lightly and it’s going out of tune, that’s more about your technique; the trem would need to be seriously screwed up for it to be the cause, something the guy you took it to for the setup probably would have been able to spot.

All your other olfactory issues and conspiracy theories about used guitars aside, having to tune is just part of playing guitar. If it bothers you that much, guitar probably isn’t the instrument for you. If that’s the case, sell it and find another hobby that’ll make you happy.
I think I'll have the guy install a trem stabilizer and set it at where pulls are no longer possible, that should give me more stability and happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics