• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I still have doubts about my guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh another thought: Guitar Center most definitely DOES sell used guitars.
I've bought used guitars from them without issues.

Do you know how to set up, intonate and properly balance a Floyd style trem like the edge?
You should learn, there are videos on youtube.

Remember if you had someone set it up for you it may take a while for it to settle in with its new configuration.
Guitars work best with slow changes to their configuration.

I still maintain that even expensive guitars can and will go out of tune if you let them. It's part of the design.
If you want things to be perfectly in tune every time you play them buy an electric keyboard.

modavis99

Gold Supporting Member
Holy smokes!! Is that list real? Have those people really posted that many time in a year? I’ve been on here 13 years and haven’t reached 1000 yet. My Internet cred ain’t worth anything.
I had the same reaction. Someone has 100 posts for my 1 over the course of 10+ years

I suppose I should also state how many guitars I own with Floyd style trems:

5 six string
1 seven string

There is a science to setting them up but even locked depending on string gauge and how heavily you play the guitar it can be brought out of tune.

If you're doing multi octave trem drops followed by pulling back as high as it will go you'll run into stuff like that occasionally.

ThePunisher

Dude. I have a 20000 dollar guitar made for me by a very famous luthier using the “best” wood and parts money can buy. Guess what? It’s been back at their shop more than in my possession since I took delivery on it because it has issues with tuning. It happens. Get over it.

The Captain

Dont let him eat your brains.
Clearly a troll and Naegleria Fowleri is the brain eating amoeba.
I’m sure that’s why he chose it.

This is based solely on reading more of your posts than any person should have to endure, but I'm pretty sure the reason your guitar goes out of tune is because you have no idea what you're doing. The only reason you're bringing up knife edges is because someone mentioned it in a previous thread and you think that validates your original belief that your guitar is a 'lemon'.

Do us all a favor and sell your guitar to someone that knows how to setup a floating bridge and buy a hard tail. And if you do that, please don't start a thread telling us how hard tail guitars smell funny.

Alan Dunn

I mean the only reason I wanted one was for the sustainer and the nice green color but $800, I bought the Ibanez genesis instead

their floyd rose special, seen so many bad experience with that trem on youtube and everyone hates it lol
It's a modded fr special so the usual problems don't apply.

Last edited:

OM Flyer

The Hipshot Tremsetter greatly improves guitar performance by stabilizing your tremolo. It automatically returns your full-floating tremolo to its exact "zero" neutral position, eliminating flutter and sag, so your guitar remains in tune.

With the Tremsetter you can bend strings, play bridge harmonics, aggressive rhythm parts or mute strings, and the bridge remains stable.

The Tremsetter installs on your tremolo guitar in the back cavity where the springs are. When you put the cover plate back on your guitar you will never even know the Tremsetter is there doing it's job. The Tremsetter automatically brings your guitar back to its "zero" or starting position.

Ordinarily, your tremolo relies on string tension pulling against the springs in the back of your guitar. It's a delicate balance similar to the way a teeter totter works. If one side is just a little out of balance, your guitar will be out of tune. The Tremsetter overrides this precarious balancing situation and brings your tremolo back to the exact "in-tune" position.

You can still push down and pull back on the tremolo to raise and lower my stings. The Tremsetter works very similarly to a double hinged door; i.e., the door can swing both ways, but comes to rest in the center position. When you let go or your tremolo arm after you have raised or lowered your strings, the Tremsetter automatically returns your tremolo to it's "zero" position.

The Tremsetter stabilizes your tremolo to minimize "tremolo sag". "Tremolo sag" is what you experience when you bend a string, increasing the string pressure causing your tremolo to rock or sag forward. This puts your adjacent strings out of tune. This is especially annoying when you are trying to play country or blues style double stop bends. Also, when your tremolo sags forward, you have to bend farther to raise the pitch of your strings.

The Tremsetter will give you all the advantages of a fixed bridge guitar while maintaining the versatility of a full floating tremolo instrument.
Thanks, Amazon!

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.14.33 PM.png

Same question as I asked in the Sustainiac thread: have you ever actually played a guitar with a Tremsetter?

TheCount0212

It stays in tune with regular playing for 2 weeks, but that's me not using the whammy bar at all and playing mainly scales and exercises. When I use the whammy bar for a few minutes of pure whammy bar stuff, it stays in tune, but I've become afraid to use it too much now cause I don't want it to go out of tune. This is the original edge tremolo. The best of Ibanez.

I already took for a setup and the guy lowered the action. I'm assuming he did it right. After the setup, my tuning stability improved but still goes one hair out of tune now and then.

Last week, I was practicing a lot of bending licks on the higher strings and after a couple of days, they went slightly out of tune. I've checked the nut pads and they don't have ridges, but the 1st and 2nd string nut pad has light color marks of the strings.

The reason I have my doubts is that I bought this guitar used for $680 off eBay. This is 2018 model. Normally, this guitar on eBay and Reverb is around $800-900 used. I rarely see it go below $800. Now, the one I bought had a paint chip on the back, so maybe that plays a role in the lower price, but still.

The guy I bought from, told me that he bought the guitar used off Guitar Center and kept it a case for one year, only played it a few times, but never used it much. GC does not sell used guitars, which means someone sold it to Guitar Center. So, at least 2 people owned the guitar before me. That is suspicious.

The guitar is in great condition except for the paint chip, but my concern now is, what if one of these previous owners, adjusted the posts without release tension and somehow messed up the knife edges, was plagued with tuning issues ever since and that's why it was sold twice?

All I can do now is take the guitar again to tech, so he can inspect everything, especially the knife edges, if everything is ok, then maybe I'll install a trem stabilizer.

I can afford a new guitar is like $950 from Ibanez Rules and comes with a perfect setup. If I sell this used one, I could get $700-800 easily.

I feel like if I keep the used, I'll always have doubts in my mind that something is wrong with it.

I feel this way because I read of people with Floyds whose trems never go out of tune regardless of what they do, so why mine does?

It's not a case of a tuner either, as I check with other tuners to confirm.
Guitar Center DOES, in fact, sell used guitars.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Probably doesn't know how to stretch strings. Some luthiers don't do it it seems - based on what I heard from people in forums.

Guitars aren't supposed to stay in tune for days. If some do, that's great.

RicOkc

It stays in tune with regular playing for 2 weeks, but that's me not using the whammy bar at all and playing mainly scales and exercises. When I use the whammy bar for a few minutes of pure whammy bar stuff, it stays in tune, but I've become afraid to use it too much now cause I don't want it to go out of tune. This is the original edge tremolo. The best of Ibanez.

I already took for a setup and the guy lowered the action. I'm assuming he did it right. After the setup, my tuning stability improved but still goes one hair out of tune now and then.

Last week, I was practicing a lot of bending licks on the higher strings and after a couple of days, they went slightly out of tune. I've checked the nut pads and they don't have ridges, but the 1st and 2nd string nut pad has light color marks of the strings.

The reason I have my doubts is that I bought this guitar used for $680 off eBay. This is 2018 model. Normally, this guitar on eBay and Reverb is around $800-900 used. I rarely see it go below $800. Now, the one I bought had a paint chip on the back, so maybe that plays a role in the lower price, but still.

The guy I bought from, told me that he bought the guitar used off Guitar Center and kept it a case for one year, only played it a few times, but never used it much. GC does not sell used guitars, which means someone sold it to Guitar Center. So, at least 2 people owned the guitar before me. That is suspicious.

The guitar is in great condition except for the paint chip, but my concern now is, what if one of these previous owners, adjusted the posts without release tension and somehow messed up the knife edges, was plagued with tuning issues ever since and that's why it was sold twice?

All I can do now is take the guitar again to tech, so he can inspect everything, especially the knife edges, if everything is ok, then maybe I'll install a trem stabilizer.

I can afford a new guitar is like $950 from Ibanez Rules and comes with a perfect setup. If I sell this used one, I could get $700-800 easily.

I feel like if I keep the used, I'll always have doubts in my mind that something is wrong with it.

I feel this way because I read of people with Floyds whose trems never go out of tune regardless of what they do, so why mine does?

It's not a case of a tuner either, as I check with other tuners to confirm.
GC does sell used guitars.

How old are your strings? Old strings won't hold tune on a locking trem.

Jabby92

If its not a Floyd Rose bridge.. you can only do so much. Make sure the nut and bridge saddles and string slots are all well lubricated. Maybe try orienting the springs different or use stiffer more stable strings. You can't expect it to stay in tune forever, but if its setup the right way you can usually put it back in tune by tapping the bar (thats how I've always done it). I hate Floyd Rose.

rawkguitarist

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with your guitar or trem. You need to align your expectations with reality. I have guitars with impeccable set ups and surprise... I usually need to tune one when I grab it. Its why we all have a tuner pedal in line all the time... What is the issue with needing to tune a guitar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics