I still like Gibson guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skydog, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

This.

I really like Gibson electric guitars and the sound that a great many players get from them. I find them visually appealing - some are just stunning beauties. I have played and owned a few examples of Gibson electric's over the years that I really liked (a Custom Shop Les Paul R4, the R4 was an extraordinary guitar - a '61 SG Reissue, lightweight and just a great sounding rock guitar - a Custom Shop ES-339, similar sound to the aforementioned SG Reissue with a bit more versatility). As tempted as I was to purchase each of these guitars I decided to pass - not because of QC issues or factory setup but because I know that they wouldn't see much use. I generally prefer bolt-on neck guitars with medium lightweight bodies. I cut my teeth on alder bodied Strat's and that's what my ears prefer. This isn't a Gibson thing. Every set neck electric I have owned over the past ~40 years has eventually been sold because I eventually stop playing them in favor of the bolt-on neck guitars that I owned/played at the time.

I have to agree with Robot B9 though - the QC issues that plague Gibson guitars are simply unacceptable. I have picked up Custom Shop Les Paul's that sounded amazing but would have required several hundred dollars in fret work and a properly cut nut just to play comfortably and to stay in tune. Most Gibson electric guitars that I have demo'd would require a new nut due to being improperly cut nut at the factory. I've seen electronics issues that I could easily overlook as I would have been able to address them at home for little to no extra $$. I find these issues unacceptable though as many buyers may not be able to, or may not be comfortable with, resolving electronics issues on their own, nor should anyone ever have to on a brand new guitar. There's simply no excuse for allowing $1,000+ production guitars and $2,500+ custom shop guitars to leave the factory with intermittent and non-working electronics. None whatsoever.

It's worth mentioning that Gibson's value brand Epiphone manufactures guitars with far fewer QC issues by far than the U.S. built Gibson guitars.

The closest analog to Gibson in the guitar world is Paul Reed Smith. Most every core PRS guitar leaves the factory with a good setup and free of any QC issues. Even their mid-level (PRS S2) and value(PRS SE) guitars come well set up and free of QC issues. If PRS can do this at comparable pricing why is Gibson seemingly incapable of doing so?

I personally don't care much about poor setup on production instruments, whether Gibson or any other brand, as I perform a setup on most guitars I acquire to suit my playing. Many players spend good money out-of-pocket to have their guitars set up for the same reason. Just the same - there is no excuse for a poor factory setup on a $1,000+ guitar

I have no comment on Gibson's acoustic guitars except to say that the relative few that I have picked up to play sounded great and played comfortably with no obvious issues. I have no comment on Martin acoustic guitars as I've not spent enough time playing them to form an opinion.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I love Gibsons. Love the sounds and most of the designs.

It's odd that when I mention some of the QC issues that they've had, plenty of people label me and those like me (Gibson lovers who wished for more-consistent QC) as "haters". No, I don't hate them at all. I just wish they didn't let stuff get out of the shop if it doesn't meet exacting standards.

I've never bought a guitar online, because all mfrs let the occasional mistake out into the market. Pointing that out doesn't make me hate any of them. It only makes me play before I pay.

3. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I still like many of the guitars that Gibson designed in days gone by.

The company calling itself Gibson today is a loathsome company.

4. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I don't think being critical of Gibson's QC or corporate decisions (play authentic) is hating. And a lot of it is fair. I have been critical of Gibson at various times, but still think they make some fine guitars. And if you love them, you should play them.

I don't think this is a sign that Martin is being unfairly criticized. It is evidence that some people like those brands better than Martin. Just as there are many threads touting the superiority of Martins.

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I love Gibson guitars.

I hate Gibson the company.

Julio Iguana, Edmond, Corvid and 3 others like this.
  6. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

I have way too many guitars but I still want a Firebird, Flying V, Nighthawk, Moderne and RD Artist. I have a thing for some of the Gibson models some of which aren't made anymore

superstratjunky and Bftguitar like this.
  7. Bftguitar

Bftguitar Member

love em...

BADHAK likes this.
  8. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

i like em too. So do most people. Having done a massive sell off recently, you post a Martin or a Gibson, you're getting hits. Played fenderish all my life, got an SG in 2018 which led me to an R0 and R8. I don't know why i waited so long..

If i could go back to my young self, i'd say, buy Gibson, Martin and Fender. Classic models, no mods and keep case candy and receipts. But max out your 401k first.

BADHAK likes this.
  9. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

Got rid of my last LP a few months ago, not buying another. I’m all Ernie Ball, I like the neck shapes and feel more than anything Gibson does, especially roasted maple. How much would Gibson charge for roasted maple and SS frets? Probably a LOT!

10. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Of course...one has to go back further and look at where the Gibson designs came from..so maybe they're the ones that originally did some copying. ;)

11. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

It often seems that there are two kinds of TGPers. Those that are lawyers, and those that think they're lawyers.

Really though there's just most of us, who like to play guitar, and play the guitars we like to play.

uab9253 likes this.
  12. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

Maybe so, but the truth is it is the Les Paul, 335, SG, Flying V, Explorer, etc. that became iconic.

There's a reason no one is mad because Gibson is sending PRS cease and desist letters over PRS's copy of the Gibson Corvus.

13. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

For the record, I like the Corvus. But that's not my point -- nobody is copying it right now because that isn't what the buyer wants. And if someone did copy it and nobody wanted to buy the copy, nobody would care what Gibson does to protect the trademark on that 6-string can opener.

14. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I wouldn't say I hate Martin or Gibson. I think they're both fine instruments. I just think both manufacturers have decided to rest on their laurels for far too long. They charge too much money for their guitars when you factor in the Q.C. issues, lack of innovation, tone-deafness to the consumer, etc. They need to either lower their prices to better compete with what else it out there, or up their quality and innovation. Quit selling us the past and sell us the product.

Still, if you happen to like a particular model that they sell new, I see no reason to not get one, if you can afford it. It's not like their Q.C. is terrible, the designs bad, or their prices ridiculous. It's just that when you compare them to other options on the market, it always seems like someone else always has them beat in just about every category other than heritage.

superstratjunky likes this.
  15. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

Two of my favorite guitars to play and record with are modern Historic Gibsons. The electric is a 2010 Historic SG Special, and the acoustic is a 2015 Custom Shop 1950's reissue J45. When I play out or record with them I get the tones I grew up with and love.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    BADHAK and DV52 like this.
  16. motokev

motokev Member

I like my LP Traditional; well built guitar.

David Garner likes this.
  17. Matlock

Matlock Member

I too love brands.

Corvid likes this.
  18. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I've owned 3 or 4 Gibsons in my life.
    Les Pauls are a crap shoot, and not all of them are good guitars.

Every Gibson I've owned had flaws that should have never gotten through QC at the factory.
    I still like them, just my observation.

superstratjunky likes this.
  19. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

So...it's the "iconic" part that gives them the right to claim some originality for design aspects they actually copied...?

I'm kinda surprised that throughout the years Gibson has never said "boo" to Hagstrom and their Swede (my personal favorite over the Gibson LP).

Corvid and superstratjunky like this.