I still love my Mel!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by cffluntouch, Oct 12, 2006.

1. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I have had a beautiful Melancon Custom Artist T for some time now. As it is with all of us guitarists we move from guitar to guitar and get enamored with different ones for awhile. I hadn't even picked up my Mel for a few weeks. Last night I went to a jam with several other guitarists plus a bassist and drummer. I decided to bring the Mel to plug into my Komet Constellation. Wow did it sound great! I always forget about the great playability, tone and versatility with the coil tap to switch between split series and parallel. I always bring at least two guitars to a gig, usually a Les Paul, and a Strat. But I could easily get by with just the Mel. Goes from Les Paul to Tele tones very easily and convincingly. Another guitar player and I traded for a little bit and I played his custom PRS for a while. He fell in love with my guitar. If you haven't ever played one, do yourself a favor and try one! Gerard Melancon is making fabulous guitars and doesn't get mentioned enough as being at the same level as a Suhr, Vinetto, or McNaught. You'll love it!

2. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

3. Don L

Don L Member

You beat me to it, CD! The sick minds think alike... :D

4. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

I'll second that! Gerard is a fine builder and deserves kudos for building great guitars...and for surviving in this difficult trade. Thanks for bringing him to our attention.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I've owned lots of guitars. Been through very "focused" periods of life with gear with certain brands and types of guitars.

I went through a Hamer phase into a very long PRS phase (and I held that banner up pretty high with over 50 of them over about 8 years) into a Tom Anderson phase with stops along the way with Guild, Fender, G&L, Kramer (real ones back in the day), Godin, Gibson... and a more than a few more. At one time I owned over 30+ serious instruments for some reason; just into a "more is more" mindset.

In 2004 I had a chance to order a Custom Artist from Gerard Melancon to my specs, choose the top, etc..

That guitar literally changed my life and to this day is pretty much all I play 90% of the time. There is nothing on earth that this guitar can't do for me. I went from over a dozen PRS and 8 Hamer USA guitars to just my two Melancon's (I have a virtual twin to my Custom Artist in a "T" shape from Gerard) and a Hamer Custom Studio that I've had since 2000. I have two other guitars I keep for emotional reasons but don't play and my Variax 700 acoustic stage guitar and real acoustic from Tacoma. That's it. From over 20+ guitars down to really 3 with Melancon's filling 66.6% of the quota.

They are guitars for life, at least mine are.

And here is the real man named "Mel":[​IMG]

THE guitar for me:
    [​IMG]

The OTHER guitar for me:
    [​IMG]

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Mel's starting to look like Robert Barone.
    "Everybody loves Raymond.".
    :D

S.
    j

7. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

8. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

those Melancons are awesome guitars. Unfortunately, I've only gotten to play 1 in person

Alice ! lol

[​IMG]

9. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I should make my disclaimer before adding my comments. I own and run The Melancon Forum and am friends with Gerard Melancon. That said, like Scott, I was pretty much a bass slut.....buying lots of them by different companies (Lakland, Fender, Smith, PRS, G&L, Modulus, etc.). Gerard made a bass for me to my own specs and. although I intended to purchase it, gave it to me as a birthday gift. That was several years ago and it is now the only bass I own and play. There was nothing wrong with any of the other basses I owned, The Melancon simply gave me a wide enough tonal range that I didn't feel that I needed the others, plus it had the best neck I have ever had on a bass! Although I am not a guitar player, I intend on owning a Pro Artist one day and I suspect that it will be as inspirational to play on as my bass. Melancon Guitars is a one-man operation and I admire Gerard for sticking to his guns and refusing to expand, even when it meant fewer dollars in his pocket.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I have two early, '12 radius, Melancon's
    (made before the office flood according to Gerald),
    & there is no doubt that they are
    on par with my two Anderson's ...
    Great guitars indeed...!!

In addition, they have a certain indescribable Mojo...
    A bit more spice, or something in that vain,
    seeps through both in feel & sound ...
    Not sure exactly how to put it...
    A touch of Voodoo?? (naw, but suppen' like-dat...)

If you can get your hands on one,
    better yet, plug one in,,,
    You'll be pleasantly surprised..

A Melancon may be what you've
    been looking for all-along...

11. Roosevelt

Roosevelt Member

[​IMG]

Man I really want to play one now, as well as 1000 other guitars. :AOK

12. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've never played a Melancon that didn't feel amazing...

(Mel Bay = the man!)

13. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I don;t know why I don't own one.

I've played several and have always found that the feel and the tone was suberb and the quality for the price was spectacular.

Ditto on kudos for a guy that builds really good stuff and doesn't get enough credit for it.

14. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Count me amoung the fans. I ordered a swamp ash Pro Artist in 2004 and that guitar quickly displaced all my others. Even with my Thorn in the house this guitar still gets play time. Fantastic guitar in every way. One of these days I'm gonna have Gerard build me another guitar just like the first, except with a trem.

15. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

How 'bout The Velvet Fog:

[​IMG]

...Mel Torme. :)

Back on topic though...I would LOVE a P-90 Artist (3 of 'em) in koa/mahogany with a rosewood neck.

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

My mentor, Mel........

[​IMG]

17. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

And I LOVE this......

[​IMG]

18. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I'd love to try one but if you don't know somebody who has one you're out of luck I guess.

19. AdamBath

AdamBath Member

some truly beautiful guitars in this thread.

20. JMC

JMC Member

Still love mine too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]