• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I strongly dislike most of you

Fatboy666

Silver Supporting Member
Every time I come in here, I hear about a new amp or am reminded of an older amp I wanted that I forgot about.

My lady hates you all too!

Silent Sound

Have noticed the desire to buy goes away when I practice.
Agreed. Since I've started gigging and recording a lot recently, I find the quest for the ultimate tone to be silly. Every song seems to want a different tone. Every venue seems to favor a different tone. If all you ever do was play the same song in the same room by yourself, then I could see how some people could get as obsessed with tone as they do on this site. But getting out there in the real world, you will quickly come to realize how all of your tonal dreams will be instantly compromised by the slightest variation. Eventually, you learn to control the tone with your fingers and not your gear because it's always going to be a compromise. Once you start down that slippery slope, you start to see how much more important songwriting, composition, showmanship, and adaptability are compared to tone. And that's when it hits you. If people are complimenting you on your tone, then you weren't really blowing their minds with your skills or passion. When you really wow a crowd, like give them a moment they'll remember for years to come, they don't ask you gear questions after the set. They ask you life questions.

radicool

Me, while practicing: "This rig sounds great - as good as I've ever sounded! I'd be crazy to sell this."
Me, next day, while reading threads here: "My rig sounds stale and lifeless. I need that $2000 amp these guys are talking about. And my guitar ain't so hot, either."

eddie knuckles

Gold Supporting Member
Me, while practicing: "This rig sounds great - as good as I've ever sounded! I'd be crazy to sell this."
Me, next day, while reading threads here: "My rig sounds stale and lifeless. I need that $2000 amp these guys are talking about. And my guitar ain't so hot, either."
That and one of those Orange DS-1's and any 'ol patch cable from the 1970's Radio Shack sell off 'l do...

Fatboy666

Silver Supporting Member
I also very much like you guys because every time I come in here, I hear about a new amp or am reminded of an older amp I wanted that I forgot about.

eh, it could be worse. Gear is my only real vice. Not a drinker. I drive a Subaru. I don't do video games, the lady is VERY happy about that.

And my GAS is always about affordable stuff. I'm on the constant prowl to find amazing amps under $400. Or ugly guitars.

nolenuttt

Platinum Supporting Member
I love all of you guys-You tempt us all with expensive musical gear and promises of better tone, which of course improves our outlook on life and our sex drive-At the end of the day, I don't have to budget-All my money is gone.......:dunno

Metatron_X

All I need is one new distortion pedal and boost, another 100w amp and six new speakers and I'll be done forever... After one more guitar... If I can't get the tones I want from this setup then it's impossible... right? Maybe just one more small pedal... Someone please reassure me! I mean, there is an end isn't there? THE PERFECT TONE! THE PERFECT SETUP OF ALL SETUPS!

rawkguitarist

Agreed. Since I've started gigging and recording a lot recently, I find the quest for the ultimate tone to be silly. Every song seems to want a different tone. Every venue seems to favor a different tone. If all you ever do was play the same song in the same room by yourself, then I could see how some people could get as obsessed with tone as they do on this site. But getting out there in the real world, you will quickly come to realize how all of your tonal dreams will be instantly compromised by the slightest variation. Eventually, you learn to control the tone with your fingers and not your gear because it's always going to be a compromise. Once you start down that slippery slope, you start to see how much more important songwriting, composition, showmanship, and adaptability are compared to tone. And that's when it hits you. If people are complimenting you on your tone, then you weren't really blowing their minds with your skills or passion. When you really wow a crowd, like give them a moment they'll remember for years to come, they don't ask you gear questions after the set. They ask you life questions.
I agree and also disagree... I have been *somewhat* obsessed with gear, while simultaneously playing out quite often for thousands of people. I say somewhat because I don’t hold a candle to the obsession some guy’s on here exhibit. In that case, I’d agree with you… But again OTOH, there are guy’s on here that are famous and are world class players and obviously gig/write/record, etc. I can think of a couple that are major gear geeks and it never ends for them.

I for one though am quite happy with my *rigs* (wink) and don’t see myself buying much guitar gear for a while. I have one guitar on order and I need some new in ears, but that’s it…

S. S. Bender

My amp GAS has been pretty low for quite a while, with occasional spurts of interest, usually brought on by this forum. However, those "spurts" get hosed down pretty quickly, as I've lost nearly all desire to throw any more big money at pricey boutique amps. It's not that I don't love the latter, but I made a good decision on the right one for me back in 2009, and have been using it like crazy ever since then. (It's a Carr Viceroy 1x12) That being said, I've always loved the Vox amp sound, and eventually I might scratch that itch. When I do, it's way more likely to be a Vox AC10C1, than a Matchless, Badcat, 65amps, or even a DrZ.

Trending Topics